Monday, April 30, 2018

T Stands for Tuesday & A Very Fun Filled Week

Hi Everyone,
   Another Tuesday is upon us, where we share a drink related post with our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth. You are most welcome to visit and or join us. Link in my right hand column.

  Wow, we have enjoyed a long weekend with our Wisconsin friends.  Our upstairs little mini room that I shared last November for our visitors worked out well for the two couples.
   We have known one couple for probably 25 or 30 years now and the second couple-we had met him from deer camp and now we got to meet his wife.  These two couples have been long time friends and do allot of traveling and partying with each other. Ever since we have moved here, the long time friend's couple have drove down to visit us in April. 
   Hubs and I are over 20 years older than they all are so we were their base "camp" while they went off and did allot of fun things together. I had dinner ready for everyone when they returned (I enjoy cooking so I enjoyed that) 
   Sunday, everyone went fishing in Hubs boat while one of the women slept in and then came over to the house. I decided to bake a lemon meringue pie in the dutch oven so I was just setting it up when she came over.  We then decided to make a loaf of the Irish Soda Bread (the recipe I shared a couple weeks ago) and bake that in a dutch oven over and under the coals as well.  
    We were enjoying the process so much and visiting that I totally forgot to take photos. I did get a couple afterwards photo. The meringue on the pie got a bit more done than I like but it did not taste burnt at all and was so delicious.  The bread turned out excellent too.
    Also on Sunday evening for the third year in row we grilled up a feast of filet mignon, shrimp, asparagus and I also made a fresh spinach-mandarin orange salad, and I made foil packets of potatoes that we tossed on the coals. I had also invited 3 other people. The food was just so delicious. Such good eats and so sorry no one thought to take photos.

Before retirement our friend always baked up cheesecake for Hub's birthday. When we retired to Missouri she continues to bring cheesecakes in April and also sends two more in November for deer camp.  These were a swirled raspberry and lime cheesecakes-both super awesome. Baking cheesecakes from scratch with different flavors is one of her specialties.






Out of the dutch ovens and what was left this morning of the bread and lemon meringue pie





I did the 5k virtual race for Earth Day and just got my swag in the mail today-this one was quite different for a finishing medal; these were handcrafted by Swazi Khutsala Artisians which is an initiative for creating Hope through beauty, design and  excellence. Not sure yet but I may add this one to my journal pages





Over the weekend we were seeing a Baltimore Oriole or two. This morning I switched up the fruit to those juicy very small halos-All day today after our friends left for home in Wisconsin; we have been enjoying the beauty of these birds. I changed the oranges twice today. We were getting up to 3 pairs at a time.




These photos will blow up to larger for better viewing.

I received my next bag of bison roving for spinning in the mail-she had gotten snowed in and couldn't get off of her ranch to mail I love this roving.



    Wednesday our other friends and us did go and visit the rest of the museum in Springfield-this was the wildlife one and dedicated to conservation. I enjoyed this area so much more. The Native American section was amazing as was the three room Lewis and Clark exhibit. Again we were not allowed to take photos with flash. I got in trouble after trying to take this one--this spot was really awesome. When we first entered the museum we saw a movie with the founder Johnny Morris after that the screen opened up for us to enter-that took us to an escalator surrounded with the bison displays-I totally loved that. The photo is not super clear just look close. Most of the very large displays to showcase these taxidermy animals was dark like this. I just did not like that. They must do this to preserve the animals from lights.




My friend Barbara photo shopped my photo for me-how cool is that? Now you can see the buffalo better. thanks Barbara



For my drink today I am sharing a Manhattan. I had purchased this bottle probably about 9 months ago and decided to try it. It was very good-just add ice cubes.




Today is April's Full Pink Moon-more information here  and Happy Full Moon

Happy T Day everyone!

18 comments:

  1. Well again Kathy i'am tired from reading all that you have been up to.. lol All that cooking that you enjoyed doing..lol The cheesecakes look fabulous! Congrats on your 5k bling!! I have yet to see an Oriole ... maybe they don't come thru here.. I did pick out the female Grosbeak thats a mate to the Red breasted Grosbeak.. my is she drab compared to him.. brown with some striping.. Happy happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, Kathy, if I wasn't hungry before, I am now. Your husband's cheese cake looks better than anything I could ever make. And it looks better than ANY birthday cake I had. These are awesome and your husband is lucky to get these.

    I adore the beaded zebra you got for you virtual run. It is awesome. It would go great in your beaded book, too. I think that's where it should live, at least as a temporary piece.

    You can lighten the photos in a photo editing program. I do it to mine all the time in Photoshop. But I think it's great that you enjoyed that part of the museum so much more than before.

    I've heard of Manhattans, but never had one. So glad you shared this with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, so much lovely food. Love the look of the cheese cakes and lemon meringue pie, your visitors surely had some great food at your place. Love the photos of of the orioles. The museum you went to looked most interesting, too. Glad you enjoyed your cocktail, too! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. These baltimore orioles are so beautiful, i´m sure i could sit there and watch them all day Long... (preferably with one of These yummy cakes by me;))
    in my head one of your nicknames is "the woman who spins Bison hair"... i´m always so impressed by this Special Hobby of you, i never heard this from anybody else. i like the Display of the wildlife Museum, would have been just my Cup of tea!
    have a great week, Kathy, xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy all that food looks good Kathy. I'll take a piece of cheesecake and pie too. Even if it is only 6 AM I would still eat it. Sounds like you had a good time with friends. Those are the best times for sure. Hope you are enjoying your oriels; I haven't seen any here yet. have a great T day Kathy. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dinner sounded wonderful. So nice to spend time with friends. Those cheesecakes look amazing as does the lemon meringue pie. Congratulations for finishing the virtual race. Love the zebra, too cute. Fun to see the herd of buffalo coming down and the herd of humans riding up the escalator. I've never had a Manhattan, but my dad used to own a Studebaker. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you had such a wonderful weekend with your friends, it must have been so nice to see them again! The cheesecake looks so amazing, I would love a slice with my cuppa today ...lol πŸ˜‰. Many congratulations on completing your 5k virtual race for Earth Day too! Your beaded zebra medal is so amazing - I love it 😁. I have never seen a Baltimore Oriole before, they are so pretty and must have been a joy to watch! The bison roving looks so soft and cheers, I'd happily join you for a Manhattan too as it's nearly midday here ...lol πŸ˜‰. Wishing you a very Happy T Day! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, yes Barbara did an amazing job with your photo too - perfect πŸ˜€. Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog and have a great T Day! J x

      Delete
  8. I love that beaded zebra, what a creative medal! Those cheesecakes look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I feel like a fool, Kathy. I could have photoshopped your awesome image, too, although I am glad Barbara took it upon herself to do so for you. AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you had such a good time with your friends. I am like you, in that I love to send everyone out to sightsee and i will stay home and cook lovely meals for the visitors. Your cooking sounds absolutely delish. And the goodies that you did manage to photograph look soooo tasty and yummy.
    Well done on walking the 5k. The beaded zebra is beautiful. That is really a very nice 'reward'.
    I have never seen those birds. I enlarged the photo to see better and they are gorgeous.
    It was interesting to see those taxidermed bison. They are big aren't they. I bet that was an interesting museum.
    I have heard of a Manhatten but never had one. (Coctails are an american thing) but I will look it up and see what it contains. I do like a nice drink occasionally.
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  11. The description and photos of some of the food prepared for your company weekend are making my mouth water, Kathy. What feasts you had. It's a good thing you enjoy cooking so much, because you sure did your share of it!

    The beaded zebra is very cute. Congratuations on your virtual 5k. I love the photos of of the orioles. It must have been exciting riding up the escalator so close to those huge buffalo. Barbara did a great job enhancing the photo

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved reading about and seeing photos of your baking! Hubby is cooking tonight and the smells from the kitchen are great! I loved seeing the Orioles - how beautiful - I could watch them for as long as they were around - nothing would get done!!! Well done for completing your walk - the medal looks fabulous! Great to see the museum too! Happy T day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like you have had a busy but happy week with your friends staying. The cheese cakes and food have me wanting to seek out something sweet to have with my coffee tonight.
    Your photos are all fantastic, I have spent ages looking at them.
    Well done for finishing the walk the Earth day items look super keepsakes.
    T day wishes and I hope you have a good week.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG what an AMAZING weekend! WOW! All looks just FANTATSIC! Happy T-Day! Hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Right....I wanted a bite of the cheescake and lemon pie!! Congrats on your walking.....I know that's been a goal of yours. So much fun being had.....thanks for sharing it with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, I with others who said they were tired just readin about all that you do! Also, I’m one of those that you always make hungry. ;) The bison roving is calling to me. I will try drop spinning again one day, hopefully soon. A Manhattan? Holy moly, the last time I had one a few years ago, I was out of it. I enjoyed it though, perhaps a little to quickly! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a fun time with friends. When we get together with friends I find food plays a very important roll. Eating together is so much fun. And your food looks and sounds delicious.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit