Sunday, December 17, 2017

T Stands for Tuesday & More Baking and Cooking

    T Stands for Tuesday is where we share a drink related post-You are most welcome to join us, hosted by Bleubeard and Elizabeth-the link is in my right hand column. 
    This is really a wonderful group to visit with each week. Hugs and Merry Christmas to all of you.

  Since my retirement back in the fall of 2003 I have gotten into lots of fun with the luxury of more free time which gives me more opportunities for crafting, baking and grilling etc 
     I always loved to bake but didn't always have the extra time especially around the holidays as I was always working it seems on the weekends and holidays especially-working for that overtime money.
    At Christmas time there are just soooo many kinds of cookies and candies to make-which do I choose lol.  Over the years I have found some good gluten free recipes too, and I like to try new recipes.
   It has always been just the two of us-hubs and I-and now that he needs to watch his sugars I substituted for that as well-he gets sweets and treats and so do I. 
   These past couple of weeks so far I have made a soft molasses, peanut butter, raisin-oatmeal, tollhouse chocolate chips with mint chips, and my two favorite roll out cookies. No new ones this year and mostly regular cookie favorites, although I did make a kolochky cookie that I have not made in years-mostly because it is mostly butter but so good with the different jams-so that one was our splurge this year. I also have not made any chocolates yet-I may still dip some glazed fruits in dark chocolate this coming week and for New Years weekend may make up the chocolate popcorn--then diet time-lol
  Our friend in the Keys did finally get his big box of cookies late on Tuesday.They all arrived in good shape and I think he has half of them eaten already. lol
  So this past week I made up a couple more batches of the Tollhouse cookie recipe for us but used different chips, Splenda, coconut sugar, coconut oil, and gluten free flour. I love to make the roll out cookies so I dug out the cutters and made gingerbread, and a lemon sugar cookie.

all photos will enlarge just click on them for better viewing
    -you will see a few Yellowstone animal cookie cutters that I found after my Yellowstone trip. smiles










   Last week was Hanukkah so I made up a dinner for my hubs. I made him corn beef, noodle kugel, latkes, fresh beets, fresh veggies and pickles. I also made him a batch of shortbread with a Hanukkah mold I picked up years ago. 
   There is a Jewish donut I found a recipe for that I had the perfect cast iron mold to make them in on top of the stop. They are filled with jams and dusted with powdered sugar-I did not get to those but we love them so may make them this coming week.

We have a friend-Mr L-that lost his wife this year after many years of illness. I invite him over for dinner at least once a week. He came over a couple times last week.
   I love love my newest cast iron grill pan for grilling meats especially tenderloins. The meat just turns out so juicy. For the three of us I made a turkey tenderloin-in the package there were two so I just grilled both of them. For the sides I served green beans, corn on the cob, and sweet potatoes. I now steam whole sweet potatoes they turn out so nice and then we add a little butter and a splash of pure maple syrup. This year I purchased a meat thermometer-my first ever and it works out so well for me-I am not good at telling when the meat is done.






Since Saturday was full sunshine I decided a perfect day to make some candy. So I made peanut brittle and then also used the same recipe to make a pecan brittle-I just cooked the pecans a shorter length of time than the raw peanuts. One of my favorite candies that I learned to make with my Grandma on her farm.




For the drink I am sharing today I opened up a bottle of wine and have been enjoying a glass of wine in the evenings. This brand was my father in laws favorite wine during the holidays. So this was in remembrance of him and has become a favorite of ours too.




As you can see I have not changed out my fall tablecloth I need to do that soon-my table just got overloaded with lots of stuff it seems. The second photo shows the handmade Christmas cards I received from two friends of our T Party-thanks so much to the two of you, they are beautiful!

Happy T Day and Merry Christmas everyone!

18 comments:

  1. Oh my, those cookie look great, and I love your animal cutters - they really are something special. Your cooking looks great, too, I think I could enjoy eating at your place! Enjoy the rest of your Christmas preparations, look after yourself, and have a happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay Kathy i'm tired now ... i need to go rest... lol Seriously though woman everything looks wonderful and yummy and i'am in awe of you.. Happy Early T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you received my card Kathy. And all your cooking is making me hungry. I can't wait to retire to be able to have more holiday time. Squeezing things in on Saturday or Sunday is tough. But mostly I love seeing that buffalo cookie cutter. It makes one nice looking cookie. happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the foods sound wonderful. I loved the big bear cookie cutter.I learned to make peanut brittle in home ec class. Never thought of making it with pecans. White Zinfandel is my favorite wine. Holiday or ordinary day. Have a great week and a Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cookies and your cooking - both AMAZING Kathy! I would love to come to your house to taste all this yummie things!
    oxo Susi Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of your cookies look great but to me right now the turkey looks the best ♥♥♥ today is my day for baking and making candies. We'll see how this goes ....haven't made candies for years but we are having an exchange at work this week . I need to start wrapping things too and making sure I didn't forget anyone . It happens :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a mouth watering post to read and see all the photos. Your baking all looks delicious. Your animal cookie cutters look great.
    Happy T day wishes and I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have stopped by sooner, but had to create my own T post. Hard to do when fighting my computer keyboard.

    I LOVE the buffalo and the deer. Of course, those buffalo are pretty special, too. I got hungry just reading about everything you've made this week. Sounds like you love to not just bake, but cook, too. I think that is wonderful.

    So very glad you shared your Hanukkah meal with us, too. I'll be hungry all day now (grin).

    I'm not a drinker, but I had some white Zinfandel at a friend's house one time. So glad you like it.

    Thanks for sharing your cookies, your pecan brittle, your Hanukkah meal, and your pretty white Zinfandel with us for T this week. And happy holidays, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh- to live nearby and be your friend or family member! SO many wonderful sounding treats and meals. I used to do so much more but since losing many of those whom I baked for I don't do near as much any longer (I don't typically eat sweets and hubby doesn't need so much!) Good for you to enjoy a glass of wine after such days in the kitchen:) Merry Christmas and a happy T day too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the hoot of the day are These yellowstone Cookie cutters! they are great, never seen anything like this (well, except moose Cookies, in scandinavia).
    a toast to you and all your cooking and baking... enjoy some quiet days and make your time stressless and comfortable. xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't think this comment went through the first time, so trying again. Bad blogger.
    I said Ditto everyone else's comments. Think you may have missed your calling, Kathy. "Master Chef" would suit you perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm always interested in food and really enjoyed your cooking posts. It must take extra thought and talent to produce all that and still work around the special dietary needs of you and your husband. The cookie cutters you have collected are fun to see. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely post and so many goodies! I'm in love with the buffalo cookie cutter. I still find myself buying cookie cutters. I started when my boys were little and now with the grands it is just as fun, even though they are the ones that use them.......even if they are only used with play dough...LOL! I just don't bake like that anymore...cause I am the one that will eat the sweets and my jeans say no, no, no!!
    Your wine is one of my favorites.......but for the summer. Cold weather calls for a heartier Merlot, for me.
    Merry Christmas and Happy T-day

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, your baking and cooking all sounds so delicious - yum! I'm glad your friend received his cookies ok and it sounds like you may have to send more if he is eating them that fast...lol 😉. I so enjoyed seeing all your cookie cutters, that is one fine collection and I love the Yellowstone ones! When I drink wine I always chose a rosé and it's such a lovely way to remember your father-in-law too - cheers and wishing you a very Happy T Day and Merry Christmas! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the bear cookie cutter best, I think. The cookies look wonderful! All your cooking! I've never steamed sweet potatoes, but that's one of my husband's favorite starches, so I'll be giving that a try. Thx for the suggestion. That meal looks delicious. I've found a red wine I really like, and I just keep it around for my supper glass, but it'd be nice to find something different I like just as much. I'll have to try your white zinfandel. Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your posts always make me hungry, Kathy, but you outdid yourself in today's post! So many yummy looking/sounding things. You have a wonderful collection of cookie cutters (love the buffalo!). I never would have dreamed you could "deep fry" donuts in a a cast iron pan. But that's me.

    I'm hoping you received my card by now and that it hasn't gone astray ;-)

    Happy Hanukkah, merry Christmas and happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Kathy,

    Now I need a bison cookie cutter! :) Those cookies and the candy look fantastic, and the food for Hanukkah, oh my! Your lucky husband.
    I have spent so much time running around shopping and mailing things, I still haven't done my Christmas baking. I'd better get on it!
    Love,
    Marqueta
    p.s. We've offered on a house near Mansfield. Please pray for us, that all will go well with the inspection and paperwork!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My Goodness - you have been busy! Hubby is impressed with the Bison cookie cutter and my eldest son would have loved bison cookies when he was a child - he had a big thing about Bisons and Gorillas and we had to watch programmes over and over again on the VHS player! Belated Happy T day! Wishing you both a very Happy Christmas! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit