Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Gluten Free Bread Update

  I did get bread-edible bread 😃  this morning

I was determined to try this recipe again. So over a few days I fed the starter I had-threw out half of it-re fed it with brown rice flour and then threw half out again and re fed it another day.
   I tasted it and the bitter quinoa flavor was gone, and what was left was sourdough flavor-achievement 
    I decided to go ahead and bake up the two mini loaves to see what would happen. I kinda rushed the process so didn't have allot of starter to work with plus save back some for later.
   Since there is no gluten I need to add something to help with the structure. In the book for the rice sourdough breads she added rice starch for that. I checked online it's hard to find, MaryJane bought a mill so she is selling it but I think it's too expensive, so I decided to add the xanthan gum first Just guessed at the amount.
   So, anyway it worked out pretty good and I am pleased and will go forward with more experimenting. 
    I added a pinch of rosemary which really added a nice flavor to the sourdough




   Today was our 36th year anniversary.

So after baking my bread this morning I got bbq ribs on the grill, and made us a lemon meringue pie. Hubs favorites

   The ribs were coming off a bit later than our 2 pm now dinner time-so we decided to eat our leftover tacos from yesterday-and we will have our bbq rib meal tomorrow. So I will just need to make up the sides thinking cole slaw, corn on the cob, and asparagus.

   The weather will be heating up after tomorrow again and they are saying hot with no rain rest of this week-so I will need to get out the hose and start watering some things especially the tomato plants that are in big tubs.

Hubs did get to go fishing with a couple friends-the lake is still pretty messed up do to the weather so far-but they brought home two large catfish-saved for fried catfish at our friends-he makes the best catfish.

I decided to reopen my Etsy shop-link in my sidebar. I have some craft items I need to try and de stash. I was also thinking of selling some of my handmade papers again. I had sold some with my recycled papers in the past.
    Any ideas on what to charge for my handmade papers with the dried grass?? I really have no clue on that as there is allot of time involved that you can't really charge for.
   I just bought some hemp roving (for spinning) but will take that apart cook it down for paper and add some cotton rag to it-in hopes to make paper for eco dyeing.  Another new project for me.

   Looks like a very hot summer this year if the temps stay where they have been-so we are hoping to get back into the house projects.

    Have an awesome new day tomorrow everyone.


20 comments:

  1. Glad you got the bread right. Well done on persevering. Happy anniversary! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary, Kathy. I hope it was wonderful.

    Your bread is beautiful and I think yo8u have found a good combination without spending a whole lot of money on new flour.

    As for the paper, I suggest Etsy probably has a search engine, so I would enter handmade fiber paper or handmade grass paper. If that doesn't give results, just put in handmade paper and see what people are charging for more than likely paper pulp paper. Just a suggestion. Again, happy 36th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you-I found allot of paper for sale but none with dried plant materials

      Delete
  3. Great looking bread! You are such a pro!
    Happy anniversary Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should get into sourdough. I've done it couple of times but have never tried using alternative flours. You inspire me to set up another starter. Hope the summer heat isn't too bad. WE are cold and rainy today- we need the rain but it is a little too chilly. :) Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could go for a little cold and rainy right now-lol
      I do love sourdoughs-I have an austria rye and another plain one for Hubs breads

      Delete
  5. The sourdough bread looks good. I've tried in the past, but get overwhelmed with keeping the starter going. Happy Anniversary! Your celebration meal sounds wonderful especially the lemon meringue pie. Send the heat up here. It's been cold and rainy the past couple of days. As to pricing your handmade papers, perhaps you could check out other papermakers like Twinrocker Handmade Papers www.twinrocker.com to see if they have papers that are comparable to what you make. Then you can get a sense and price your papers accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for this link-Barbara has been helping me search on etsy too yes the sourdough feeding can be a hassle-I try to feed it at least one a month but sometimes I forget.
      I wish I could send this hot weather to you-we are in for very hot and dry starting tomorrow

      Delete
  6. The bread looks yummy! I'm glad that you fixed your starter yeast successfully 😁. What a good idea to sell your papers and I think the site CJ recommended looks good for pricing too. Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sourdough is exciting to make, something like having a little pet in the refrigerator just waiting to be fed! Maybe I’ll try it again, but iit’s been years! Yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That meal sounds like a real winner. I know I'd love it :) I'm lovin' this heat; it's the cold weather I don't like.

    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you-I like in the middle the best for temps-70s-80s are perfect for me lol

      Delete
  9. Your bread does look delicious and the idea to add rosemary sounds good, it must have had a wonderful aroma.
    Congratulations to you and your hubby Happy Anniversary.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Yvonne-I was happy this baked up pretty good-today it got pretty hard so I just grilled it with a little olive oil

      Delete
  10. Congratulations, Kathy. The bread looks delicious. In fact all your meals sound scrumptious!

    As for selling your paper, I don't know how large your sheets are, but you'll find some price points here. https://paper-tree.com/products/handmade-paper-grass-flowers

    Don't forget shipping. I tested shipping this paper to TX and shipping adds another $3 to the cost.

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. I forgot to mention I admire your clever substitutions when cooking.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit