Monday, April 23, 2018

T Stands for Tuesday & My March Fabric Journal Pages

   T Stands for Tuesday is where we gather together with friends with a drink related post. Our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth can be found in the link in my right hand column.

   
  Sunday was a nice lazy day for me, it rained all day long. I worked on my journal pages, and read more of the large book Sacajawea (Lewis & Clark Expedition) This has been on my want to read list for a very long time. I had no idea she had lived such a rough life as a child-most of her family had been killed and many children including her were taken as slaves by another tribe)
    We have two couples from Wisconsin that will be driving down for a long weekend visit. They will be arriving around 2 am in the morning, so when they wake up it will be Friday. Looks like perfect weather too by then.  So I will be cleaning up the house and getting ready for their visit. 
  On Wednesday our local friends and us will be going back to the Wonders of Wildlife in Springfield, Mo (where I posted about the aquarium) to take advantage of the free tickets to see the wildlife area of the museum. In this post  I explained that we Did get a call back about our concerns, and I also told him that we were not able to see both parts which we had paid for. So am looking forward to seeing the rest of the museum.

     Over the weekend I have been working on finishing my March pages for my fabric art journal. I needed to stitch everything down and also make up a couple more event pieces. This morning I just finished sewing the first half of the March pages into my journal-loving it!  I noticed though I need to go back and correct one of the sewn in pages as I sewed over the line I needed to-for turning the pages. Other than that I am loving my book so far.

I made a couple videos of my work on these pages. The videos are fun to make but with my very very slow rural internet it takes forever to upload a video and these are just 2 minutes or less. So I will rethink that and go back to more photos probably.








  If I can believe the weather people, then this coming week we will finally see no more freezing and very cold temps. I am sure hoping so. We really needed this good soaking rain today as well.
      How is the weather where you live??


I have been getting back to walking when weather permits. The wild violets are up-I love those. I have used them in all sorts of ways in the past. Healing salves and lip balms, in salads, candied flowers, and one year I blended up allot of the flowers into sugar-violet sugar-it's awesome and very pretty on frostings, and it lasts a long time too. The sun was really bright so the violets look a bit faded


 Up near the house I love to let them grow-here is Miss Calico amongst the violets


I will see if can get some better photos of these violets when it stops raining.

This is the time of year, actually earlier, mid April but we have had much colder weather this year-when we only see a very few deer come up for the corn. Things are starting to sprout out in the woods and many of them are having their babies. This past week we have had this group of 2 or 3.  I usually stop putting out corn now but since the ducks and geese are here I will continue for them.



   I made a fresh batch of my handmade laundry soap last week. I have been making my own laundry soap for over 10 years now.
       I had gotten down to nothing so I needed to motivate myself to fine grate 4 bars of soap-after that it goes super fast. I make up a 5 gallon bucket full-it turns into this nice thick gel when set up.  I save so much money doing this and washes clothes well, no plastic to recycle and safer for the environment especially here in my woods.



   I tried a new cream for my morning decaf beverage. This one is all real no added salt or other unknown stuff haha



Happy T for Tuesday!
   

17 comments:

  1. Happy Early T day Kathy!! Love , love, love your mug with the map inside! Gorgeous! Sounds like you have a busy but pleasant week ahead.. I too am looking forward to the warmer temps.. We did get a nice rain out of that last system and thankfully no storms.. I have a group of 4-5 deer that come around regularly ... and i put out corn for them every couple days.. One doe has become particuarly friendly though i don't encourage it.. I think she is the one that lost her momma quite early last year and is often by herself.. no other family group seems to have taken her in and they often chase her off.. but she's a persistant little bugger where the corn is concerned.. lol Love the wild violets here too . My sister in law has a yard full! I would love to do something simple with them... hmmm.. Really enjoyed your post Kathy! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... you were so creative again , loved to see your fabric journal progress and being with you in the craft room!
    Happy T-Day creative Kathy!
    Hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was good to see you in your craft room, super videos , your fabric journal pages are fantastic and it was lovely to see their progress and being sewn into the journal.
    It sounds like you are going to be busy. Enjoy your visit back to the wild life museum.
    Your soap does look environmental friendly and no chemical additions.
    Happy T day wishes Kathy
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your journal looks so nice! Love all the details that you add to the special pieces. Glad your weather is improving. All our ice has melted except in the woods and in the shadows. Last weekend we were home bound with all the thick ice on the roads, this weekend we were sitting on the back patio in t-shirts in the hot sunshine! Love the photos of your deer. We just have the birds and squirrels here, but they're entertaining as well ;) I hope you have a really nice time with your friends visiting. Enjoy your week!
    Wendy xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed the process of your book Just wonderful. I was itching to pet the pages and finger the buttons and beads. Loved seeing the violets and deer. No violets here, yet. We're probably 2 - 3 weeks behind where we normally should be this time of year. I did see one of the bunnies this evening eating some of the early grass so Spring has arrived. Finally! Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great videos! I have not attempted that yet. Yes, it has been such a long winter. Glad things are warming up your way. They are in our parts too finally:) Good for you to have been making your own soap for so long. So much better yet i just can't get into the process...
    happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed the videos, but I know how long it must take and take away from time you could spend on the internet. However, seeing those latest pages that way, put a whole new light on your journal. It is turning out to be a real beauty you will be proud of at the end of the year.

    So glad the museum followed up and you can visit again, hopefully this time at no cost. AND, hopefully, your husband won't have to walk, either.

    We got rain, too, finally. This last round of "storms" created a slow soaker for me, and that was good since there was little runoff, something that usually happens when the ground is so dry and hard. We got about 1/2 inch, which was great for my flower bed.

    I've considered making my own soap, but so far haven't. Would you share your recipe?

    That sounds like great coffee cream. I must look for it in the stores. The Aldi in my neighborhood is closed for remodeling, so I have to go about 15 miles to find one now.

    Thanks for sharing your videos, your photos of the deer, your laundry soap, and your decaf and cream with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your fabric journal is coming along really well, love it! Love all the beads and buttons, too. Good that things are slowly warming up after the long winter. We had a few really hot and summery days here, and everything started blossoming. That soap looks great, what a good idea. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. i enjoyed to see your Video about the march page - it really turned out great! i never knew there was a Patron saint of cats... and sewing down the pieces with the buttonhole stitch is so beautiful (it is my favorite stitch i think).
    each year i try to get good photos of my hepatica, which probably have about the same violet like your flowers... i think this might be an issue of the camera optics - it always turns out faded, White almost (i treat them in photoshop afterwards, otherwise you would not see the real Color at all).
    have a nice week, Kathy - and have fun putting up the April page!
    happy t-day:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The videos make everything so real, and you have a very soothing voice, Kathy. Moderating temps here too, but no violets yet. We usually have a ton, I’m looking forward to them. Dandelions are here though, bright sunny yellow. Your journal is coming together beautifully! Isn’t it fun to just take whatever strikes us to add to these pages. I’m always getting new ideas for mine, and you have been my inspiration to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I loved your videos! I can see why you are loving your fabric journal, the pages look so amazing 😁. I love seeing all the designs up close and the detail and texture of the pages! The addition of all the buttons, trees, metal pieces, lace trim and beads looks stunning too! It looks like spring may have arrived with those pretty violets and I've never tried making laundry soap, looks fun ...lol 😉. Wishing you a Happy T Day! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad your visitors will have good weather :) We're still having rain here, but highs are in the 50s and 60s, so at least it's not too cold. Your deer know a good thing, don't they! And you get such good photos. Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great videos! love that you focused on the edges on the second one...surprised at the thickness of your 'pages,' and delighted with the peek at your seed stitching, lace, and beaded edging and details...beautiful! happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great videos, Kathy, and I enjoyed your voice over commentary. The book is looking lovely. It was fun to see a bit of your crafting space as well.

    Our weather is getting hot. We've had some clouds for a few days, so that helped cool things down. May will be hotter and drier. I'm already slathering my skin with Lubridrem lotion.

    I'd be interested to know what else is in your home made laundry soap and how it keeps.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there neighbor! At least we are not that far. I live in Conway, Ar. (Central Ar.):) Wow, enjoyed your post. I can't believe that you make your own laundry soap! That's so amazing. I am hoping to retire this next year, would love to see that aquarium, so many things on my list to do!! Your fabric journal is awesome! I love journaling and making journals. Happy T day to you and I see that your drink was non-caffeinated, do you drink Teeccino by any chance? It is a non-caffeinated coffee drink. I love it! If not, you might want to try it!
    ~ Kim (I also just followed you)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your fabric journal is really coming along now. I enjoyed the videos about the March page and about stitching the pages together.
    The wild violets are gorgeous. We get them too.
    I am impressed that you make your own laundry soap. Do you use it in the washing machine? Or do you wash by hand? Does it not foam too much? I get handmade soap but I only use it for handwashes. It comes in a large block. Considering I don't handwash very much, that soap is lasting me an eternity. lol.
    I do like your mug with the map. Beautiful. (Yellowstone?)
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love all the pictures of the wildlife and plant life on your homestead. Looks like a quite and serene place to live.
    Your fabric book is SO lovely and you inspire me every time I see more of it. I really want to make a book but finding the time is somewhat difficult. But it is certainly on my list of things to make. Your blanket stitching a long the edges adds such a nice touch.
    Happy tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit