Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Surprise Visitor at the Lake House

    We went to the lake house this morning with a friend-who is helping us break up the concrete sidewalk in front of the house-quite a job.  We stopped along the way up to the lake to rent a saw that cuts concrete-new one for me lol

   Next up will be chiseling this concrete out. 
      This is the problem with the water in the basement-no drainage was put in to direct the water away from the house-and this area should be small gravel with paver stones-not concrete-so the water can get directed where it needs to go.

While he was working on that-Hubs and I tore down the other stone corner wall. That one also smelled strongly of kitty urine-so glad that is out of the house now.

First photo we thought we got lucky as this one had wood across a couple inches down-not so-rest was large and small rocks 



Before breaking this out



Of course I totally forgot to take a finish photo-this is all gone now and rocks outdoors

Below is part of the sidewalk that needs to come out-He cut this in several rows so easier to chisel out without hurting that rock wall or house


On the top of those rocked pieces in the house were shells-these are the shells-and cool this second one had three quartz crystals-these can be found in the Ozarks I have found a couple much smaller ones here in our woods 
    I may see if I can learn how to wrap one of these with jewelry wire for a necklace.




    I have a box of my late father's shells that he had picked up in different places-I will add these to it

    And here is the surprise-sitting in a tree across the road where the guys were working: an eagle--I can't tell you how excited I was!!      
    There are allot of eagles that nest here in Missouri along the rivers. Especially seen in the winter months. I had never thought that they would be near the lake too. How fun!!  Our friend told me that he knows there are several nesting eagle pairs in this area.
   

  We also saw 3 Canada geese swimming along the lake's edge-that put a smile on my face too






   I brought several more bags of spinning fibers and a big bag of weaving cones of yarn. I have a few more bags of things to bring next time-and then that's it til I can get some shelving in.  Getting these bags up to the lake house will give me some room to work in my present craft room-as I need to go through things and only keep what I know I will be using. (shhhh don't tell Hubs, but if there is room-it is coming with me smiles)
   I forgot that we need to blow in insulation up in the attic-so since those deep steps are the way into the attic I won't be putting my craft things in that closet just yet. We could not believe it-there is no insulation up there-unbelievable to me.

Anyways just had to show you the eagle for sure-

12 comments:

  1. How cool to see an eagle. We have them around here too but it is always a treat. They are so magnificent. And maybe you'll no only see him more but it's a good omen for the house. Looks like a lot of work though. Hopefully all will go well with the work! hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks much-todays work went well-hope the rest does too-we have a few days with warmer weather too

      Delete
  2. Great shot of the eagle even from a distance. I think that blue sky helped. :) Looks like things are moving right along with the updates. Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool to have eagles as part of the wildlife at your new home! I followed this tutorial on wire wrapping when I wrapped a crystal given to me as a gift. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K50VS8GtZr8

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great to have the eagle so close to the house Kathy!!! We have several nesting pairs here at Beaver Lake and many that migrate. I so would have kept those planters in the house and planted plants in them. lol The are a '70's thing i think and i have always loved the idea... Ofcourse the kitty urine smell would have to go! I know many people don't like them and on home improvement shows they always tear them out but i like them. oh well.. I was surprised to read you got a house that needed so much work. I think you mentioned before that hubby is not able to do that anymore? Wishing you smooth sailing ahead! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a lot of work, but I'm sure you'll be happy once it is all done. Gorgeous eagle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodess, you and your Hubs have been very busy. I bought a saw blade for my skill saw to cut through concrete when I made my basement bath. I actually had to buy a second blade because I had NO idea where the drain was, so cut into more concrete than I would have originally needed to. I hope your basement problems are now solved.

    I have blown insulation in my attic. They did it right before I bought the place. A few years later, it had all settled and was useless. I hope you have better luck. One of these days I'm going to break down and buy the type of insulation you tack between your rafters and joists. The pink stuff.

    How awesome to find a bald eagle near your home. You are going to love it there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are making progress removing the walls and the outside work.
    I loved the photos of the eagle, that must have been amazing to see it close to your new home.
    Yvonne xx.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the last thing you need is water running down a hill to the bottom of your house. Good drainage is so important. Lot of those problems around here and people put in really pretty rock drains through their yards, I even have a berm around my place to keep the heavy rain moving around my place instead of it flooding the yard.
    Those rock things are disgusting except for the crystals. good luck getting the kitty pee pee out.Speaking of kitties i'm sure you will be taking Calico'kitty house with you so she will know where she is. Hard for a kitty to move when they are out door kids. Need familiar smells. Good luck guys. Nice of your friend to help you with all that work

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know you're relieved to know what's causing the dampness and how to deal with it. I'm sure they thought that concrete was just the thing to direct the water, but there ya go. The crystals are gorgeous! Your photo of the eagle is like seeing it in person. How wonderful to know they nest near you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope that all your hard work to remove the concrete and the bricks will soon be done so that you can eagle watch...how exciting!!Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I couldn't begin to understand the drainage problem and solution, but you guys seem to have things well in hand, Kathy.

    The new house seems just magical to me. Such beautiful views - and the birds. I hope you'll share more of those. I've never seen an eagle in the wild - how exciting!

    I've done wire-wrapped jewelry. It's not difficult if you have a soft enough gauge wire. Then just let the wire take you where it wants to go. The stones are lovely.

    Eileen xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit