Monday, August 6, 2018

T Stands for Tuesday & My First Attempt: Dyeing with Fresh Grown Indigo

       T Stands for Tuesday, is where we gather together with a drink related post. You are most welcome to join us, just include a photo of your beverage in your blog post, link up and visit everyone.  
    Our hostess is Bleubeard and Elizabeth-click on the link in my right hand column.

  I decided over the weekend that Monday was going to be my indigo dye day. I reread the instructions-link in my previous post and below- and washed the silk, and wool with special soap for this step, then the next step is to mordant. I did the silk and wool seperately. So that was all ready to go. I also gathered everything I needed for dye day.

  I have not been to the resale shops in sometime now to search out silk clothing to dye. In my stash though I found a sleeveless silk blouse, a crepe silk scarf blank I bought from Dharma Trading (they carry many many clothing blanks for dye projects), and a silk scarf that a friend had given to me as she heard I was eco dyeing etc. This last scarf was stained, but had a woven print, fringe, double thickness and was marked 100% silk. However, after dyeing the fringe was not silk as it did not take the dye but dyed over all of the stains. 

  This ended up being probably a 9 hour day from start to finish. Happy with the silk-especially one piece, but when I got to the second step for the wool-a total let down. I will get to that in a bit, but I don't remember ever being so upset with myself for not understanding chemistry so did not know what to do. I almost wrote our CJ to ask Mr CJ the chemist as what to do but decided they were probably both at work-and this was a time issue as well to solve this problem so the dye bath would still be good.


I took photos of my dye day-click to enlarge full size for better viewing


I had two nice large Japanese Indigo plants that I grew from seed. I later learned one must Not fertilize these plants-I think that is what killed all of my other plants as I had around a dozen. 




After cutting them down to the base-one must pick all the leaves off as the stems have no dye in them Depending on the weather they should grow enough leaves for another dye batch.



I ended up with a canning kettle full of leaves



After picking the leaves one must dye immediately-I thought this was a nifty technique that was simple-whirl up in blender with very cold water and ice-I added lots of crushed ice






After this is completed-set up a strainer with cheesecloth and strain out the indigo leaf bits-this was time consuming




Having experience with natural dyeing-I have learned there is only so much of the prettiest dye available so I have learned to add my favorite piece in first-and then the rest. So I chose the crepe silk scarf to add first, then the blouse, and then the other scarf

  I followed the recipe-instructions from this post 




I am someone that does Not like to wear gloves-I only wear them if I just really need to. I did dig out a pair to be ready to wear when I  put the silk into the dye pot-but when I was just adding leaves to the ice water in the blender my hands turned blue ha ha  At this point I was confident I would get colors 

    It pretty much all scrubbed off now except for my nails.



This was my Wow and double Wow moment for the day. Beautiful colors  These are wet after being rinsed, dipped again, and rinsed-hung to dry so will change when dry





This is the crepe silk scarf from Dharma Trading-and is the only piece that pretty much remained this color when dry



This piece is the other scarf-It dyed over all of the stains, but like I said the fringe must have been an added synthetic which did not dye Both of these scarves were nice and long.



The sleeveless blouse-and looking at the photo below, you can see the stitching must have been a synthetic so did not dye. 
     Now I understand why on Dharma's site it says which clothing pieces have threads that will dye Never thought it would be that noticeable but it is.



close up of the silk blouse wet




I just now took a photo of these pieces mostly dry-and it is amazing how much color difference in the two pieces I added after the first scarf. They dried to a pretty slate grey-blue I guess I would call the color now


The scarf to the left kept the pretty color-the crepe silk scarf-and next to it is the blouse on the right




This is the scarf that had the stains-actually turned out pretty




Ok now to the very very disappointing second step.




   According to the instructions-link above-I added the pulp back into the dye pot-brought it to the correct temperature and held for 2 hours.  Next step was to add bicarbonate of soda one tablespoon at a time til I reached the ph of 9. I started at ph 7  well teaspoon after teaspoon-stirring after each addition and then checking the ph each time the ph started going backwards to ph 6 ugh now what to do??-if I was someone who gets panic attacks I would have gone into one at this point.

   So I thought bicarbonate of soda was the same thing as baking soda?? googling it not sure now if it is the same or not--at least if it  is the same thing, for some reason didn't work for this dye bath  
     So at this point I was at a loss Did not know what to do to get my ph 9

   I added a little vinegar which didn't help-first time dyeing I felt totally incompetent.  

    I was already losing the color in the dye pot and losing the temperature as well-so I just added the next chemical and added just one of my handspun wool skeins-figured if nothing else I might get a green shade.
    Took this photo after about 30 minutes-I am just going to let it soak awhile and then rinse.




   I just looked at it again, and this skein is getting a darker green-will see what happens after the rinses. and a bit of an update after a couple hours it is actually a pretty soft green so I decided to just add the second skein of wool to the pot. Going to let sit overnight

    


Sooooo needless to say I am happy but frustrated at the same time with my dye day-I know there is so much to learn about indigo-but for an easy dye method and not needing to make up a fermented vat-I think dyeing on the silk was pretty neat-blended fresh leaves with ice and water no heat involved. 

     Elizabeth and Barbara I think you would enjoy this first part of the process.
     I am wondering now if one could use wool in the first step instead of silk-may need to try that.
   I did try to write a comment on the link with the instructions to the author-but said was not accepting comments.

So if anyone knows what I can use to bring up the ph in an indigo dye pot-I would love to know thanks


   I received two beautiful atc's this past week from our T Party-thanks so much again

   I will write a seperate post to share my gifted atc's.
    I really appreciate your thoughtfulness-I had fun making the atc's-so hope to make a couple more in the coming weeks to share. I have been saving my tea bags-those were fun to work with and stamp on to. 
   Those of you that make art with the tea bags-how do you cut them open to get the loose tea out? I have tried a small slit or cut the bottom off-how do you do it? thanks

   For my drink share-I hadn't made myself a mixed drink for awhile so decided to make me a huckleberry margarita over the weekend. I used the huckleberry syrup (has little bits of the berries in it too) I bought in Yellowstone last year, and added Patron tequila and orange liqueur over ice and water





For cuteness:







Happy T Day everyone!! So glad you dropped by

29 comments:

  1. What an interesting post, Kathy. I really enjoyed reading about the silk dyeing process. I wish I had some silk, but I was going to buy a piece of silk recently, and even 40% off, it was going to cost me over $25.00 (USD) for a yard of silk. there is NO way I can afford that and my resale shop doesn't ever have silk or pure (100%) wool. You got fantastic results, even with the synthetic thread.

    I hope CJ's husband can help you with your PH problem. The only thing I know is, if you want to raise the PH, you have to add something alkaline. I've added baking soda to water that I wanted to raise the PH level for some plants (like hydrangeas). That's the extent of my knowledge.

    Sorry your second experiment went aerie, but at least you learned during the process. And a good stiff drink probably helped, too (grin).

    Thanks for sharing your dyeing effects and your huckleberry tequila and orange liquor with us for T this week, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There’s just too much cuteness in those deer photos, and I love that your special T drinks most often have a kick to them. :) Now, seriously, am I the Barbara you were addressing, me with my ineptness with chemistry? I may have enjoyed it, but would not know what I was doing! Then add that pH is important along the way! Only time I’ve paid much attention to that was when I took care of my kids’ above-ground pool water. Also, I was impressed you know about not using the stems. Kathy, you are very smart about all of this! I get a hurty head just trying to process it all. Now, what I do enjoy is color, and yours is stunning! Even the non-silk thread provided an interesting contrast. Soldier on, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you had some great success with the indigo. And, to think it is from a plant in your very own garden! I am learning much from you! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you much-I am pleased with the pretty silk colors-and is amazing obtained from leaves and ice water so I will feel better about it all tomorrow I think thank you

      Delete
  4. Your indigo dyed silk is gorgeous! I am sure that must have taken a whole lot of work to get that far in the process and then not be able to get your PH where it needs to be. I hope you are able to find a solution before your next dye day. I wish I could help but it has been a few years since my college chemistry class.
    Looking forward to seeing more of your successful dye-day pictures.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. The indigo dyed colours are beautiful, and the green skein looks great, too. Sounds like a lot of hard work! Wonderful photos of the deer, thanks for sharing. Your drink looks very refreshing and delicious. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. not sure if i had the patience to work 9 hours on this... i wonder how to dye fabrics like cotton or linen (non-animal stuff), if there is mordant necessary or not. well, i have no clue about all the details, and i do not have the chance to grow my own indigo here. but your post sounds interesting and i really like the results! i´m sure you will go on experimenting!
    happy t-day:))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m with Johanna, but it’s not patience I would lack. It’s simple energy, I would never last that long!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your silk came out gorgeous. I wonder if your wool has some lanolin in it as that is the natural waterproofing on the sheep. I know often yarn has to be cleaned of that before it is processed-but I do not know how they do it or if that is true for all yarn because I would guess different wool has different amounts. To change pH, adding vinegar would only make it more acidic. I also thought that bicarbonate was baking soda, but if baking soda is old maybe it doesn't work as well? Not sure if yours was old or not...hmmm. Anyhow, so cute about the deer at your window and the huckleberry syrup in a drink sounds very good. I wish we had some of these berries growing around here. Happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erika, yes there is a special soap to "scour" the fibers with first rinse well and then mordant and then dye I use synthrapol from Dharma
      I did add a bit of vinegar to the pot, baking soda being old-that is a good point too thanks
      I did end up with two lovely skeins of soft green wool this morning so am pleased will share photos once they are dry
      I wish the huckleberries grew here too

      Delete
  9. Wow, this is a marvelous post to read. Wow to the results of the silk dying. The colour is gorgeous and how rewarded you must have felt at the end of your long day getting results like that from your own hard work. Yes i know I read that you weren't happy with the wool results, but it does look a pretty colour to me.
    I think you would need a few refreshing drinks like the one you showed us during your busy day.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Yvonne, I do feel better about my dye day this morning and the wool took on a pretty soft green so am pleased with that

      Delete
  10. Wow, all your hard work paid off, what an amazing shade of blue! I love your indigo dyed fabric, they look wonderful and I would wear the blouse as the contrast between the thread and fabric looks like a design feature to me 😁. Talking of blue hands I have two blue fingertips from the art journal page I was creating yesterday, it just won't come off ...lol 😉. I don't have a clue when it come to dying fabrics or wool so can't help with pH levels either, maybe the lady you took the class with may have some tips. Your margarita looks so yummy - cheers and Happy T Day! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so we are a matching pair with blue hands ha ha luckily most of my scrubbed off except for my fingernails.
      I am more pleased with my results this morning-I plan to wear that silk blouse too with the scarf-thanks and I had thought of emailing my dye teacher-thank you
      hugs

      Delete
    2. should read I had not thought of emailing my teacher

      Delete
  11. Enjoyed reading about your dyeing adventure Kathy.. That sure is a pretty blue.. even after they dried.

    We've had to stop feeding our deer here.. So i see alot less.. Feeding is banned because of CWD in our county... Makes me sad not to put something out for them when they come to the yard.. :( But i'm sure we could not afford the fine if we were caught.. soo... I will miss them.... Happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's CWD, Deb? I know how much you love having them around. And I love the photos you share with us. My condolences.

      Is the ban permanent or seasonal?

      Hugs, Eileen

      Delete
    2. Hi Eileen,

      Chronic Wasting Disease.... I have yet to see any deer that i thought might have it.. But apparently its more and more wide spread than they thought.. Personally i think it came about through people trying to farm the deer...i think thats where it started and perhaps it got out into the wild population.. Just my theory on that.. To me they were not meant to be farmed but a wild animal.. Anyway... As far as i know its permanent.. they don't even know if the ban on feeding will help but at this point they are trying anything and everything.. With the extraordinary amount of ticks we have anymore i can't help but wonder if its related... Hugs! deb

      Delete
    3. How sad, though I don't understand how NOT feeding them will make them healthier. E

      Delete
  12. Ask away. Himself is now retired, and I work from home and monitor email (helps with procrastination =^,.^=) Himself gave me an explanation which I will send via email as it's long and I'll end up blogging on your blog.

    The scarves are gorgeous.And I never would have though a thread wouldn't be able to take dye. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you are so brave to try the eco-dying. The indigo plant looks so unassuming, and the blended leaves look so green...one would never expect that gorgeous blue color to come out of it! So sorry for your frustrations, but I am sure you will get it figured out with more experimentation. Loved all of your dyed pieces...even the yarn! thanks for sharing your adventures with us, and happy T/cocktail day! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Crumbs, what a palaver. Well done you for getting any results at all. I think the colour is quite pretty. A sort of teal.
    Bicarbonate soda is definitely the same as american baking soda, as I bake cakes from american recipes, so I know. But it's not the same as baking powder, which is a different thing.
    Lovely photos of your (4 footed) visitors.
    Your drink sounds very exotic (to me) I have never drunk tequila and I have no idea what huckleberries would taste like. This is the thing I like about travel: tasting all these unknown things.
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisca, any natural dye project is always an adventure-so today I am more pleased especially with the wool yarn
      huckleberries are really different in flavor than most berries and they are very smile. they seem to grow wild out west and a couple companies pick them and make jams etc with them seem to grow in higher elevations too

      Delete
  15. The silk is such a gorgeous color! Who'd have thought that greenish goo would make such a lovely color. Hope the yarn turns out somewhat how you'd like. Otherwise I suppose you could dye it again???
    Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow and Double Wow is right. The color you got is gorgeous. Not what I expected, really -I guess I thought it'd be darker- but I love the color. And that scarf!

    I've never heard of huckleberry syrup. Mixed drinks are fun to make, but I never have the ingredients recipes call for and I'm the only one here who drinks lol I'll enjoy yours in spirit :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, who knew you could grow indigo. I never really thought of it as being a plant for some reason. :/ But wow! The blue color you wound up with is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The silk is gorgeous, Kathy. I love all the shades you got. Just gorgeous. You're so brave to try all this back-to-basics stuff.

    I'm glad you like the wool color - now that it's dry. I do too - a nice soft sage. Maybe you'll get another batch of indigo this year and can try again ... if you're up for another 9 hour session - phew!

    I'm not a chemist but my first thought was that baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) only has a pH of 8 - 9, so it would take a bucket-full (I'm exaggerating) to bring a big vat of pH 7 solution to 9. I asked Professor Google and he sent me to this page: http://www.wearingwoad.com/creating-a-natural-indigo-dye-reduction-vat/

    The author has been indigo-dying for more than nine years. I didn't understand it all, but she uses washing soda (also known as sodium carbonate, sal soda, or soda ash). It's more alkaline than baking soda, but not as alkaline as lye.

    You deserved that yummy sounding margarita after such a frustrating day ;-)

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh My!! What a gorgeous colour! I love reading how you do your dyeing! Your drink sounds delicious! The cuteness is wonderful! Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit