Sunday, November 13, 2022

T Stands for Tuesday A This and That Catch Up (long)

   Tuesday is T Day over at Bleubeard and Elizabeth's. Find link in my sidebar. We gather to share with each other along with a photo of a drink reference.

  It was busy days for me last week. I drove in three mornings to the woods house to continue packing up Larry's scope repair shop. A friend that lives near there meets me to help-we do pay her for her time. Got allot accomplished. The second day I decided since bitter temperatures were coming in I better check on the thermostat in the house. Good thing I did as the wall thermostat went out. So the next morning early I picked up a new one along with batteries and met another friend that changed it up for me. He would not take any money but he did say "I will be visiting you December to pick up my Christmas goody package though"  That had me smiling. 

  I like to bake and cook etc and since I don't really have anyone to gift with goodies anymore I started making cookies and candy etc to gift this friend and a few of his friends for Christmas. They always enjoy the peanut brittle especially.

  When I got home I needed to clean house as our Wisconsin friends were coming down on Friday to visit us and check out wineries.  Marie always bakes Larry a "real" cheesecake (he gets a keto one from me haha)  As always we had a good visit. We've been friends for around 30 years or so now.  I drank more wine over the weekend with them then I do in 6 months or more. 😀 There are two wineries in Stover Missouri that I have shared in the past-wow they have both really grown. They also went to one on their way down to us and they didn't care for that one at all.

  Here is just some of the bottles we drank-I am wanting to save the labels on these. These are my ticket into T


Our favorite winery this trip was Dale Hollow in Stover, Missouri. on their site is this video

   The last time we visited was two years ago and it was very chaotic at the time. Covid was still around, so everyone was masked, they had an outdoors band at that time and people were coming into the small building to buy bottles of wine to enjoy. So the place was very hectic. I had bought a bottle there and really loved it. My friends had bought a case but their experience was that it was too crazy busy. 

   I really wanted to go again this weekend because I just really liked the wine there.  Wow what a difference 2 years has made. They built a beautiful large building to showcase their wines, have tastings, and/or sit and enjoy wine with friends. They had expanded their vineyards too-Very professional winery. They have won ribbons on some of their wines too. My friends said wow what a difference from last year and they loved the wine more this trip.

  The day before they go back home, we almost always make a steak and shrimp dinner for all of us.  We went into a small supermarket-the same company that bought up the small store nearest me to check out the meat options. Neither one of us took the time to take photos but oh my gosh what a delicious meal She spotted two huge tomahawk steaks.  Larry and I have never been big meat eaters, but it is a treat for us when they come down. Marie and I are both good in the kitchen but I said I have noooo clue how to grill these so this is up to you how to prepare the steaks.  She said she just learned about doing a reverse sear on these-you bake them to a certain temperature and then grill them on a hot grill pan to the desired temperature. They were perfect-Larry and I want just before well done and they eat theirs on the rare side.  I can't even describe how good these were. Marie "nailed it" on the steaks.   I picked up a small bag of mini potatoes and I had frozen green beans in the freezer to complete the meal.

  Then we had the cheesecake 

 Here is a photo from online I found-I have never heard of these steaks before I really wish we would have gotten a photo of ours, as they were bigger than this photo. We each bought one for two people.  I saved the trimmings and bones to make beef broth for later.


As the weather people promised we went to bitter cold with low 20's f Friday evening-that will continue for the next couple of weeks.

   Before our friends arrived I had been working on a page for my journal for AJJ's theme of collage fodder with hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth. I finished it today (Sunday morning) Hoping this is considered a collage fodder page

clicking on photos will enlarge for better viewing.

  I decided to make a two page spread in my German cookbook mixed media journal and titled these pages November


I used a dried wet wipe that I use when I am painting for the background, added a practice sashiko piece I stitched on one of my hand dyed fabric scraps, stamped trees, stamps, birch bark-one of my last pieces, an eco printed piece I did on paper, November words from the farmer's almanac, and a little leaf in handmade paper from Mia 

   I have a friend that told me once, to know when to stop-and not over do. I decided to use from Crayola a brown watercolor crayon and go over the two tree stampings, a little bit over the bison stamp, and Mia's leaf. I then decided to go over the page that was showing (on the top of journal) and forgot that cookbook pages are Not watercolor papers-lol  I think it did work out ok in the end I also added the green ribbon that came from a liqueur bottle 

   


This page shows the cut out script from the Farmer's Almanac, stamped trees, eco print on paper, the birch bark, little leaf in paper, and I had saved a stack of these utility bills when we lived in Illinois-they used cool stamps on postcards This page I had covered it first with a scrapbook type paper then the cloth I used when painting.



This page has a cut out bear foot print and a cut out leaf from magazines, the stamped tree, a stamp, the sashiko on my hand dyed fabric and the paint cloth.



  A few views here at the lake house.




Sunday morning geese


We love winter squash and this area in Missouri the summers are too hot to find good ones-our friends brought us down these from a market Little things are just special aren't they?


Happy T and new week

44 comments:

  1. Your Lovely journal pages fit November well. I don't recall seeing steak like that. Sounds good.
    Real cheesecake makes me laugh.
    My life is at the no bake out of a box cheesecake. I do make my own blueberrie sauce though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Larry loves cheesecake but to save on sugars I make keto cheesecakes now which are pretty good too-but Marie always bakes him up his favorite

      Delete
  2. Lovely art and fun with friends, that steak looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an enjoyable post. I loved reading about your visit with friends. I am not sure, though, how you fitted so much into one week. Since I am quite the carnivore, I could almost taste those wonderful steaks. Your art journal pages are perfect for November. I especially liked you sashiko stitching piece. We had a cold rain/snow mix which I just was not ready for. I am definitely ready to go into hibernation mode. I finished the brick project today. Now, let it snow (which is in our forecast.)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last week was busy for sure. congrats on getting your brick project finished! I haven't been able to get to any more outdoor projects here at the lake. No snow here as of yet-but very very cold. No wind today so several fisherman were out on their boats-not sure how they keep their hands warm out there.
      Larry is still talking about those steaks-sooo delicious. I will know how to prepare these now.
      I enjoyed putting the collage pages together. stay warm hugs

      Delete
  4. Looks like that you have been having fun :-)) That tomahawk steak looks totally right up my alley! I am always happy to see your lake views...so beautiful, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie thanks so much. always a fun weekend for us when our friends drive down. Happy new week hugs

      Delete
    2. You get so much done all the time, I'm always amazed. Those steaks and wines look wonderful. Good idea to make bone broth from the trimmings. Love the pics of the lake. Hapy T Day, hugs, Valerie

      Delete
    3. And thanks for linking your lovely journal pages to AJJ, much appreciated!

      Delete
    4. thank you so much Valerie I enjoyed making this journal page for AJJ

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you've been busy and having a lot of fun lately Kathy. Steak and cheesecake, add a few shrimp, yummy! We've got these cold temps too, and they say even a bit of snow Wednesday morning. Hello winter. Nice collages. I like those papers. I like how you added the postage stamp too. Thanks so much for sharing it with us at AJJ. Have a wonderful T day and week ahead. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a fun weekend with friends and earlier busy working too. winter is here for awhile too not ready for it this year. I enjoyed making this journal page for AJJ thank you

      Delete
  6. Your collage fodder is wonderful. I love how you added such different things-so much color and texture. Your adventures with the wineries and food sounds like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, it was a very fun weekend for sure with good friends. Thanks about my collage too-hugs

      Delete
  7. Sweet friend you have for no money but Christmas-pressie :-)
    And yay to wine with friends, too.
    Great labels, too. I tried to get labels off, with water, with added detergent... not a chance, sadly....
    Any idea? I think Germans now glue for good...

    Oh, so nice the winery has the opportunity to bring joy again!

    You make me hungry.

    Love your art. Oh, I have so little time these days. Or other. I´m knackered after a work day. Good feeling, actually.

    Hmmmm, your beautiful lake...

    Thursday Ingo´ll share a pumpkin-marmalade-recipe :-)
    Even I like a wee bit.

    Happy T-day! And hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy T dear friend. Jo awhile back suggested adding boiling water to the bottles and wait a bit-usually it will soften the glue and not damage the label but some labels now days just will not come off. I look forward to your pumpkin marmalade sounds good-hugs

      Delete
    2. I tried hot - will try boiling water, thank you. Why do they do that, the bottles go to the recycling bin and brake on the way anyways!

      Delete
    3. I agree not sure why they use such strong glue either

      Delete
  8. You have been busy good thing you caught the heating issue in the other house.
    I have never heard the term tomahawk steak and I do love steak. I looked it up it is a rib eye with 5 inches of bone left on. I love ribeye but my favorite is tbone steaks. I do not each much steak with the prices the way they are.
    your journal is sweet you seem to have thought of a lot of different ways to use your pieces on your pages.
    We are cold now but no shock as 70s was just a big bonus for us.
    I love squash too any kind I love them all.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we love squash too so this was nice of them to remember that-I cooked up the little butternut today-so good. I was thankful too I thought to check the house-as we have been in the 20s at night since then. this was a very expensive steak for sure but I grabbed one so my friend would not pay for both of them which she usually does. this was the best ever steak I remember eating just so good. Larry still talks about it-I may look for one around christmas time to surprise him.
      I took time for a little art and enjoyed this page hugs

      Delete
  9. This is the email comment from our Elizabeth since she is still having troubles with blogger leaving a comment Hi Kathy,

    I tried to leave you a comment on your blog post today.

    I have been trying since before noon to leave a comment on this post, Kathy. I am once again unable to do so. I will try until it goes through.

    You have been very busy. It was good you went to the woods house and found the broken thermostat. Frozen pipes are NO fun. I KNOW.

    I used to buy half a cow every year. YES, I was a huge meat eater and I still occasionally crave it. I was allowed to have the butcher cut my meat the way I wanted it. One year I got what you are calling a tomahawk steak, but the butcher told me it was called "bone-in rib eye." I liked my steaks either rare or medium rare depending on the cut. For the tomahawk steak, I would have preferred medium rare.

    You have created a lovely entry for AJJ, dear. I see we both are fans of The Farmer's Almanac. I love the various bits and pieces you used. Thanks for linking to AJJ using Bleubeard's and my themes, dear.

    That wine looks good and the winery sure has a lot of awards and accolades. Bi wonder you want to keep the labels. Thanks for sharing your weekend, the winery, and your AJJ entry with us for T this week, Kathy.

    Since this doesn't seem to want to publish, I'll send you an e-mail.



    Maybe you could copy and paste this to your blog comments so everyone knows I tried to leave a comment (and didn't flake on you).

    Hugs, E

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful texture on your fodder pages. I like the wipe!
    Great views of the lake. The cheesecake and steak sound delicious. It is always nice to spend some time with friends.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kate, I got the idea to save my paint wipes from Elizabeth. Yes it was good to see our friends again

      Delete
  11. Wow, what a busy week you've had! So pleased that you are making headway at your Woods house and that your friends are helping too, Christmas baked goodies sounds like a good tradeoff to me too ...lol 😊. So lovely to spend time with your friends and the vineyard sounds like they have done wonderful renovations, we've found a lot of places here took advantage of lockdown to improve things too. My hubby would love a slice of your homemade cheesecake, it's one of his favourites. Beautiful lake views as always, stay warm and cosy! Happy T Day wishes! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo Yes I thought that was cute of the guys to trade for Christmas goodies-which they would get anyways-smile. It was really a great time for us with good friends. My hubby loves cheesecake too-he likes it for breakfast too. Happy T hugs

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful 2 page art journal spread! And I love that you have a German Cookbook art journal! That is so cool!!! Your photos are gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing them! Hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon, this is an old German cookbook too that I had picked up years ago at garage sales. I could not bring all of my cookbooks when we moved to the lake, so I chose a few to use for mixed media journals. Happy T hugs

      Delete
  13. What a nice post. Glad you got the thermestat fixed. So much on the post today. I don't eat red mead but the Tomahawk steak looks good. Have a great day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, we do not eat much meat any more-but this steak was amazing Happy T

      Delete
  14. What a nice, newsy blogpost. Lots to read and see. I love to hear all about the wine and the steak. The views from your house are spectacular.
    Happy T Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a wonderful time with friends. I'd love to visit a vineyard, but none of my friends drink wine. I've never heard of that cut of beef, but it sure looks good. Fun journal pages. Very seasonal. Love the little bear pawprints. Stay warm and Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of this cut of steak either so tender with the fat marbling I may look for one during christmas time for us. our friends are drinking allot of wine, they visit vineyards all over the country a couple times a month-the first vineyard was giving large glasses for a tasting-said there is no way I can drink 5 of these right now they drank it for me haha thank you for noticing the little bear pawprints hugs

      Delete
  16. Beautiful misty foggy photos. Your journal pages are lovely, like that little oak leaf.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really enjoyed reading your post Kathy. What a good job you checked the thermostat, and that it was easily fixed with your friends help. Great that you spent time with your friends. I don't eat steak but must say the one you show looks appetising. I always love seeing lake photos - the sky pic looks so beautiful. I love your journal pages and the great use of all those different elements. Thanks so much for sharing at AJJ and Elizabeth's theme. Belated Happy T Day, hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris thank you much, we don't eat allot of meat any more so this was quite the treat for us. Yes I am so glad I thought to check the thermostat as I knew we wre in for a very cold spell the next day. thanks about my journal page I enjoyed making this one-hugs

      Delete
  18. That sounds like such a lovely time with your friends. The wine tasting sounds great (and always better when you find nice wines you like!) and that dinner looks to die for. But I'm sure the companionship was best of all. And what a lovely friend to install your new thermostat! Yes, a baked-good payoff will be dearly loved. Your page for AJJ is lovely, too. How you found time is beyond me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good morning, yes it was really a fun time-we needed it too. thanks about my page-I enjoyed this collage. happy mid week

      Delete
  19. Christmas goody package sounds really good and is a wonderful and very personal way to acknowledge someone for their time and work. Sorry I'm late, things are a bit crazy here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a good post, so much to see and read.

    It's so nice meeting up with friends.
    That steak does look tasty.
    Nice to see your art.

    Wishing you a good week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  21. A great post Kathy. Lovely photos and your collage pages are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit