Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Brrrrrr It's Cold Outside, more Cardinals and Pie

It is very cold here and still windy, well I know it's winter but I just don't like super cold anymore. We had ice on the roads this morning too.

Late afternoon I spread out lots of black oil sunflower seed, cracked corn, filled the two finch feeders with niger seed, and also tossed out some leftover plain macaroni noodles and a half bag of corn flakes they had gone stale really fast.

The cardinals came in as soon as I went indoors.





Hubs and I really like the flavor of fresh cranberries and blueberries, so I wanted to make another pie and improve it a bit. 
    I am using a deep dish glass pie pan so this time I doubled the filling so the fruit came up to the very top. I made another cashew nut crust. This turned out soooo delicious. I used splenda in the filling with instant tapioca to thicken it, and stevia naturals in the crust.



  
Tomorrow early afternoon I go in for my first cataract surgery. I am working on staying calm about this. I know this seems to be a "senior" thing that needs doing-lol I am feeling old about this I guess.  We found a really good eye surgeon so all will be good.


On another note-I don't like to get into politics here on my blog, but I wanted to share a link for information about the Constitution and the State of the Union address.
   I was actually shocked at Pelosi not welcoming the President to give this speech. 
    What stung is "Not in My House"actually it is the Peoples House which too many forget. 
   Anyways I didn't remember my history about this issue. I learned that the President has to be invited to speak in the House-he can't just arrange to speak without being invited. 
   He can give this state address at another location, written, over the radio etc. and it is not required in the Constitution  to give this address every year.  I didn't remember all that.
   It would be nice if All the politicians would go to work and stop acting like unbehaved children   Just my two cents worth

17 comments:

  1. That pie looks almost like a crisp and sure does look delicious. And wow-that is a lot of cardinals. We don't usually get them here, so it great to see so many. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pie looks wonderfully delicious. And a cashew crust! We are seeing a lot of cardinals this year, especially early morning. Good luck with your eye surgery. Everyone I know who has had it is so happy they did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pie looks so good, I wish I had a slice of it here to eat with my breakfast coffee! I eat fresh blueberries every afternoon with yogurt, they are so delicious. I don't make pies if no visitors are coming as it's too much temptation. Don't worry about the cataract surgery, I have had both eyes done some years ago and it's not a bad OP at all. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. We get a cardinal pair now and then, but we don’t feed the birds as much as you do. Perhaps we should! They are beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We get a cardinal pair now and then, but we don’t feed the birds as much as you do. Perhaps we should! They are beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m wondering what the crust of your pies is like made with nuts. It sounds beyond delicious! I will have to look that up. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen that many cardinals at once. So pretty. Your pie looks awesome and a slice and a cuppa will go great with Voyager.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pie looks great!!!! Good luck with the surgery!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. !!!!!!! Our cardinal pair are regular visitors to our patio, but I have never seen such an abundance of cardinals in one place at the same time. Your yard reminds me of places where you can go to see bird migrations or hummingbirds swarming feeders. Wow!

    That pie looks delicious. Yesterday was National Pie Day, and I made a pecan pie to celebrate, but it was just a boring pie using a crust from the grocery dairy section. It is good, but yours looks better :)

    Yes, I think cataract surgery is in the future for most of us. My husband is looking at having it done sometime in the spring. I look forward to hearing that yours went smoothly and your recovery is swift and uncomplicated.

    Yes, Trump acted like it was his right to speak on the House floor. It's not. That venue is a fairly recent innovation for the SOTU anyway, and it'll be just as legitimate for him to give his report on the State of the Union in the older more traditional way. Or he can find a new way. I'd support any forum he wants to use. I enjoy political talk :) I'd rather discuss it than not, especially in these days when we need to be reaching out, explaining our views, and trying to understand the opposing opinions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting I agree we need to sit down and discuss things not refuse to discuss which is happening in Washington right now-everyone only want their way and no compromise-very sad
      It is amazing how many birds we have here-but then I have been feeding the wildlife since 2003 that was only a small portion of the cardinals some days it is covered with them some days we will have that many blue jays too

      Delete
  10. I got a lot of bluebirds, not many cardinals. Yea i think many of us will have that surgery sooner or later, i have maybe a year tp go if i am lucky.
    I think the SOTU speech has to be given but the location isn't a big deal, it is suppose to be given in front of Congress and the People.
    I throw out cracked corn every couple of days, the deer for some reason are stripping bark off my fruit trees, grass an nuts are all over the place. They ate our banana plant, along with some other plants, flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave, yes deer love young trees especially in the winter colder months. I tried starting an orchard and also some pine trees but gave up-would need a fence around them that they can't jump over
      the smaller sunflower seed will bring in allot of birds-of all sizes

      Delete
  11. Wondered how you got all those cardinals in your yard. They are so beautiful. You will be so happy when you get your cataract surgery done. You never realize how bad your vision is till this is done and everything will be so much brighter. It's not an old thing. I've known people in their 50s who got it done.l and I don't think that's old. Just make sure you follow all the instructions for the drops or you will mess yourself up bad. You have your drops already right. Also they may nin say anything but stay off the couch mputer for a few days. Let your eyes rest. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved seeing the photo of the cardinals coming to graze beside your home, they look beautiful birds.
    Your pie looked really delicious as well.
    I hope all goes well with the cataract surgery.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can understand your concern about having the cataract surgery. My eyes are so bad and everyone says I should get lasik done but I'm just not so sure about having someone messing with my eyes. I'm sure all will be well. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, how lovely to see all those beautiful birds, I've never seen that many red cardinals before! Your pie looks delicious and a slice would go nicely with my tea this afternoon ...lol 😉. I hope you eye surgery has gone ok, wishing you a speedy recovery! Happy weekend! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow...all the wonderful birds! And now I want pie with cashew crust:) YUM! Hope the surgery goes well. I know 3 people who just had it done...1 eye at a time...and all is well! STAY WARM AND SAFE AND DRY! Aloha!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit