Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Cardinals and Cookies

  Tonight the arctic air arrives. We will be right a 0 f or a bit less but with the strong winds way below 0 wind chills-brrrrr I will be staying indoors for sure.
   Nothing here though like what is happening in the Chicago area where we used to live-this is a repeat forecast that we experienced in the 80's   The wind chills back then was 75 degrees below f That was sooo cold that year. I won't forget that one-we had ice inside some of the walls.

  Yesterday after I threw out the cracked corn and black oiled sunflower seed-the cardinals must have been watching me. Here are a few photos and a video-you can see some of the strong winds.

photos will enlarge to full size just click on them





Doves


If you click on the video it will go full screen size-then just push esc to go back-it is a bit blurry as I moved the camera a bit





Hubs went up to the lake house to work today (Tuesday) and I stayed home and baked up some cookies. I made two batches of chocolate chip mint cookies. One batch with wheat flour, coconut oil, and splenda and coconut sugar, and a gluten free batch with gluten free flour, almond flour, coconut oil, and stevia naturals and coconut sugar and to this one I added some fine shredded coconut.
  Both batches turned out super moist and delicious.

Wheat



Gluten free


I froze half of both batches for later. Tomorrow I may bake up a batch of soft molasses cookies.

Stay safe and warm everyone during this cold arctic blast. what's funny-- we will be in the 60's f  Friday Saturday and Sunday-craziness in weather here.

14 comments:

  1. It was a perfect day for baking cookies. Yours look so good! Of course, I'll have a gluten free one. Yum Yum! Thanks! I am looking forward to those 60s, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw 60's in our forecast too... Crazy! for sure.. Tonight we are going down to 15 i hear ... Although usually we do not make it quite as cold as they say... I'm going to go crawl in a warm bed with 'Valley of the Horses'... lol Take care .. stay warm! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous of the cardinals and the cookies! Stay warm stay safe! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cookies look good and I am always impressed with all the cardinals you get. They are so beautiful, aren't they? I heard on the news you were getting cold. It is coming our way but I don't think quite so bad as you, which is a switch, isn't it? Stay warm. Hope your eyes are better so you can enjoy some reading in a nice warm place. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you have a bunch of cardinals! We have only one pair. DH has been filling the feeder every other day as all the birds are hungry right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brrr. we're getting the artic blast later this week, but not as bad as in the mid-West. Perfect weather for baking and eating cookies. I like how you can't really tell the difference between the wheat and gluten free cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cardinals. We can't convince anything but mockingbirds and wrens to enter our yard, and those mockingbirds are mean.

    Can you believe this cold blast? And I'm won't be able to get that headband into the mail until today. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries-you stay warm as well
      I stopped using bird feeders for the mixed seed mixes and the black oiled sunflower seeds-I toss it by handfulls on to the ground and more birds can get to it that way

      Delete
  8. So warm in your kitchen, and surely smelling heavenly! Beautiful cardinals! We get them, but we only see one pair at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love our regular cardinal pair, but oh! what a joy it would be to have them flock to the food you've provided! I'm just awed by their display there!

    We've been getting highs in the 30s and lows in the 20s, which feels plenty cold to me, and they're predicting highs in the 70s next week!

    While you were baking delicious homemade cookies I was observing National Croissant Day by "cooking" some Pillsbury crescent rolls. I know which I'd rather have ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we have gotten allot more birds since I started scattering seed on the ground instead of the feeders-more birds can get to the seed that way at one time
      the weather is so up and down in temperatures this year really crazy
      I should start paying more attention to the different "days" always kinda fun
      Happy Wednesday

      Delete
  10. Your cookies look delicious and there must have been a wonderful aroma in your kitchen when they were baking.
    The bird photos and video were great to see.
    Stay safe and warm.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cold, i think its a little more than that sometimes, we got a little snow, not what they said we would. I have one cardinal, one mockingbird , a bunch of what i think are house wrens, the ones with the tail that sticks up, an not much more except a few different woodpeckers. Cookies look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we have many different woodpeckers here too-the red headedone visited us this morning along with several blue jays-was wondering where had been

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit