Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Good Morning We Have Salsa & a Winner

Good Morning Everyone,
   
    I worked most of the day yesterday with a couple interruptions, hand de seeding and chopping up tomatoes (4 quarts chopped) and sweet peppers, then in my "vintage" Cuisinart-yep still works after 40 years-went the onions, garlic, jalapenos, and poblano peppers (combined peppers 3/4 pound and 4 medium to large onions and one garlic head). Then in went the 1 1/4 cups of chopped fresh cilantro, and 1/2 of one of those small cans of tomato paste, and 1/8 cup of cumin This year I canned up mostly 1/2 pint jars because sometimes a whole pint has been too much and I have a few jars left over from last year.
   I still have tomatoes and peppers left so I am going to cut these up in a bit larger pieces and can it up to add and serve to refried beans 










Several years ago I had found a recipe that I love, mostly because I had never thought to use lime juice as the acid instead of vinegar-(in canned items like this where you want to use the water bath method instead of the pressure canner one has to add an acid to the mix-this uses 3 tablespooons lime juice per pint jar and canned 20 minutes)  what a difference that makes to the flavor of the canned salsa.


  Last Night I wrote the names Barbara and Kate on slips of paper, folded them and tossed them around. This morning, I tossed them around some more and then picked one---Congratulations Barbara!! You have won my Scandinavian Backstrap Loom kit-Please contact me with your snail mail address and I will get this out to you-Enjoy!!


19 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I’m grateful and hope I can master this! Wish me luck!
    Your salsa looks amazing! I love salsa, and I’m sure yours is miles ahead of what I can buy in every way. With bread and beans, it’s a meal for me. My husband would ask “where’s the beef?”, but not me. Oh, I also like a wedge of lime in beer! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats Barbara lime in beer sounds nice-hugs

      Delete
    2. Congratulations to the winner! It looks like a fun project to me, and I'm art-challenged ;)

      Delete
    3. In case you read this, Barbara, I can't get your blog comments or anything on your blog to work today. I wanted to congratulate you on your win and tell you how much I really LOVE your new handmade paper (hmp).

      Delete
  2. It is fun to do some canning. I made pickles the other day. My husband likes the freezer variety. Saves me some work. :) You salsa looks so yummy. I think my cuisinart is close to 30 years old but they keep on chugging. I used to to shred some zucchini for bread yesterday. It's a great tool, isn't it? hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my younger days I used to put up 500 to 750 canning jars while working full time and dried food and frozen food too-now how did I have all that energy ha ha
      yes I love my little cuisinart very much-the plastic container is starting to break apart now I may need to check ebay and look for a replacement hugs

      Delete
  3. I can imagine the salsa tastes so much better with the lime juice and you have so many jars to enjoy too - delicious 😁. Have a wonderful week! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made my own salsa, but yours looks delicious! I've never canned anything, but I do freeze veggies for use with different beans. My weekly grocery trips have spoiled me by giving me ready access to produce both in and out of season, but I admire people who do canning. It brings back fond memories of Mother's kitchen when I was growing up :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to Barbara. I'm sure she will enjoy the win.

    Your salsa looks wonderful and I love that you used lime juice. A pleasant surprise, I'm sure. I have some Real Lemon, but have never seen the Real Lime. You ROCK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to Barbara's blog to leave her a comment, and I can't get anything to work there. Would you please let her know I'm trying to contact her, and please see if YOU can get her blog to work. I can't get the specific post to show up and I can't get comments to work at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Salsa looks amazing! I love all the bright colors of the fresh veggies. Enjoy it!
    Thanks for putting my in the draw, Kathy. I am sure Barbara will have tons of fun playing with the weave kit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you this is really a wonderful canning recipe for salsa-tastes so fresh and delicious.
      you are most welcome-hugs

      Delete
  8. Your salsa looks delicious and I love lime, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your salsa looks delicious and I liked the idea of using lime juice instead of vinegar. Everything is so readily available here, I've never tried canning, but my freezer is always full to the brim with vegetables for the winter months.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thats so nice to have fresh available-we don't have fresh markets close by me

      Delete
  10. Your salsa looks and sounds delicious, Kathy. I love lime or lemon juice to add flavor to just about anything. When I try to remove the seeds from a tomato, there's nothing left - lol. You're amazing!

    Congrats to Barbara!

    Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks-yes I should have mentioned one needs to use a canning tomato-which is very meaty-still allot of waste taking out the seeds but I don't like all those seeds in there-a slicing tomato-you are right not much left at all lol

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit