Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Eucalyptus Eco Printing

Good morning,
   Yesterday morning I set up to eco print the eucalyptus leaves I had soaking overnight in water.
   These were dried that I purchased online a couple years ago-I also found a bag of crushed eucalyptus leaves I forgot I had.
   Reading mostly India Flint, I was hoping for reds but really did not know what to expect. There are so many different species too-some no dye, some need fresh not dried etc, many needs the right season to harvest etc-so I did not know what to expect really.
   I used my alum acetate to mordant the papers-same watercolor papers used in last two posts. I did not want to soak the leaves in rusty water as I wanted to see how they would dye-print on their own.
   Since I had the crushed also,  I added a couple big hand fulls to the water-just to see if that would add any color-it did not.
  Since my water did not turn red I was prepared for no color or no prints






  I did get these pretty yellows and if you click and enlarge the photos you can also see the veining of the leaves-so I am pleased.
   Theses leaves were actually difficult to tell which was the back side.  These might be fun to try now with different mordants-silks wrapped around copper pipe, or rusty water. I need to do more reading on eucalyptus-I had read that some here in the States buy fresh from the florist in hopes of reds.

On another note: we did visit the piece of property we really liked that we saw online near Ha Ha Tonka state park and on the lake. We did drive by before a couple days earlier before our appointment just to see where it was etc. We visited with a neighbor that made us feel like home.  This would be a huge change-the rooms are small but the outdoor space is amazing-a large deck that is attached to a screened in deck area over looking the lake. The master bedroom is the largest room-I may need to take that over for my crafts. ha ha Lots of decisions and more information needed. Lots of work too-I haven't slept well just thinking of the magnitude of this project. No decisions made-but also I think we are both ready for this. 
  If it is meant to be it will happen smoothly.

   I am off to paint the hallway today or at least this week for sure-I may visit a friend today. Decided to make us bbq ribs on the grill today-just because 

  Happy Wednesday

13 comments:

  1. Kathy, please post if you learn anything about what eucalyptus gives eco dyed red color. You DID get some excellent yellows, so not a loss at all! Perhaps yours were too old? Don’t know if that matters. Best of luck with the house hunting! Hope you find the place that has what you need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work. Have fun painting. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yellow leaves look really pretty Kathy its another set of beautiful papers.
    Good luck with the house hunting. I'm sure you will find the right new home, its out there waiting to be found.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really pretty yellows and I love the veining. Nice for finding these eucalyptus chips and not being sure what your results would be. Hope it's been a good day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. These came out great, Kathy. One question. Since these were purchased online, were they preserved with glycerin? BTW, these don't look anything like my eucalyptus, but they are lovely, regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty leaves, Kathy. I am sure you will enjoy your painting. Kisses, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your papers look very exotic with the yellow colouring and the veining - beautiful 😁. Glad the house hunting is going well, it sounds wonderful and I'm sure everything will work out wonderfully in this new chapter of your life. I hope the painting went well and wishing you a lovely day! Take care, J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit