Friday, June 25, 2021

Cast Iron Saturdays-for Our Independence Day

    Those of you in the USA are you ready to celebrate our Independence Day July 4th?  This last year has been a rough one for most of us, so I will be getting out the grills and cast iron even if it's just the two of us this year.

   This post brings us to my cast iron recipes postings. You are most welcome to share a grill or cast iron recipe perfect for the 4th this week.

 In my inbox I got an email full of recipes from the Spice House out of Chicago-my new online spice and herb blends online shopping site.  This first one comes from them

Hamburger Sliders with Roasted Garlic Mayo


For vegetarian one could substitute a grilled large portobello mushroom, for gluten free use large firm lettuce leaves instead of bread, or I like Udi's gluten free small buns

  This next recipe is also from the Spice House

Chili Roasted Corn


I thought this corn recipe sounded really good, you could substitute spices for what you have in your pantry Their fire salt sounds good though


Braised Dutch Oven Pulled Pork

 Pulled pork will serve a crowd. This one is braised in a dutch oven in your home oven, or could be done outdoors with coals


  This site also gave several recipe suggestions for your pulled pork, besides sandwiches.


Roasted Red Potatoes with Garlic and Rosemary

  Yum I love potatoes like this Potatoes go with most anything you are serving and these are always a hit at bbq's too.



Southern Style Cole Slaw

   This dish is not made in cast iron but could be served in your enamel over cast iron dutch oven type pan.  This recipe sounded delicious and goes perfect with the burgers and pulled pork



And I was looking for simple fish dishes using cast iron-and I found this site with 9 different fish recipes--Here

   Below photo is tilapia, but they also have recipes for salmon, and cod




Can't forget desserts-smiles-

Red White and Blue Cobbler



Gluten free Dairy Free Cherry Clafoutis




and I thought these looked adorable and so good too-not made in cast iron but could be served in a enamel cast iron piece 



Happy Cast Iron Saturday and Happy 4th of July if celebrating

15 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful, Kathy! It’s always a big week for us with the July 4th celebrations, our anniversary (58y), my birthday (78y) and 2 of our grandkids’ birthdays (18y and 9y)...one right after the other for 3 days running. Tiring but wonderful! I don’t do the same cooking you do, but wish I did! It will be perfect no matter that it’s just the two of you. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great month for all of you congrats on your 58th anniversary-hugs

      Delete
  2. I'm always looking for July 4th treats as it is a big holiday for my husband's family. These look good, and the strawberries look like a great light dessert. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before retirement, we would have a huge get together with lots and lots of food for friends for the 4th we would roast a small hog or goat with a few sides, and also everyone would bring something-quite a fun day with loads of food for all Happy weekend-hugs

      Delete
  3. That red, white and blue cobbler is definitely a must! If I just happen to be out on your lake on the 4th I will definitely stop by for I know you will have a feast fit for a King...wait, wait... we don't do Kings here. That's why we are celebrating Independence Day. :~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary-yes I thought that recipe sounded perfect along with those stuffed strawberries-what a fun idea.
      Yes if only more understood why our country was formed-to get rid of Kings and dictators God bless America

      Delete
  4. These recipes all look delicious and colourful, just right for a celebration. Have a great weekend, stay safe, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice line up. I love the garlic mayo and firm lettuce leaves instead of bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks me too I love lettuce instead of bread for a sandwich

      Delete
  6. I loved the corn. It looked great grilled. The Red, White, and Blue Cobbler sounded perfect and I love how the stars and stripes were represented. The use of prepackaged pie crust would cut down on the prep time.

    I fell in love with the strawberry with stuffed cheesecake. I was appalled to read the woman used that horrible whipped topping instead of real cream to make the cheesecake. I can taste that artificial stuff a mile away!

    I have the rosemary, now all I need are those new potatoes and garlic and I can make this fun looking potato feast. I could eat the whole thing (grin).

    Time to start preparing for the feast for the 4th. Thanks for the recipes, even if I can't make them in cast iron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth, I would use my own pie crust instead of a prepackaged one but would be quicker. Yes one could use real cream instead-for sure. I don't do artificial either but many like that.
      Little red potatoes would be perfect which the stores are now carrying-I could eat a bunch of these too-smiles.
      Yes use what pans that are good for you-Happy 4th

      Delete
  7. Sliders! When will they come to Germany?!
    I had one in Perth in 2017 and all you get here are boring kid´s burgers, but no quality-yum-sliders.

    Ingo just said (seeing your slider and hearing my spoken comment), "and when will pies come to Germany?!".
    We live behind a rock. We don´t have pies. (But a pie-maker).

    Hmmmm, I get hungry. YES! At Grill´d (a high-quality burger-chain in Australia) you can also order the burger in lettuce.

    Oh, corn! I have some here and the weather is good, let´s see.
    Sadly a colleague showed me pork is too close to human flesh, so we should not eat it - but what the heck, just had a slice of ham on my Toast Hawaii the other night(s).

    Oh. Wish I could warm up to fish more. It´s always a fight for my tongue to get it down. And Ingo loves fish.

    Not into sweets, but that Cobbler looks awesome!!!
    Seeeee - thank you! Saw yesterday some more wood-strawberries are ripe, off to the balcony in a minute!

    Happy 4th of July - we have no day to celebrate Germany, but one to celebrate unification of East and West. In darn, cold October.
    Enjoy yours :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Iris, I didn't know that Germany didn't have a day to celebrate-(except for the unification) perhaps because it is an older country. the 4th is celebrating our new nation when we fought freedom away from the tyrant at the time England.
      Larry loves to go fishing but does not like to eat fish haha but he does love a good catfish fried. No sliders? that may be an American food invented by the company White Castle.
      we love cobblers can use almost any fruit you like too and doesn't need allot of sugar either.

      Delete
  8. Oooh! Lots to drool over here! I was lucky enough to get some huge field mushrooms last week so we had garlic mushroom burgers two days running! I stopped buying commercial coleslaw a while ago - I often experiment with different flavours, we love apple added to ours...and cheese! The Cheesecake strawberries really appeal! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yumm fresh mushrooms are the best when we lived at the woods house we were able to hunt for several different mushrooms I used to can a bunch too in the little 1/4 pint jars-perfect for them
      I make coleslaw from scratch too it is good with drained crushed pineapple too-and then I mix a little of the juice with mayonnaise to toss. I thought those strawberries were great idea too-hugs

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit