Thursday, January 3, 2019

Sharing Links About Using Wax for Sealing Envelopes

   When I was browsing for a USA product for stamp seals I ran into Nostalgic Impressions-I had purchased my W stamp from them and I also purchased a Christmas stamp last year. 
   I try to purchase from the USA whenever possible and for some reason allot of the wax and stamps are coming from China when I check on Ebay and Amazon, so I needed to hunt online for non China companies. 

  I have shared that I found an Etsy shop out of Canada that makes her waxes the original way-I love them. The year I first used her wax all the wax seals stayed on the envelopes. This past Christmas most did not make it through the mail-I only know of one that did. So of course I was bummed out. I had contacted her about it-and she said the temperature needs to be right but she didn't give me the particulars. Also the traditional recipe for these waxes are more brittle and not as flexible as the newer waxes.
   I am thinking now perhaps I didn't melt enough wax and also I did not spread it out like the videos show.

  When I was browsing online for more information I was led back to Nostalgic Impressions-they have allot of information on their site.

This is their FAQ page-I had no idea there were so many different kinds of wax either To the left on this page-are more clickable links. I have no affiliation with this company-I am just happy with my stamp purchases and I love all the information on their site

Just found some interesting tutorials here from letter seals--and this company also sells wasabi tapes, and I love their melting spoon I like that idea for melting the wax over a soy candle, so may purchase one to try.
  Letter seals has some fun stamps-tea pot, spinning wheel, knitting-very fun This company's wax is made in the USA

This is a nice video link showing the dripping wax and then seal, or using a spoon.

I never would have thought of using a glue gun video here  this might be nice if you are doing lots of stamps  I like the old fashioned ways better.

   If interested in using wax and seals hope this information will help.



photo found here

15 comments:

  1. Very informative, Kathy. I have glue stick sealing wax and the sealing wax with a wick. I appreciate you finding this information for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting kathy... I always thought i would like to add this component to my letter writing but didn't like the thought that they probably wouldn't travel through the mail system well... Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all the rough mail sort machines etc they have come up with a more flexible wax-that will hold up better--but thinking of next time just to put the whole envelope inside another envelope

      Delete
  3. I forgot to mention. Once you run wax through your glue gun, it never is the same again. You need to have a dedicated gun for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting. I’ve never used wax seals before.
    Have a good weekend,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used sealing wax allot in the late 50s and 60s lost my stamp along the way-and got back to trying it out again-it is fun-I love its a connection with the past

      Delete
  5. I haven't used sealing wax in a long time. Sometimes I would just use a candle for the wax instead of buying the special wax. Now, I wonder where my seal is? Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. never thought of using candle wax-wonder how that would stay on in the mail

      Delete
  6. I'm hoping this will post....

    Very interesting. I love the concept of sealing wax. It's so decorative. And historic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It posted-yeh!! U love the sealing wax too and want to use it more often

      Delete
  7. I haven't used sealing wax in forever. Did the seals just come off the envelope during transit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they shouldn't but they sometimes do-there are different types of wax now available now-I was using the old fashioned traditional wax that is more brittle-back then no sorting machines etc to travel through

      Delete
  8. My husband is a fountain pen/sealing wax fan and has always used those sticks of wax that you melt. He used to buy them in stationery stores -remember stationery stores? :( I used to enjoy those places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I remember those stores-miss them sometimes-there are still some hallmark stores around

      Delete
  9. I haven't used wax seals , but thank you for the links Kathy.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit