Monday, April 9, 2018

T Stands for Tuesday and an Adventure (Heavy with Photos)


Good morning to my T Party friends, and to all of my other friends that stop by. Tuesday is where we gather together and share a drink related post. Find the link to our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth in my right hand corner.

Most of last week we spent with a friend that drove up from Georgia, about a 12 hour drive for him. We had not met him before but Hubs had conversed with him over the phone for at least 3 years now. Met through Hubs business (scope repair)  He was an interesting person, 80 plus years, healthier than any person I know, and extremley knowledgeable about so many topics. I think he was someone with a photographic memory that retains everything he reads. By the end of his stay I was mentally exhausted lol  I was happy to have met him though. Someone with the highest intregity and morals, only ate one very small meal per day so he fit in with our one meal a day at 2 pm minus the small breakfast we have and no snacks-although he did very much enjoy a small slice of my apple pie (smiles)  The plan also was for the guys to drive to Oklahoma to one of the largest in the world gun shows-where one can see so many relics and vintage pieces. There was an ice storm coming in and it was to be a very cold morning as well (one has to wait outdoors for at least an hour to get in) so I did not think that was a good idea especially for Hubs. So our friend left for home on Friday.

Saturday I began stitching down my March journal pages, when our dear friends (with the log home) stopped by. They had been gone for a couple weeks visiting family further south for Easter. and They have been wanting to go to the new Wonders of Wildlife Museum by Johnny Morris in Springfield, Mo. So we bought the tickets online and went on Sunday. The museum opens at 10 am so we had our tickets set up for that time.
    I was not really sure if Hubs could walk it but all the information online said the walk for both sections was a mile and half-well they were very wrong about that.  
    I am going to need to write to them about our experience and for anyone that has "just had enough" or has disabilities or even small children and just really needs to get out of the aquarium section. I spoke with a lady in the gift shop and she gave me a card on how to do that.
    There were no maps or literature given out before entry, I did not realize how this was set up til we got into it.  In the middle is a very huge circular tube for the aquarium that winds up to the top in three levels and then you walk down on the other side of the tube. So you are walking around in a huge spiral. I didn't realize what was happening til we got higher and saw different views of the aquarium from a different level. There also were sections all along the path of walking around the tube with many smaller exhibits and smaller interactive aquariums-for the  children they could crawl into the bottom, stand up and be in the middle of that aquarium-pretty cool. Also a little petting area of different things. They had exhibits of birds, pelicans, turtles and lots more.
     I hadn't been to an aquarium since I was a kid and visited the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago; so I had forgotten that the fish live in darkness and the aquarium's setup was in total darkness except for  just a few lights here and there. I held down motion sickness from the darkness, and not wanting to fall and all fish moving around me. Had not expected that.  So I really think they needed more lights on the floors and there was no way with all the people that the paths would have fit a wheel chair passing each other. and the biggest problem for us we just needed to get out of there Hubs has congestive heart failure now along with severe arthritis and after 3 hours of walking it was just too much. We asked what is the fastest way out-no elevators straight down from where ever you are-she says 30 minutes this way. ugh
   Hubs had mentioned to me today that what he loved at Shedd Aquarium in Chicago (he was brought up in Chicago) was the fact that they had allot of seating in front of the different aquariums so you can sit and just enjoy the fish-that was not the case here.

    We were not suppose to use any cameras in the aquarium area with a flash, but I did sneak in a couple photos. Not having a smart phone I never realized those take photos with no flash.




 Below photo is the back of Hubs



 These next two photos were taken at the top of the tube.




Johnny Morris always makes everything big and detailed. There was a Presidential section with photos and memorabilia of all the Presidents that enjoyed fishing. There was a huge award room of record fish caught and also walls of vintage fishing things. There was even the boat that President Bush fished in made by Johnny Morris's company Bass Pro There were also several huge boats that were on display with painted backgrounds. On the top of the spiral (above photo) they had a movie room and sold snacks.
   There was a little seating here and there along the spiral tube walk but really not set up for someone disabled.




Our original plan was to tour one section, then go to brunch at Hemingway's (inside Bass Pro) and then tour the second half which I think I would have enjoyed more-hand painted backdrops with wildlife settings. Even a young family with children visiting this museum in my opinion-- would be too much to purchase tickets for both sections for one day. I felt bad that we all spent money for both sections but only toured one.
    Hemingway restaurant is a lovely place with fabulous food. I totally forgot about taking photos to share. I think were just happy to be sitting down lol  The Sunday brunch had anything you would want for breakfast foods or lunch foods-and a huge dessert table as well. Here is their menu We had not been here since we moved down when we retired. All the food was so delicious.
   After brunch we took our friends over to the archery and NRA museum. Situated down the hall from this restaurant. Hubs and I had toured this a couple times so we walked through the archery museum with them and then the two of us found comfy chairs in the Teddy Roosevelt room and let them browse through the rest. These are both free to visit. My favorite in the NRA museum was the Lewis and Clark exhibit.
     


I took a photo of this one below because Ft Leonard Wood is named after this General and I found it interesting that he was Teddy Roosevelt's commander at one time with the rough riders The fort is about 45 minutes from where we live.


On the way to Springfield we drove through a bit of an ice storm, as we reached closer to home snow and then more snow. Where we live we had gotten at least 2 inches of snow.

   This Sunday adventure was a fun day for us as we really do not get out much any more.

  We got home late around 5:30 pm so I grabbed a work jacket and the camera and fed the wildlife.









  These three does must have been waiting up for me ha ha as they came in as soon as I was in the house.

Sunday evening I opened up this bottle of wine. Another red this one a blended red wine. Very nice and smooth-and I love the label so will be saving this one too.



Thanks so much for stopping by and Happy T Day everyone.

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great museum for the fit and healthy. Sorry you were not able to see it all. The aquariums look great. Hope your husband recovered well from the stress. Your deer look great, but it still looks very wintry. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The visit to the aquarium sounds a bit of a nightmare. I would have felt very closed in as well and think maybe like you would have preferred some seating and a proper description of the area layout, You must have been ready to sit down and enjoy a meal. Shame you missed the second part of the tour but it sounds like your afternoon destination was interesting. I hope your husband and yourself recovered well.
    Lovely photos of the deer, what a welcome sight they must be and for them to know they would be fed,
    I'm glad you enjoyed a glass of wine at the end of your day
    Happy T day wishes
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lovely aquarium, but they should have a warning for people with limitations for walking. Love your wildlife, and cannot believe the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love visiting aquariums but today probably would not have been able to see it all either. You certainly have been busy! Love the deer photos- but really, that snow just has to go:( Having my glass of red as I type- so -cheers, and happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful aquarium displays, Kathy, but I can feel your disorientation from the photos. Sounds like you enjoyed the day, but I’m also feeling the peace and comfort of coming home, grabbing a work jacket, and feeding the wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the horse on your wine label should chase this winter weather away.Wow- even you have snow. Looks like you've been busy with some art, a nice visiter and a trip to the aquarium. It's been a busy week. Happy T day Kathy. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, you really should write to tell the responsible folks about your experience, their description obviously was not fair for people with limitations.
    you still have snow? oh my! good for the deer they have you!
    and i love this wine label (i confess such labels often make my decision which wine to buy;))
    have a great week with good recovery - and happy t-day!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you had a great time with friends over the past week! The aquarium and museum looked so interesting with all the beautiful displays 😀. After a busy week I'll happily join you for a glass of red wine and the label is so pretty, I love the name of it too! Wishing you a very Happy T Day Kathy! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a bit unusual to find people who eat once a day like that. You've just found another one - me. I have a protein bar or something similar for breakfast and we have our main meal in the evening. Hubby has the more typical 3 squares a day. Your visitor sounds like a fascinating man.

    You DO need to write to the Wonders museum people. It's appalling that they've made no accomodation for people with disabilities or even for emergencies! Imagine if there were a fire and it takes 30 minutes to get out!! Appalling.

    How sweet that the deer seemed to be waiting for you.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Kathy! What a trip! Loved hearing about your visitor. I think he would be fascinating too! AND i might be mentally tired at the end of the day too. I have to be very careful whatever trips we plan too as i can do way more walking than hubby.. His knees and back just won't hold up to it. And if he doesn't pay for it then he will later.. just not worth it.. Happy happy T day my friend! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. You hafta wonder what they were thinking when they designed that aquarium! Honestly, an elevator at the least, is what I would expect. An emergency exit for those in over their heads. I'm sorry about your experience and hope you get a sympathetic response when you contact them.

    That said, wow! It sounds like it'd be a wonderful exhibit :) Then sitting with my feet up and with a glass of that wine afterwards. Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my, the museum does look interesting, and I love aquariums, but I'm surprised that they haven't updated to accommodate people with health issues and handicaps! at the very least, there should have been signs before entering the aquarium so you knew what you were getting into. not sure how they get away with this, but maybe the laws in MO are different than here in OH.? Beautiful photos of snow, but honestly I am ready for it to end ;) so ready for Spring! happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too bad about the aquarium visit. The New England aquarium has a giant reef tank like you described, but it isn't dark. At least, I don't remember it being dark. I like the pic you took of the girl with her head popped up in the middle of the tank. The deer don't seem to mind the snow. (I do. we have snow flurries today and I want to cry) I love the deer staring straight at the camera thanking you for the corn. Love that wine label. The horse looks like an oriental brush painting. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had planned to be here sooner, but my keyboard had other plans. I remember visiting the Shedd Museum in Chicago, and I remember Hemingway's in Bass Pro in Springfield, MO. In fact, it was the first Bass Pro I ever visited. But this aquarium was new to me. It sounds a bit intense, but one I suspect children would love. I was SO glad you brought back so many memories I have from those places and times.

    Of course, I want to thank you for sharing your wine with us for T this Tuesday, too. But oh the memories are what made this T day so special for me today!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your trip to the aquarium sounds like fun but a lot of walking. Those tubes where you can see all the fish are really neat.
    The wildlife outside your window is beautiful! And I can see that you still have snow.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay Kathy.. Google ate my comment...uuughhh... In case it doesn't show up i want you to know how much i love your wildlife outside and the trip to the aquarium is special... Hugs, Susi - Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The aquarium looks an interesting place but it does seem strange that they hadn't foreseen that they might need an alternative way out! At least your brunch and time in the other museum sounds like a better experience!How lovely that the deer were waiting for you! Belated Happy T day Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bummer that your trip turned into such a challenge. Sometimes they just don't think of the handicap and elderly. The photos of the animals in the snow are very nice but I am so SICK of snow this year!!!
    At least we have had a couple of nice days this week and then colder weather returns but hopefully not so cold.
    Happy Very Late Tuesday!!!!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit