Thursday, June 7, 2018

Do You Ever Go On a Craft & More Buying Spree??

  I try not to buy too much more in craft supplies cause I just already have so much in my craft room.
   However, this week I have been on a buying spree for sure 
        ha ha fun though. 
   I want to play with making papers for eco printing. The Kitchen Witch either buys or makes cotton rag paper and sometimes combines with hemp.  Her paper feels like cloth so I can see now why it prints so nice.
  So online I went to shop. I ended up finding hemp roving for spinning-will just break that down and cook it down with the soda ash. I also was looking for cotton rag, and there is also cotton linters these are a bit different I think.
     I ended up going back to Grummer's paper making site. I wanted the cotton rag since that is what the artist uses  so will see how it will blend up in my blender-fingers crossed.  
     Grummer also had kona pulp made from the burlap sacks of kona coffee. It was such a pretty brown that I thought it would blend nicely with the grass papers and thinking a coffee aroma too. and I really needed more couch papers-to absorb the water from the papers-I really like theirs so got another package. One could use towels and just change them allot-but sometimes those might imprint texture into the papers-depending on the towels.

Update: My friend Barbara and I have been talking handmade papers and she explained the difference of cotton rag and linters thanks Barbara

"Cotton linters and cotton rag are different things. Cotton linters are a by-product of the cotton harvest. It comes either in a puffy state a bit like cosmetic cotton balls, and also in sheets. I think the sheets need to be soaked before use, so I went with the puffy kind. It can be put into the blender right out of the bag. I think “linters” is a word only used in the harvesting of cotton, so not the same as pulp. 


Cotton rag pulp is from used cotton clothing and rags, so there may be threads in it. I just looked again, and it says “blender friendly for blenders 800 Watts and up”. So I looked at my old blender that I use for crafting, it’s really old and was given to me by someone who didn’t want it, and it’s 825 Watts. You can  look on the bottom of your. If it’s not over 800 Watts, I’d try the cotton rag pulp anyhow and just watch as you start blending to be sure rag threads don’t get caught around the blades. It will probably be OK."



    I also did my year buy for Hubs wheat flour for baking. I found online at Wal Mart they have good prices for King Arthur flours. So I bought a 25 pound bag of unbleached all purpose that I will break down into zip lok bags and also their white whole wheat-which is the whole grain but looks like white flour-a more healthy flour. So I am set for a year now.
   I also found sprouted brown rice which I am going to grind into flour for my bread. There has been allot of reports out for several years now about arsenic levels in rice-there seems to be no clear cut answers and organic also has the arsenic. I have read that the more water used in cooking the rice flushes out allot of the arsenic-so my thought is the sprouting process of the rice uses water-so less arsenic.  It is not a real concern probably as long as you eat rice every day.





  I also ordered a few books and a KC Royals baseball sweatshirt too-so the fun thing now-packages are coming everyday in the mail-I love mail 😊


I cut up another watermelon for us-the wildlife love the rind and eat the whole piece-here is a squirrel getting first serve before the deer find it




      My ceiling flourescent light still won't come on since it's summer-we need to change that so I can work on my journal pages in there-I love working on my big desk. We have the older style I guess-we already changed the one in Hubs office space.

    So tonight I think I will spin some bison roving.

Have an awesome weekend everyone!!

22 comments:

  1. I don't buy anything online, but my friend Scott says if you can't find it on Amazon, it isn't worth getting. He only shops locally for groceries. Everything else, he buys through Amazon. Not me. I won't buy it if I can't hold it, read it, feel it, etc. I'm 20th Century in that respect.

    You found a LOT of things you were wanting and needing for both your art and your baking. I get so much junk mail, and I sort it according to colors, I never consider buying paper pulp. You might let me know if it works. I also want to make some eco-dyed paper again, but even more, I want to make more eco-dyed fabric. Thanks for sharing your buying spree with us today. Happy mail indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kathy! I am your new follower!!!!!! I am so glad that I found your blog.
    Oh I know what you mean, my friend. I always buy A LOT OF craft supplies, even if I need only one!!!!!! My craft room is full of goodies that I love to share! I love that you love baking, too! And the photos of squirrel are soooooooo beautiful!!!!!! Squirrels are rare in Greece! Kisses, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mia, I am so happy to have met you too-hugs. the squirrels are so fun to watch.

      Delete
  3. HI Kathy!!!

    i so enjoyed your buying spree post!! Girlfriend you KNOW what my craftroom looks like and i STILL buy more!!!! It makes me happy! I don't buy online often... Usually only something i need/want and can't find it locally.. then i will go to Amazon. Walmart has restructured the store i usually shop at and alot of the items i usually purchase i can no longer find..grrrr.... they are going to get a piece of my mind before its over.. lol I guess i'm so 20th century like Elizabeth. lol Enjoy your weekend... Theres more grass mowing ahead of me this weekend... Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they totally redid our wal mart too a few years ago-and pretty much took out the fabric dept and allot of the crafts-many complained and they brought back a little-but they don't really have much-and I have no stores really here to buy from-mostly just wal mart, and lowes. be careful in the heat mowing hugs

      Delete
  4. You have been very busy, and I am sure you will have big fun with all your activities and with making new papers. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be something in the air because I've bought a few craft supplies lately, like I need them. My craft space is probably as crowded as yours Kathy. But it is fun. :) I agree. Have fun with all the new paper and your flour supply. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes like Carole says retail therapy for us ha ha enjoy your day

      Delete
  6. Oh, yes, I have added to my cart more than intended most of the time, LOL!! Retail therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've made paper. I bought a kiddie kit many years ago. It makes a 5 x 7 sheet. You were supposed to use recycled paper to make the pulp. I also used scraps of watercolor paper. Was fun to try, but I'll leave paper making to others. I only use King Arthur Flour in baking. It was what my grandmother used. As it is manufactured in Vermont, most grocery stores in New England carry it. There isn't enough room in the dollhouse to store large quantities of everything so I just buy the 5 lb bags as needed. Happy Baking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love King Arthur flour too and that it has been in business since the 1700s
      That is the size paper I make the smaller size easier for me to handle-I have made allot with scrap papers as well-a fun project.

      Delete
  8. I feel partly to blame
    for your craft buying spree. �� lol! Now I also feel enabled to have a spree of my own. Off I go...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your buying spree post!

    Amazing!
    Happy weekend!
    Hugsm Susi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Making paper is on my list!
    Buying, however, is off my list until I use up half plus of my fabric. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, so glad you found me and dropped by. Paper making is fun. I need no more craft supplies for some time now
      Happy Friday

      Delete
  11. You must feel so excited when your goodies arrive. It sound like you have ordered some great items for your paper making.
    I was interested that you purchased flour in bulk as well. That would be a good way to save as the smaller bags bread flours in the UK can be quite pricey.
    They were lovely photos of the squirrel.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yvonne, since we live so rural I to tend to buy some things like this in bulk I have two huge commercial sears chest freezers-one for floura and baking items, rice pasta etc and the other one for meats veggies and fruits-so I have a grocery store in the house lol Yes it is fun getting packages in the mail I got 4 in today Happy weekend hugs Kathy

      Delete
  12. Can you ever have too many craft supplies ...lol 😉. Sounds like you've been busy shopping and stocking up on the essentials. It looks like the watermelon is being appreciated by all your woodland visitors too. Wishing you a very happy weekend! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit