Friday, April 6, 2018

Cast Iron fridays

    I have started up a cast iron sharing event.
You are most welcome to join in with a post (new or old) just link up back to here to help spread the word. 

    If you no longer use cast iron but still have a favorite recipe or method please feel welcome to share. This is a learning and sharing event for all of us interested.
    Any of you that have used your cast iron at events or camping are most welcome too.
   This is for anything cooked, grilled, baked indoors or outdoors in cast iron. This also includes cast iron dutch ovens with the legs and special lids to hold the hot coals.  This event also includes cast iron pieces enameled 


     Happy Cast Iron Fridays everyone and Welcome.


This past week I haven't done anything really special to share with you in my cast iron. We have a friend that is staying with us from Georgia that I was hoping to be baking up some dutch oven pies outdoors but our weather here has not been cooperating at all. Now they are saying snow over the weekend. I say Really? haha
  Just some of my normal dishes instead: eggs for breakfast, I grilled a sirloin pork roast in my grill pan-which is my favorite way to cook tenderloins and little roasts now where I get the grill pan very hot, spray the meat with a bit of olive oil and season and grill the meat on all sides-then turn the temperature down add a meat thermometer and a lid, grill til done. Let rest and enjoy. It's just like grilling outdoors on your grill. I did also make up a skillet of apples.




These apples are easy and delicious and a good way to use up fruit that needs to be worked up. This is good with peaches or pears too. I add just a little water to the pan, spice as desired, and sweeten as desired.This batch I used pure maple syrup. I also add a little instant tapioca to thicken. Cook in you cast iron skillet with a lid til tender. I check them every 5 minutes or so.

   In the mail this week I received my issue of the Southern Cast Iron magazine. In it was something I had never thought of. They were suggesting to chill your cast iron skillet in the freezer, then make up a summer cold pie, and keep in freezer til ready to serve. Just as the cast iron skillet keeps your hot dishes hot longer, the same is true for cold.  Just remember to never put a hot skillet into cold, or a cold skillet into hot water or it may crack.  Here is a link to an old favorite icebox cake that can also be made in your cast iron pan  Here is a photo from that site of the cake





So glad you dropped by





9 comments:

  1. Your food always looks so delicious! Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like your guest was treated to some fine cooking and baking - yum 😁. Those apples looks delicious and wow, I never thought of using cast iron in the freezer either! Thanks for the inspiration and wishing you a Happy Friday and Weekend! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our weather is not cooperating either. Today, heavy wet snow turning over to rain. Not happy. But a helping of those apples would turn a frown upside-down. Like apple pie without the crust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are treating your friend to a lot of wonderful cooking. I am in awe. You always have the best recipes, too. Too bad your weather didn't cooperate this week.

    We are supposed to get snow here tonight, along with ice and wintery mix. Stay safe and warm in your home, dear Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was telling my older sister and niece about your cast iron cooking, and how you only make gluten free recipes. My sister avoids gluten and was interested. Then I told them how you actually made your outdoor stove/oven. They were amazed and said they couldn’t even lift the cast iron pieces much less create the oven. Same from me! My fiber art journal is starting to come along, and only because I don’t have to lift anything heavy. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same weather here:( Didn't get a chance to use my skillet for this week but I'm hoping to make a Dutch Baby this weekend. I can just smell those apples baking in your skillet-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pan of cooked apples looks delicious. Your guest must be loving the food you are making.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I printed off last weeks recipe when I went back to your post. These apples look good. YUM! Maybe I need to try a pie instead. Hmmm. So much to bake and so little time in my life. I always enjoy drooling over your food Kathy. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love apples cooked that way ♥ The cake looks great too and reminds me of the Boston Cream Pie Cakes I used to make the kids when they were young.
    It's been an unexpected crazy busy week here so I haven't been on line much at all.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit