Thursday, July 20, 2023

Do You Have a Favorite Summer Food (s)

    I remember as a kid growing up, the few times we would go out to eat-something we rarely did-we would visit A&W for hamburgers, fries, and root beers. I don't know if these are still around or not, as I haven't seen one since I left home after high school. They did have those trays that hooked to the driver's side window too. (back in the 50's & 60's)  So I think that's where my love of root beer comes from.

  Well I had to research this-Yes there are still A&W root beer restaurants and they also make their own root beer in house. 

   "Our signature item since the opening of our first tiny Root Beer stand in 1919. It's still made fresh on site with real cane sugar and a proprietary blend of herbs, bark, spices and berries".



 

 I also love smores. So every summer I need to make me a few to enjoy. 😀

   Recently I started making them in my microwave, since I don't have a gas stove here at the lake. Before if not over a camp fire, I would make them over my gas stove.  

  I use Pamela's gluten free graham crackers, a good quality chocolate like Lindt dark chocolate w/ orange and a large marshmallow-or two. Just a few seconds is perfect to soften the chocolate and marshmallow.

  The photo came out a little dark-I have chosen a new camera but haven't bought it yet. I am waiting to see how high the electric bill will be as this past month has been very hot so the a/c has been on quite allot.


Recipe ideas for smores-a site for creative smores, the salted caramel sounded good-I love caramel This site had some interesting ideas.



  Happy Friday and Weekend everyone.

19 comments:

  1. Like you we rarely went out for a meal. But I remember A&W and the car hop bringing frosted mugs of rootbeer just the best!
    I do not like smores just a bit to much for me but my daughter loves them.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and those root beer mugs were heavy too-loved those-I wonder if they sell those. I went with more quality chocolate for the smores-better flavors and the gluten free graham crackers are thicker and larger

      Delete
  2. Hi dear Kathy. I LOVE smores, how good that I can't buy them here, it would be too much temptation! Enjoy your root beer and smores, have fun, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie, they are really good-can you get the ingredients though-graham crackers, chocolate marshmallows? you just put those together

      Delete
  3. Kathy, I had no idea what the smores hurt and researched and came to the conclusion that I would like them since they carry cookies, marshmallow and chocolate. I also imagine that they would be ideal to prepare a night of camp with the Boy Scouts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is an A&W place not far from us. They still do the car window thing. Their root beer is tops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is an A&W in East Middlebury, just down the road a half hour or so. The food is good, but pricey. That seems to be the way this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Summer food for me is corn on the cob, potato salad and lots of fresh fruit desserts-like strawberry shortcake. Oh I want some now. I remember A&W rootbeer restaurants. We hardly ever went out to eat either when I was growing up. We only went out for special occasions, and oh yes, my other favorite summer food-maybe my most favorite-ice cream. Have a super weekend Kathy. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when growing up and when I had a garden or access to pick fresh fruits-I loved fresh fruits to in the summer-I don't have access to fresh from a farm any more for that. I do love ice cream too-I need to make some soon. Happy weekend hugs

      Delete
  7. I have never heard of smores! Neither have I seen root beer here.
    Summer food... melon! Fresh from the fridge!
    Certainly not now with 60F...
    Enjoy your summer by the lake, Kathy, hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we love melons too-they are hard to find here this summer though do to the draught here sorry you are having another cold summer-is this normal for where you live?

      Delete
  8. I think summer food for me is salad and the many variations available.

    Happy weekend wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny you should write about this. Yesterday we passed the restaurant that used to be the old A&W up here (which was before Rick's time, so I was telling him about it.) I haven't seen one in years but those were good times!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit