Monday, September 3, 2018

T Stands for Tuesday-The Cookbook Downsize

     Happy Tuesday everyone, and Wow we are in September for today's T Stands for Tuesday 
   I am hoping those cooler September temperatures with less humidity will arrive soon as it still feels like summer.

   This is where we share a drink related post-share anything you would like to- just be sure to share a photo of your beverage. Our Hostess is Bleubeard and Elizabeth-you are most welcome to join us and Please find link in my right hand column.

  I don't have much in photos to share this week. 
No crafting to share, my thoughts have been on my fabric scrapbook lately, but I still don't have the ceiling light working in my room and without it- just too dark-I have been taking notes on the calendar pages to help me remember though. 
    My zinnias are too sad now to share a photo-I have been collecting the flower heads as they begin to dry-for the seeds. With these hot days many of them have already dried and scattered their seeds before I got to them.

   I made it my week's mission to go through all of my cookbooks-I eliminated two shelves but I still have too many-but for right now I want to keep what I have left if I can.
  One friend came over with her grand daughter one evening and picked out some nice cookbooks for gifts. 
   I had decided to keep my Grandmother's Betty Crocker, and also my copy (these two were quite different) but decided to let go of my Mom's Betty Crocker-as it was similiar to my Grandmother's, so I was pleased my friend grabbed my Mom's copy. Hope that all made sense ha ha I didn't think I needed to keep three copies although these were three different generations which was interesting to see how they changed ingredients and techniques.
    I also have left to find new homes for--a large box of spiral church type cookbooks and those vintage little booklets from different food companies- that I am thinking of putting several together and getting them on Ebay. I have also been looking up prices for some of the cookbooks on amazon and ebay and then putting some up for sale-so I have another box of those cookbooks.
   I ended up delivering 4 very large boxes of cookbooks to the library last week Thursday So that was my first step with the down size process. It will take me a bit to really get into eliminating so many things-we have not done this before. and well I know things are just things but I have always loved having my things-but I do see the need to downsize now. My Hubs is older than I am-so I am not quite there yet.

   I have also been putting some items on Facebook Marketplace-it's free and Hubs has done well so far there. I just listed three vintage blue jean jackets-who knew I was that vintage lol  These are USA made and I have had them for 30 years for sure. These no longer fit as I have gained too much weight over the last couple of years-otherwise I would not be selling those. Which reminds me-I should dig out those "vintage" Victoria Secrets blue jeans which I will never fit into again-sigh.

  This past week we have been back to the high 90's and high humidity, so I feel like I have been stuck in the house again this week. On the plus side I actually found several nice slicing tomatoes in my garden but the beans and cucumbers are no longer producing-just too hot here. The indigo plants are growing back again since we have had some rain-so hoping for another dyeing day with those indigo leaves before the frost.

    My fall on Thursday has been a real "pain" ha ha
 I hurt my left foot and my right shoulder and upper arm. My foot quit hurting Friday-now today (Monday) it has really bothered me allot-feels swollen but doesn't look swollen-so I am thinking I will be asking for two x rays when we go for our 6 month appts on Wednesday morning-for my foot and my shoulder just to make sure no fractures.

  Monday-Labor Day-I got out my heavy cast iron grill pan and made grilled bbq split chicken-It turned out really good grilling it in the house. I also grilled up some fresh veggies for the side dish. Wasn't up to making the pie-so maybe some time this week I will do that.

  We took a couple afternoons to look at a few locations around the lake (there are many communities to choose from) and I was surprised at how many different types of lake properties are available. Some sit up high on rocky foundations with long and steep steps to the water, others are level to the water but those have no room between properties usually (I know I won't be able to deal with neighbors that close after living in the woods with land for so many years). At our age we also don't want to deal with lots of steep steps. We also were in an area that was set up like driving around in the mountains with many tight curves-those properties were steep to the water as well but what a pretty area.
    So it has been fun and interesting so far to explore. Here is a little information on the Lake in the Ozarks-it covers are very large area near us

It has popped into my mind that this coming November may be our last gathering of friends from out of state for deer camp.-we always look forward to that-hopefully they will still visit us another time for fishing on the lake instead.

   I finished up my vanilla frozen yogurt this past week-and enjoyed two more root beer floats-These are one of my favorite summer treats and little splurges.
    I still had this photo from last time-so am sharing it again as I used the same glass stainless straw and spoon.



Happy T everyone!!

26 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are very busy. Hope you soon feel better. Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sounds like you have as many cookbooks as me. I got rid of half of mine last fall, but I still have a lot. I love to read them though. Sounds like it wasn't the worst thing to do a clean out. I wish I had my grandmother's cookbooks but I do have her recipe cards and I wouldn't part with them. My mom didn't cook so I guess in my family the cooking skipped a generation. Stay cool and happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love to read cookbooks too-part of why I have so many. I have several of my Grandmother's cookbooks and her recipe cards too-those are very special to me too.
      Happy T

      Delete
  3. You have been very busy and making progress down-sizing things. I have to get up the ambition to tackle the basement. Maybe you'll be my inspiration. Hope your feeling better. Stay cool and don't over do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks much-I think I did too much yesterday-getting caught up some things before the days of rain arrive

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you have been busy! So nice that your cookbooks have gone to a good home 😁. I have two Betty Crocker cookbooks too which are actually the same, I bought a new one to replace my old copy as it is well used and the pages are falling out but I just can't bring myself to through it away ...lol 😉. Your Labor Day celebrations sound wonderful and I'd like to try your root beer float - yum! I hope you are feeling better soon following your fall, take care and wishing you a Happy T Day! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy my Betty Crocker cookbook too-I may regret giving away my Mom's copy but it went to a good home.

      Delete
  5. i also had a hard time with giving away cookbooks, but one day i decided to gift them to a charity organization, who sold them for good purpose. so i don´t have the bad feeling of throwing books out and hopefully they got some money at the auction.
    concerning the fabric journal: i also do like you. making notes to not forget everything, the time will come to work on it.
    have a great autumn and happy t-day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's what I did with the ones I gifted to the library-they will sell most of them in their book sales to help the library and may put some of the better ones on the shelves to checkout.
      that does make me feel better.

      Delete
  6. My goodness goodluck on rehoming all those cookbooks Kathy.. what a chore.. I know what you mean about not being ready mentally to downsize.. My hubby is 9 years older than i and he might be ready but i'm still enjoying having all my 'things' i've collected over the years.. :) Be thinking about you. Happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi deb-yes it is hard to part with so many things-I am working on it-hugs

      Delete
  7. First of all i sure hope you didn't break any bones from your fall. You certainly are busy. I so get the cookbook thing and I should be going through mine as well and getting rid of some....but it's so hard! I'm thinking that would be a good job for me to tackle once I'm stuck indoors over the winter:) Good luck with the continued purging and home search, and happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it is really hard and this collection began in the 60's so I have allot probably over 100
      I am hoping I did not break or tear anything either-will find out tomorrow
      Happy T

      Delete
  8. Kathy it must be hard to chose the books to let go and which ones to keep. I also collect cookbooks, but cannot part with any as yet....maybe one day. I promise myself not to bring more home, but if its a bargain. I cannot pass it by.
    It sounds like you had a lovely Labour day celebration and I hope all will be well when you go for your check ups.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very hard to part with these books-even though I don't use allot of them any more I still love them all.
      thanks much and Happy T

      Delete
  9. I got rid of a lot of cookbooks in the last two moves. 20 years ago, I got rid of some, then this move got rid of a lot! I had my grandma's, my mom's and then all the ones I have accumulated. Too many. Now, I look up a recipe online! I had what I thought were antiques, but took boxes to the Goodwill. I still have some left , but they are packed if I haven't needed them yet. Little by little, if needed I brought them up. By Christmas, if I haven't used them yet, the rest will go to Good will. I have enjoyed reading yours and others comments to see we are all in kind of the same boat aren't we? Since January, getting ready to move, and then since our move in April, we are in the purging mode. Good luck with your purging.
    Happy Tea Day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It must be hard to pare down a collection that large, but cookbooks will always find an eager taker :) It sounds you house options are fun to look at. I sympathize with the steps issue. Maybe you'll see some more private places with better lake access. Looking at the Wikipedia article it looks like there's a huge area to look in. I'm enjoying reading about your process. Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I came back to ask you a question about cookbooks and was mortified that my comment wasn't there. I KNOW I left one because I was here last night or early this morning.

    I'll begin with relating to your fall. I can definitely relate because I hurt my right hand yesterday evening trying to catch a falling pan. Somehow I twisted it and it hurts so bad, I've been typing all day using only my left hand.

    I wanted to tell you I used to own property at Bella Vista, but the taxes on even the undeveloped land got so expensive, I finally sold the property. I bought it when I was 25 in hopes of building a retirement home on it one day. That is one thing you MUST check into, because if it is developed land and in a retirement community like Lake of Ozarks, you will not just pay taxes, you will pay "association" fees for living there. Be sure you learn about all the hidden fees before you sign anything on the dotted line.

    I also own two Betty Crocker cookbooks. The red and white cover that belonged to my grandmother and the gold one I got when I graduated from High School. Neither one is worth much now, since many of the meals are so unhealthy. I'm like Sharon and find recipes online, now, but I love my cookbook collection for the fact I collected these from thrift stores or at garage sales. Some I paid lots of money, for, too, like one from James Beard and one that was written in the early 1800s. Those recipes are a hoot to read, like dressing a pheasant and stuffing a pig.

    I am so sorry my comment didn't take. I swear I was here earlier and I am so glad to see you still haven't drank your root beer float for T this Tuesday.

    My question I was going to ask was, are any of those church cookbooks of any value, or are they mostly worth something to the people and friends and family who wrote them (or supplied recipes)?

    ReplyDelete
  12. O dear, I hope you haven’t broken anything! Poor you. Hope you feel better soon.
    Well done you for starting the downsizing. It’s hard to part with things. I too love my things,but I had to get rid of almost everything the last move. All my cookbooks have gone too. I have only kept the Jamie Oliver books because I like to ‘read’ those. I have my own handwritten cookbooks and I use the internet a lot of course.
    I looked at the link about the lake. I see what you mean about it covering a lot of area. You will miss your peace and quiet but it will be nice living close to the lake. Watch this space.
    Happy T Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  13. Recipes are so readily available on the Internet today. But whenever I have doubts, I refer to my hard copy Betty Crocker, Good Housekeeping or Fanny Farmer cookbooks. There should be a good market for those treasures! I have a ton of spiral-bound church type cookbooks too - some of which I've never used. I may start re -purposing them in art journal pages or into altered books.

    Good luck with your downsizing. I've done it a couple times and I know it's tough. My hubby is younger than I, but his health is more fragile. So I am gradually downsizing as we go.

    I wonder if you'll be able to reproduce your lovely garden of plants for dye makin in the lake house. I hope you can take seeds and/or cuttings.

    Deer camp to fishing camp - I like that. I bet your WI friends will too ;-)

    Thanks for your lovely comment on my T-post. Wow - you have a 10 burner wolf gas stove, Kathy?! I would miss that too, sniff. But at my age, much is about downsizing and simplifying. I hope you get a good price for it. I always preferred an electric stove when we lived in the US. But in Mexico, electricty is very expensive and electric ranges are even more so.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, three generation of the same cookbook...that must have been so fun to cook from. It is always better to re-gift something with precious memories to someone that you know than to see it go elsewhere. My Betty Crocker cookbook that I received for my wedding is by far my favorite and most used cookbook. I haven't made a recipe in it yet that didn't turn out yummy.
    Hope that you are able to get in some more indigo dying. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  15. Summer is moving slowly away here - a lovely yellow light now and cooler! I feel for you with the downsizing - we used to have piles of things and debated over some things for ages! The decision over where to live eas also a problem for us - although we are happy where we are now! Take care and get an xray if you are stll worrying! Happy T day Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the great and very helpful information and thanks for your lovely comments.
    สุขภาพจิต

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy T-Day Kathy!
    I really need to sort out my cookery books too, I rarely use any of them, and Google is so useful!
    Hope you're having a good week.
    Alison xxx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit