Friday, June 22, 2018

Saturday Afternoon at the Movies

  Inspired by CJ to join in and share  Saturday movies

                What movie has really made an impact on you or what films can you watch over and over and never tire of? Post either the movie poster, DVD cover or even a screenshot in a post. No need to explain.

This week I am sharing: 
                 Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.

    I remember when this movie was released;  I had graduated from high school in 1967 and this movie came out in December that year when I was in college.
   It really brought an awareness back then as allot of racial tensions were going on, and sadly the message is still important today as we still have racial tensions.

     I have watched this movie several times and enjoy it every time I see it. I was looking for something to watch on the tv tonight (Friday) and it was just coming on.

   This was my favorite scene on what Sidney Poitier (actor) said back to his father in the movie



More information here and also here I learned more of the history of this movie and it's actors I didn't remember that Spencer Tracey had died 17 days after filming.


7 comments:

  1. I have heard of this movie but i have never watched it... There are several movies that get the 'waterworks' moving... never fails and i know it and i avoid them unless i know i will watch it alone with a big box of tissues...lol I'll just tell you one of them... ' Shall We Dance'... The newer version with Richard Gere... OMG when he rides up the escalator dressed in a tux carrying a single rose... It gets me every time...lol Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Deb, I also have heard of this film, but have never watched it. It is such a shame that we have to STILL be so racially biased. In this day and age, it isn't just blacks who suffer, although they certainly have at the hands of the police in the past few years, other "minorities" have felt our need for superiority, like Muslims, gays, etc. SO glad you pointed that out to us with this film.

    I am considering joining you, CJ, and Erika on Saturdays in the future, but I'm not sure I can even come up with 10 films I've even seen, much less would want to see again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen that movie more than once. I remember the subject was shocking in its time. Another Sidney Poitier classic that will make you think is Raisin In The Sun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a really good film, thank you for reminding me about this movie, the acting was fantastic.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yvonne, I thought the acting was really good too

      Delete
  5. I remember seeing this movie. I think I've seen it 3 times, the last time with my kids at my suggestion. A classic!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit