Monday, June 11, 2018

T Stands For Tuesday & Baking Over the Weekend

T Stands for Tuesday is where we share a drink related post about anything with our T Party friends. 
     You are most welcome to join us. The link to our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth is in my right hand column.

   It has turned extremely hot and humid again here in my area of the Ozarks in Missouri. We are now into the mid-90's f actual temperatures. 
    This year I am just not doing well at all in this heat. The pollen and mold count are still high here too. When I go outdoors just to do a few chores I come back in the house just soaking wet. I still am not feeling up to my usual self so that could be part of it and I couldn't get into my doctor til the end of this month-ugh  
    Oh well it is what it is I always say.

  The two sourdough starters I have set up for my husband needed to be fed. So I fed the regular wheat starter and then I fed the Austrian Rye Starter and baked with it. I made us a corn beef dinner today with baby potatoes and large fresh brussell sprouts (instead of cabbage) and I wanted to make this bread for Hubs. When it was rising and then came out of the oven-oh my the aromas were amazing I was very tempted to take one small bite.  He said it was perfect. He likes his sourdough breads really sour like they used to be made years ago-so when I fed the first proof I did it for 24 hours instead of the 12.



   I love King Arthur-and last year I bought two of these crocks for Hub's two sourdoughs. I like the crocks because I think the sourdough can breath better than in a tight fitted lid on a canning jar.

Ready to go in the oven-it has an egg wash brushed all over the top for pretty browning






     I decided to get my brown rice sourdough starter out too-I fed it while it was sitting out 3 times a day over the weekend. It's so warm here that even with the a/c running the sourdoughs are rising faster than usual, so I am feeding it an extra time mid day.  
   This morning after saving back some starter I mixed it up into bread  I decided to add in almond flour and the brown rice flour, also added a teaspoon of xanthan gum, a teaspoon of psyllium seed powder, and just a tiny bit of salt-it needed a bit last time  These were to replace the rice starch for structure-I am still just experimenting and taking notes.  I did get a bit too much flour mixed in as the loaves were cracking instead of staying smooth when I formed them.

I love her baking technique. you form the loaves and cover with a cotton towel while heating the oven up to 500 degrees f  with dutch ovens and lid are also heating up.

Once heated to the 500 degrees f take the dutch ovens out spread some flour on the bottom-which I found interesting-and place the loaves inside cover.
   Then bake 20 minutes, take out of oven and remove lids, and then brush loaves with baking soda and water to help with browning the brown rice flour bread-this was a new technique for me too from MaryJane's book Wild Bread






This bread just cooled enough for me to slice it and try it out-take a photo. Just a tad doughy-I can't deal with doughy breads-but it was a bit warm still. Tastes wonderful!  Nice sourdough flavor. I toasted a slice and spread with ghee-yumm I think I can finally make edible gluten free bread-happy dancing.



Hubs and friend Mr L went to a birthday party down by the river near us over the weekend. The brownies are always a big hit-so I made a package of gluten free brownies added dried rannier cherries and baked them up in my cast iron square pan.  I wasn't up to going in the heat.
    I asked how the brownies went-"well they were all gone in less than 5 minutes" ha ha









With this high heat and humidity I have been buying fresh fruits for us-watermelons, blueberries, mangos, honeydew melon, pears, pineapple, apricots and grapes-are stocked in the frig.

I also made up a fresh lemon-key lime beverage




I had mentioned that I purchased the book Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer. I have read a couple chapters and I wanted to share I found this to be a very good read.  The author is Native American so there is the history and input about her ancestors and growing up,  her love of plants and earth-and her higher education journey to learn the science of plants. She ended up coming back to her Native American roots to really understand the plants the way she wanted to--her writing style is very beautiful like prose. I have learned allot about the thinking and customs of Native Americans already too-like where the name Indian Giver cam from. I recommend this book

I am anxiously awaiting the rest of my supplies from Grummer paper making so I can make the hemp- cotton rag papers soon.

For my drink share:
   Over the weekend I made us a watermelon-mango margarita-delicious. Finishing up the last glass while I type my post.




At our small Aldi store I found these really nice refreshing drinks. Just sparkling water and real fruit juices no added anything else-very refreshing




and just a note-if you missed my last post-I decided to add back the monitoring of your comments. with the problems of no email notification of comments-it was difficult to find your comments from a few posts back-so I put that back in place.
    I will continue to comment here under your comments since I have no comment to reply back to now-those of you that are set for email communication-which I really like so much better for communicating.

Happy T Day everyone!!

a few wildlife visitors



I just took these next two-this raccoon seems to stop by about this time now



41 comments:

  1. it really sounds like you're running a bake shop with all the wonderful baking and cooking you do! Your drinks sound quite refreshing in such heat and humidity. Love seeing the wildlife! Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Linda, the wildlife just started stopping by again
      Happy T Day kathy

      Delete
  2. I can smell the bread, Kathy!!!!! And your brownies seem delicious!!!!!
    I love the deer photo, my friend. Kisses!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual you amaze me Kathy will all your cooking and baking... even when your not feeling your best.. Me.. i get away with as little as possible.. And i don't use the oven much in all this heat.. I keep hoping for a break in the weather.. We actually caught a pop up storm the other day and had a nice downpour... I hope we see some rain before the 4th of July and fireworks.. Pssst... those brownies look mouthwatering!! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good morning, we woke up to a nice gentle rain this morning-the gardens really needed some rain-but of course that spikes the humidity here more. we were 95 actual degrees yesterday and more on the way plus the heat index-too hot for me lol
      the brownies were really good-hugs

      Delete
  4. It took me awhile to find it, but apparently if you SUBSCRIBE to to the new comments by checking the square (email follow-up comments), once you write your post, immediately leave yourself a comment and check the box and then every comment you get will appear in your inbox! I'll be back later for T. I'm running behind.

    Annie's blog is https://thejourneyisthestarthere.blogspot.com/
    but the info was in comments, not as part of her blog posts. The first comment in every post is hers since late May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks sooooo much Elizabeth I will try that out on my next post

      Delete
  5. Your bread looks wonderful, yummy! You have been busy all the time, it would seem. Thanks for sharing the fantastic photos, too, lovely to see your wild-life! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie, it is nice to see the wildlife stopping by again. we usually don't see many deer in the summer-but now that it is so dry they will be looking for a little corn-and they love melon rinds

      Delete
  6. don´t know what would love to try first, the bread or the brownies... both look delicious. and the drinks sound refreshing - after some thunder and lightning we have a high humidity here, too.
    have a great week, happy t-day! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johanna, we woke up to rain this morning-the gardens really needed some-but also pushes up the humidity more.
      Have an awesome week!

      Delete
  7. Your bread must have smelt delicious as it was baking, it certainly looks tempting and must have tasted super spread with butter. You certainly have the temperatures for getting the dough to rise, here it can take most of the day even if the sun is shining.
    The brownies also looked yummy.
    It was lovely to see your wild life photos as well.
    Happy T day wishes,
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Yvonne, the rye bread smelled delicious especially hot out of the oven. we are seeing more wildlife stopping by now

      Delete
  8. Finally made it back. I'm running behind and am getting very tired so this will probably be my last stop before I hit the hay.

    Your starters are looking good, and that bread looks wonderful. I was impressed that you can buy clarified butter where you shop. I want to get some, too.

    You have a LOT of drinks you shared this week, from your lemon-lime water to your watermelon-mango margaritas to your sparkling water. Thanks for sharing with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything looks delicious Kathy! We gave up flour a few years ago, so I make oat bread now.
    I love the wildlife photos!
    Happy T-Day,
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, I try to use healthier flours for the both of us and everything is homemade-so hopefully healthier than store bought. I love oat flour too for my gluten free baking
      Happy T Day

      Delete
  10. Your baked goods look amazing, and the drinks look so pretty. I enjoyed seeing your wildlife visitors. Hope you get some relief from the heat and feel better. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you-we are in for a hot week it seems-very unusual for this of year-highs 95 and above plus heat indexes-I will be indoors for sure
      Have a great day

      Delete
  11. Our weather has finally cooled down, Kathy. The rainy season has arrived!

    Sorry you're still not feeling well. You have to wait two weeks for a doctor's appointment?! Maybe the weather and pollen count will imrpove before then, you'll feel fine and can cancel ;-)

    Your loaves of bread look so perfect. I'm glad you finally developed a recipe for decent gluten free bread. Do you think of writing a gluten free cookbook? With all the ingredient experimenting and testing you do, many of you recipes are truly original.

    The brownies look nice and gooey. No wonder the guys inhaled them.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised I couldn't get in sooner-it's a 3 week wait-but I did get a blood test for something could be part of the problem and was hoping he would at least see that and call me
      hadn't thought of a writing a cookbook-I revise others recipes allot so not totally mine
      glad you have cooler weather-we are in for very very hot here-ugh
      enjoy your day

      Delete
    2. Do you know how to read your blood test results to determine whether it's serious? As for the cookbook, that's how they're all written: each cook improves on other recipes. Like they say, "there's nothing new under the sun." Hang in there during the heat, Kathy.

      Delete
    3. I have the hoshimoto thyroid disease and I know when things are off-sometimes hard to get the doctor to believe me-they have a site set up so I can send him a message-so I told him everything and to please order me the test--so I wrote back this morning and asked if he had a few minutes to please read the test--he just came back-I was right--I am having different symptoms this time so hoping changing the meds will be an easy fix.
      thanks for the cookbook inspiration

      Delete
    4. Good luck. One of my nieces has Hashimoto ,so I know a bit about it.

      Delete
    5. thank you I have learned on my own over the years-no cafeine-that was a big one for me

      Delete
  12. Your sourdough makes a beautiful loaf, and those brownies! No wonder they went so fast :)

    We've lived in neighborhoods with raccoons, and the people who fed them ended up housing them, too lol Persistent critters! The deer are beautiful to watch. You have a wonderful location for nature-watching :)

    Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The racoons are definately a pest animal here-they usually come in the night and look for cat food I forgot to bring indoors-lol I am thinking this one may have babies near by as she stops by the stump now during early evenings instead of at night.
      I was very happy with my baking results
      Happy T Day

      Delete
  13. OMG you always make me hungry - what fantastic culinary artist you are and I can't believe that your slim body can survive - or do you just bake and cook and eat nothing of it???
    Super healthy food for sure ! Great drinks!!!
    Happy T-Day my friend!
    Hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Susi, I actually always was very thin-that is until these last two years-I think being a senior now has done that to me. I can't eat the breads with gluten-like the rye so I am safe from that ha ha

      Delete
  14. And wonderful nature shots again! You are blessed to live in such an area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we are very blessed here in our woods-that we share with the wildlife

      Delete
  15. I hope you are feeling better soon and that you are bearing up ok in all that heat, wishing you well again! I’m feeling hungry after seeing your delicious bread and oh so yummy looking brownies …lol ;-) . Make mine one of those margaritas please – cheers! I think your visitors really enjoy visiting you with all that lovely watermelon on offer too …lol ;-). Take care and wishing you a Happy T Day! J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo, I think we have our wildlife visitors spoiled for sure lol but we love to see them up close.
      the margaritas are my go to beverage in the summer time
      have a wonderful week

      Delete
  16. oh wow, your breads look stunningly delicious! and a watermelon beverage sounds pretty good too...along with key lime and brownies. Now I'm hungry! ♥ great post...hope things cool off a bit for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved seeing your bread - hubby has been trying to get a good sourdough going but so far his results have not been edible - far too dense- he's not a quitter though so we have high hopes for next time!your drinks all look so good!Great to see the wildlife! Happy T day Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tell your hubby-happy bread making-I have found the flour makes a difference sometimes too-the rye bread was a bit dense this time for me too-I had used bread flour as called for instead of an all purpose flour which would bake up lighter.

      Delete
  18. Wow! You have been a busy baker. Your bread looks delicious. Especially the GF brownies with the cherries. I bet they tasted delicious.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry I am so late for T this week. It is the end of the school year crazies and such nice weather I come home and work outside. I know what you mean about pollen and mold spores though-my allergies are making me feel awful at times too. But if you have to be in, you might as well cook and bake. Visiting your blog always makes me hungry. :) I too love King Arthur and have even taken some baking classes there as it is only a couple of hours from my home. You would enjoy them I am sure-but definitely you'd need some of the upper level courses. :) Hope it was a happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Erika-no one is ever late visiting me-hugs.
      how awesome to have King Arthur right there bot too far away from you-that would be fun to shop there too. I love their pans that they make themselves but they are very pricey-always wondered in they sold seconds in their local store.
      hope your school year finishes up smoothly for you so you can enjoy summer-

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit