Sunday, July 14, 2019

A Couple Books I Have Been Reading

  I just finished reading another book tonight. These past couple of weeks I have been catching up on reading since my tv is up at the lake house.
   Hubs and I watch totally different films I mean complete opposites So I have actually enjoyed being away from the television which also means no news (with his ptsd he was advised not to watch or listen to news on a regular basis) I do miss the local news and the weather though.
   I have discovered that our local channels will now be out of Jefferson City, Mo and no longer out of Springfield-that will be an adjustment for me-I am going to call and ask if I can get Springfield-we live just a few miles outside of this coverage area.

I thought I would share a couple books.

   I like to read books about our Early American history-up to and including the civil war years-don't care for much after that time period.  I just finished reading The General's Wife: The Life of Mrs. Ulysses S Grant by Ishbel Ross  and if you enjoy this type of reading I recommend this one. I have read books about Grant's life and his civil war years but I really enjoyed this one allot. It was really about the both of them but allot more about their children and then grand children. Information about his soldier years and his presidency too.  I learned more details about them-how they had gotten taken advantage of and lost all of their financials a couple years after he left the presidency. This really brought out Mrs. Grant's personality so I felt I almost knew her. This book just had allot more information shared about their lives.

I also read a book  A Memory of Violets A Novel of London's Flower Sellers by Hazel Gaynor   This was on a really different subject, based on historical facts but name changes and turned into a novel. About the very poor of London selling fresh flowers to survive on the streets. This was a gripping story but the author was a good story teller so there are some twists and turns for interest.  I had read another book by this author that I really loved, this was on sale so picked it up. It needed a bit of better editing which I think is why it mostly got 4 stars but I was glad I read the story

I have also read several historical romance novels from authors I like that I will share in another post.


Today I broke down my 30" weaving loom and got it up to the lake house-now to re thread the pedals to the heddles-I took photos so hope that goes well haha



5 comments:

  1. Those books sound interesting. Hope the set up of your loom goes well. Sounds like you are getting close to moving into the lake house permanently. Happy new week. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading is fun, and I know when you have no tv, a good book can pass the time.

    I hope you get your loom up and working again, soon. I know you will be glad when you are not shuffling back and forth between two houses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting books. A busy day for you putting the pedals to the heddles! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here Kathy. My husband watches totally different TV and movies than I like, so I use ear buds with my iPad. Example, he would never in a million years watch Stranger Things while I’m glued to it. His choices are 24/7 news channels and historical war movies and documentaries. I want to be entertained, not depressed. The way life is going today, I can’t even watch the national news without getting angry and depressed. The biographical novels you like sound good. We could learn a lot from them. Your loom sounds like work, but it is necessary and will be nice to have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The books sound interesting. I used to read historical fiction but moved away from it for some reason. I'm picturing you working your loom while overlooking that lake. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit