Sunday, August 5, 2018

Getting Set Up with Indigo Dyeing Today

Happy Sunday,

    I have two Japanese indigo plants that are big and full of leaves. So I have two silk scarves and one silk sleeveless blouse sitting in the prewash right now-will rinse well and then mordant with alum sulphate and cream of tartar-then rinse and soak in water til ready to dye. These weight 4 and half ounces-so will need to adjust what I can dye depending on the weight of the leaves I collect.

   My first attempt will be with the easiest method that I had discovered with fresh leaves-whirling them up in ice water in the blender-strain-dye.  One needs to be organized-cloth ready, cut off stems-take off the leaves and process right then into dye.

  Here is the recipe I will follow

and this is the color I Hope to achieve with this easy method 
        Photo copied from above site so this is NOT my photo results-several in comments thought this was me-and no it is not





I will share the results at the T Party-wish me a successful dye day-After re reading all the instructions I will just mordant fiber today and hopefully dye on Monday

9 comments:

  1. Pretty color! Looking forward to seeing the result

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a beautiful colour and I enjoyed seeing how you dyed the fabric too 😁. Happy Sunday! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo-this is a lovely color-but not mine-hugs This one came from the instruction link Hopefully I will get this color-stay tuned

      Delete
  3. Lots of luck Kathy. The colour looks lovely. I look forward to seeing how it worked for you
    .Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be a wonderful challenge and a great result, regardless how it turns out. I know I will learn something because I am always impressed that you us the "right" stuff and don't cut corners like I tend to. Fingers crossed this works, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful color! I love it. Also love your photo skill that put the flowers in the frame. You are an “artiste”!
    OK, so now I know I can post a comment on others’ blogs, but can’t even put a test comment on my own. Sleeping on it didn’t help!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've done indigo dyeing in the past-but not from my own plants. I hope you get that color. It is really pretty. I am soaking some cloth today in soda ash-then I will dry it and try some chemical dyeing. It's such a fun thing to do in the summer so toy have the cloth for later. Good luck! hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Erika, I hope you do a blog about your dyeing. I have done quite a bit with Dharmas procion dyes on cotton-they have some beautiful colors to choose from-did allot of fabric for quilt projects in the past-this is allot of fun-one of my favorite crafts

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit