Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Another Dreary Day & Comment Moderation

  The weather people keep saying sunshine but where I am in the woods-no sun. Foggy most of the mornings and then deep in cloud cover.
   A little warmer though-building up to the 50's F before it crashes over the weekend-down to single digits plus wind chills. Brrrr
    
   I wanted to share that I fixed the email notification on my blog here-again. It has been many months since this has worked for me.
   I know many of you are set up to no reply and also don't want notifications in your email either-but I love this set up as responding (to those that are set to reply) is much more personal between friends, and this also tells me if someone has commented on a much older post-how else would I even know that?
   I thought I had it fixed with Mia's instructions several months ago, it worked for awhile and then it just quit again-so on Tuesdays especially I have gone back to responding under your comments or if you have a question I go to your blog and respond in comments.
  Anyways I went through settings again and found a different spot-at least I had not noticed this one before.
  Click on settings and then click on Posts, Comments, Sharing. Under Comment Moderation it says email moderation requests to-and then add your email. In a couple days after I did this I got a request from Google asking if I wanted this-and I said yes. 
  Now I am getting notified when someone comments in my personal email-I do not need to go to the comment page on Google and look for comments that need to be approved. 
    So I am thinking perhaps this is now set up that one needs to moderate comments and then one now has this option to also go into our email as well. 
    So comment moderation is now going into my personal email, and the several blogging friends I have that are also set to reply allowed-I can now reply and answer comments direct to you-again.
  Hope this all makes sense. lol
   Anyways, I am happy now 😃 For me a much better blogging experience to be able to have a conversation with friends back and forth with emails-

  Yesterday was a long day in town-many errands to run. I also needed fresh produce and more bottled water in case we lose electric over the weekend 
    I think the only business I will miss when we move to the lake house is the Aldi store. I really love this store. They always have interesting foods from Germany, great gluten free line of foods, good produce and this one has been selling ground bison meat from time to time. When ever they have it I buy a couple to throw in the freezer. 
   If you like the organic grass fed low fat ground beef you would love this. The meat is very tender, no fat and a mild flavor I like it better than venison. I have saved a bison meatball recipe I have been wanting to make but I was not into something new today so I made us a goulash with the bison meat. 
     and Aldi is the only store near me where I can buy pasta sauces with no added salt. Now that we really have to watch the salt for my husband I couldn't believe that most pasta sauces are over 500 to 1000 of sodium per 1/3 cup serving-that's allot of salt. The Aldi brand is only 25.
   I meant to take a photo before I served this-but this is what is left over for tomorrow I used gluten free elbow pasta made from corn




   Today is catch up with laundry day-whenever bad weather is coming in I now always make sure all the laundry is caught up, house is clean, and we have water.  I am a little concerned with  the weather coming in over the weekend-along with single digits in temps we will have very very strong wind gusts. brrrr sounds cold to me.

   We just found out this afternoon from the seller of our lake house (Hubs is still connected to her on facebook) that just a couple houses down from us and one of her good friends-was badly burned in her house fire-that is totally destroyed. How sad and a bit scary being so close to our lake house. 
    Hubs will find out more tomorrow when he goes up. He usually goes up with helpers to work on Thursdays and I go with him one day over the weekend. Since we had wintry weather last weekend we didn't go up. The house fire was last Saturday. Am hoping most of the snow has melted in our steep driveway-that area was to get 5 to 8 inches of snow.

  Well I have rambled on enough-
Happy Wednesday

15 comments:

  1. I HATE e-mail. Wait till your e-mail gets hacked and you send spam or even worse, a virus to all the people on your e-mail list. It happened to me, and I don't ever want it to happen again to myself or anyone else. That's why I'm a no-reply blogger and intend to stay that way. I believe in transparency, so if I can't say it over the internet, why would I say it in an e-mail?

    I don't know what I'd do without Aldi, although I don't have the options you apparently have. Maybe I do and don't know it, since I don't hang out in the meat section. But Sally, who is fussy, fussy, fussy LOVES the expensive hamburger they sell.

    Gosh, I haven't had goulash in YEARS. It just isn't the same without meat, though.

    We have one more day here before the bottom drops out weather wise. Today (Thursday), the high is supposed to be 38 F and the low down to 10 F. Friday the high is to be no more than 20 F with wind chills taking it to zero (0 F). I just know it's colder than cold, even though I have the heat cranked and the space heater going full blast. I blame much of it on the blown insulation that settled within no time at all in the attic.

    How sad for your new neighbor. I wonder if she will rebuild or move. I just hope she makes it out of the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my husband was on kidney dialysis before his transplant we had to do do low salt food so I know exactly what you mean. restaurant food is even worst in many cases, and as you purchased prepared food too. I hate to think what all this food is doing to our bodies if we eat them. Sorry you are going to need a new grocery store. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think Blogger is haunted. Sometimes features work and sometimes they don't. I have had bison burgers at a restaurant. Really liked them. We don't have an Aldi's close by. I make my own pasta sauce (called in my family gravy). That way you control all the ingredients and it doesn't take long to make. Sadly because of following Keto, any kind of pasta is off the table. I did cheat and have some Banza pasta which was made with chick peas. Quite good. I'll be starting my storm prep tonight as we'll be getting the storm coming through your area on Sunday. The laundry is mostly done. I'll be filling up pitchers for drinking water, and also buckets to flush the toilet. So sad about the fire near you new home. Stay warm and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It appears you understand the ins and outs of Blogger like no one else, Kathy. I hope it continues to work for you the way you desire. I agree, an exchange by email is the only way to go. I never go back to anyone’s comment page for an exchange, and “no reply” commenters cause frustration on my end. I’d like to at least thank a commenter. It’s always something for me with Blogger. I just try to find a workaround if possible. Sometimes I get to the point where I’m spending too much time and thought on all of it, and that’s when I take a break from blogging. So far, so good this time around, but I have given up spending time thanking anyone for commenting if they are a “no reply” Blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree too, sending an email to a commenter is the only way they know that I even read their thoughts. I know I never go back to a blog post to see if the blogger has responded, and I don't think anyone else does either. I use Wordpress and it doesn't have the issues that Blogger does.

    We have Aldi here too, and I love that store!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the email notifications!!!!
    Hopefully you'll find an Aldis' close to your lake house. I love shopping there too.
    We have fog today and it makes everything so eerie looking. I'm still shoveling off the deck from last weeks snow. It's so wet and heavy I can only do a bit at a time. Hopefully I'll have it done before the weekend.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are happier with blogger comments after you change your settings 😁. Your pasta looks yummy and I shop at Aldi too, it's a great store! Sorry to hear about your lake neighbour, I hope that she is ok and recovering well. Enjoy the rest of your week and Happy Weekend! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're having rain off-and-on today, dreary weather, but not as cold as it could be. This time last year we had snow lol

    I am not set up to get notifications via e-mail for comments made on my posts, though I don't object to email generally. I have comments set to be moderated because I started getting tons of spam. I check my blog every day, looking at the comments awaiting moderation section, and that way I see every comment that's been made no matter how long ago the post was. I enjoy discussions in comment threads where anybody who reads the post can participate in the discussion if they like. If I see that a blogger responds to comments I subscribe to the comments on any of their posts where I comment, and I do get email notifications for those. I think different blogging communities handle this differently, as I'd always gotten replies in the comment threads themselves before I connected with the T Tuesday group. That was the first time I got a reply in my email.

    I like bison for meals like chili and meat sauces. I still use beef for burgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too with the spam I was getting several every week and you can't catch those unless you moderate so that's why I started to moderate again.
      when there was no facebook and blogging was more popular we always shared emails so we could communicate better-but things have changed over the years so I just try to go with the flow. If you prefer discussions under comments-which I thought was a good alternative too-I will remember that-

      Delete
    2. I don't mind emails, not at all. I just always thought it was fun when comment threads took on a life of their own. Sadly, most of the people I "knew" when I first started blogging aren't around any more. You are right about how much things have changed. Like you, I'm good going with the flow. :)

      Delete
    3. yes and one can learn from those comment treads too-like the glue from CJ on your post-I wrote down that glue so I would remember it-I don't do well with glues either

      Delete
    4. Exactly :) I often didn't comment myself on random book threads, for example, but would follow them and read the discussions. I got some good book recommendations that way.

      Delete
    5. i think I will continue answering comments on tuesdays especially, in case anyone returns to visit-

      Delete
  9. Pleased to read that you are getting your comments options sorted to suit how you like receive them.
    Your pasta dish looks delicious, just right for a cold winters day. I prefer to make my own sauces, my must have in the cupboard is tins of tomatoes
    We have to travel to bigger stores and I am happy that we can get to an Aldi store occasionally as well.
    I hope the weather doesn't turn too cold this weekend, stay safe and warm.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to make and can up my own tomatoe sauces too, and canned tomatoes and salsa etc. I can control the salt etc that way too
      they have warmed up our weather a bit-which am happy about you stay warm and safe as well

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit