Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Sharing ATC's Found in my Mailbox & Update on Wool Yarn

This past week I received a couple lovely atc's from two of my T Party friends.
   This was fun Elizabeth, I would love it if you could host another atc swap-got my creativity going. 
    When things slow down a bit here I will be making a few more.

From Deb, I received the most lovely card ever-thank you so much, and now because of many of you I am looking at postal stamps again-I will keep this pretty stamp.



I love this cat Deb



and from Eileen, I received one of her pretty atc's, a tea cup stencil-under the wasabi tape, and little chili confetti pieces-very fun Thank you Eileen



Wool dye update:

  After an hour or so, I noticed the green dye on one of my wool skeins was getting a deeper green. so I decided well what the hay ha ha I put the second skein in.  This is some of my very beginner spinning yarn that I spun on my Ashford spinning wheel-vintage as me lol.  Looking at this I can see I am for sure improving with my spinning.
   I do have a saori style weaving project in mind-anything goes type of weaving creativity-to use many of my dyed hand spuns and also other yarns I have dyed from nature. All of course soft earthy tones.

These are photos taken wet after rinsing this morning:



These went in the dye pot a couple hours apart so a subtle shade difference. I really like this-a hint of blue in a couple spots as well

and just now taken photos-slightly damp:

    Looks to me like the yarn lost the bluish tone and now is more green-in person this is a pretty soft green.





So at the end of the day I am pleased-and ready to try indigo again. and getting a green is actually a nice surprise for my failed attempt at another blue dye-from the same dye pot.  Usually to get green one must dye the yarn a good yellow first and then dip into indigo dye pot to get the green.
   I won't be able to duplicate this-as once I knew I had lost the blue I added a little of this and a little of that into the pot ha ha

  I want to thank those of you for your comments to my ph failure. and also thanks to CJ's Himself I realized where I had gone wrong and made mistakes and thanks to Eileen for the link to an indigo dye blog post that addressed this as well. Using soda ash instead of the baking soda. So I am armed with more information now 
    Thanks to you all. 😊

16 comments:

  1. I love that pretty green. But I will admit I am fond of green. And you got some great mail too! How exciting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, you have beautiful greens that will go well in your planned project. Hard to believe you now have MORE information, it seems you already knew so much about dyeing! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used soda ash when I made my day lily leaf paper. I never even thought of it as being a better way to raise the PH. I'm so glad Mr. CJ was helpful. And I learned something, too. It's a great lesson and a wonderful post.

    I see you also got to pick up a bunch of those chili peppers when they fell out of your envelope. I may have an ATC swap around Christmas or even Halloween if everyone is up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can buy soda ash, also called washing soda in the laundry aisle of grocery stores, although I've never seen it at Aldi. BTW, it is made by Arm and Hammer, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your green results look lovely. Glad the info from Himself was helpful

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got some lovely ATCs and cards, enjoy! Your green yarn looks wonderful! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lovet the green yarn and the wonderfulart you got from the T-Gang Ladies! WOW!
    Hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the variety I see in the ATCs. Each person has an individual style, and that in itself is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The green is very pretty, Kathy. I'm glad you liked my ATC package and that the info I sent on pH and indigo dying was helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was never thought about soda ash but then I was following her instructions-I will know next time-love your atc package-hugs

      Delete
  10. Beautiful happy mail, the card and ATCs are fabulous! I can see why you are pleased with the results, that's such a pretty shade of green 😁. Happy Wednesday! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Jo, yes I am quite pleased with this pretty green shade-a good mistake ha ha

      Delete
  11. Your wool is a beautiful colour, I have to say I love green.
    Super ATC's its good to get Happy Mail.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank yo Yvonne,yes Happy Mail is fun give us a lift
      I am loving this green too
      Happy Wednesday

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit