Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Brrrr Very Cold Here Today and Deer Visitors

  Wow it was 4 degrees early this morning with wind so Very cold. We are not used to this kind of cold any more. 
   We are getting older now plus we have had very very warm winters here the past several years so our bodies are just not used to this. I needed to bundle up to get our garbage can out at the end of the driveway for pick up-I almost just walked it down but it was really just too cold and allot of ice on the drive way too. 
   This is the first year since we moved here back in 2003 that I decided to pay for pick up service. This summer the recycle center got rid of their convenient place for me to drop things off. I used to recycle probably 80% of it and then we burn the paper trash-allot of it in the wood stoves. So with that being gone and hub's health I decided it was just time to do this. I still recycle all the foodstuffs in the compost pile though.

   With it being colder we have deer visitors every night and lots and lots of birds coming in too.  
   I took these photos thought the bay window and it was getting darker-so not the best quality.
   We really enjoy our wildlife visitors-I buy 50 pound bags of cracked corn at the farm store so large animals down to the birds can eat it. I also go through allot of black oiled sunflower seeds and thistle too for the goldfinches.

photos will enlarge just click on them for better viewing








11 comments:

  1. Oh that is such a lovely deer!
    You are a wonderful woman to buy so many food for them all!
    ♥♥♥
    Enjoy this quite area! Sounds like heaven!
    And make all as easy for you as it is to manage - you are totally right!
    Wishing a healthy and happy New Year to you and hubby!
    oxo
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for one definitely do not like to be cold at all. Weather here has been in the 70s during the day and my boys think that's warm (they are coming from Colorado and NY) but it's just right for me. I don't like it much colder than that and it certainly is a nice change from the 120+ we have during the summer. Nice that you help feed the wild critters during the frigid weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're colder too but as we are not so far south, this is more expected. I've got the wood stove burning trying to keep the house warm since we are having a new furnace put in today. Brrr. Hope you warm up soon. But I do love those deer photos. They must be cold also. Happy end of 2017. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was bitterly cold here, too. Last night was also 4 F. and wind chills put it -11 F. I can't get warm, and even though the heat has run all day long (central heat here), It is only 56 F in my house. I have it set to turn off at 62 F, but it's not reached that all day.

    I LOVE the deer photos. They are wonderful and they look so happy to be in a place where they can get food. Continued happy holidays, dear Kathy.

    BTW, I know your pain about paying for trash service. When I lived in MO, you paid for it whether you used it or not. It was attached to your water bill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're in a cold snap, too, and not getting warmer any time soon. We have a transfer station (in the old days the dump). You pay for a sticker to take your own trash plus you have to buy special bags. It wasn't much more expensive to have a trash pick up company so that's what we do. I love seeing your deer visitors. I know we have them around here, as I've seen their tracks in the snow, but don't usually catch a glimpse. Himself gave me a big bag of seed for the birds. Too cold for goldfinches here. Blue Jays, Cardinals, Snowbirds (Juncos), Chickadees. Plus the squirrels. Stay warm. Only 175 days until the First Day of Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely to have the deer coming so near. Here you have to pay to get your trash collected, they make a fortune from other people's rubbish. Have a nice day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. the photos look wonderful, It would be so amazing to see the deer up to the house, nature at its best. I'm sure they must love to visit when you give them treats to eat.
    Stay safe and warm
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love living where there is wildlife too, we have seen the deer a bit less now that they have polished off the last of my hosta leaves. DH buys the good seed for the birds too, he thinks that is fine since we don't have a dog to support. Have a safe weekend, and a happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. On my blog today you asked: "I am impressed with your dye results especially-after washing and time how did the colors hold up?"

    They (both the black bean and turmeric dyed sheets) had already been washed, but not ironed when I hung them out. So you can see how little color I lost. Since I haven't figured out a way to use them, yet, I don't know how well they will hold up. So far, they still look good as they sit on the shelf in my basement, which is NOT exposed to sunlight. Thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep It's cold outside!!!! Even Mini isn't willing to stay out very long these days. Will be spending a quiet night by the fireplace tonight watching the New Year's shows and trying to last until midnight.. we'll see if I make it :)
    Happy New Year!!!!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Kathy,

    Lovely pictures of the deer! I always feel sorry for them and all the other critters out in the cold this time of year.

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit