Thursday, September 6, 2018

A New Brownie Recipe

   Here in the Ozarks we are getting ready for the rains that are coming up from that Florida storm- all the way up here to us. The weather people are saying now 3 inches of rain or more from tonight through late Saturday. So of course the warnings for flooded streets--"Turn around Don't Drown" are in the news. We'll be staying put for sure-and right where I live no worries of flooding.

  I am slowly trying out some recipes using almond flour (a protein flour) opposed to gluten free flours or wheat which are full of carbs. Little desserts like brownies usually adapt pretty well. Many of the paleo recipes are using the almond flour.

  I found a recipe online that I tried out today-and we love it!
   I hadn't made brownies using melted chocolate in a long time. Only thing I changed in the recipe was instead of the 3/4 cup of semi chocolate chips-I used a 95% dark chocolate bar that I chopped up and melted it with coconut oil. After everything is blended and mixed together it says to add another 3/4 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips-which I thought was a bit "over-kill" haha. So I had some very dark chocolate bars with orange peel that I chopped up instead and only added in about 1/4 cup.
  They baked up really nice-I cut mine in bite size pieces and my cast iron pan was a bit larger so they came out not as high-but I love just a little bite instead of a large piece.




  

and a little cuteness-Mom and the twins



13 comments:

  1. I have issues with gluten too, and have used almond flour with success. We were expecting rain from the Florida storm today, but it has been a beautiful day of sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. here as well-warm and sunny-but they are telling us 3 inches of rain by saturday evening-we will see ha ha

      Delete
  2. Your brownies look absolutely delicious.

    The rains came to KS three days ago. Now apparently the tropical depression has shifted, causing rain eastward, like IL and MO. Some towns in western KS got over 4" of rain. We got a little over an inch and a half, even though it rained and rained and rained and rained for three days straight. For some reason, I was surprised at the rainfall amount we got. I was sure it would have been more. I won't be surprised that it could be up to 3" of rain where you live. No baking outside and no lake viewing, either (grin).

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do the brownies taste with the mond flour? Do they have a nutty taste? I am always curious how these products taste.There are so many new alternatives and I have tried a few but would like to know more. Hope you get the rain you need but everything inside stays dry. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple things with the almond flour-and the biscuits I made were a bit grainy. In these brownies-I didn't get that. I used the darkest chocolate are I had when I melted it with the coconut oil-to keep the sugars down-but next time I will go with a 70% dark chocolate
      also almond flour does not rise much-so far I think brownies and cookies will be ok with it

      Delete
  4. HI Kathy!!!!

    Dark chocolate and semi sweet so not my thing . I use milk chocolate all the way. lol BUT you have reminded me of a new brownie recipe i came across that i NEED to try!

    I'd say 80% or more of our deer either have their winter coat or its coming in nicely.. a few don't even look like they've started... Aaahh the babies are growing up... soon they will lose their spots.. Take care..stay safe.. They have downgraded us greatly with that storm.. We used to be 3 inches.. when i looked last night they are saying 1/2 an inch.. I think its staying a little more East than first thought.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please send your rain to Los Angeles. We need it more that you all do.

    Oh, and send brownies as well!

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been baking with almond and coconut flours. Muffins/quick breads taste ok, but the texture is very dense and crumbly and not as high as with wheat flours. My big gripe with using the nut flours is the amount of eggs needed in a recipe and a smaller yield like 6 or 9 muffins instead of a dozen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And we're _still_ not getting rain here lol just sprinkles. The brownies look delicious. Deer are always watchful, aren't they! Always alert. I like your multiple feeder pole. I don't have anything that'll hold more than 2 feeders, and I only have one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your brownie cake looks delicious, you have me wanting to get the baking tins out and bake. I will try to resist as it is late at night here.
    The photo of the deer is adorable
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to bake up a little something once in awhile-tonight we had 5 at once-didn't get a photo though

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit