Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Watercolor Inks Practice Piece-Updated & Rain's Art Date

   Happy Midweek Friends,

     Of course it is still very hot and humid here, which keeps us indoors most of the day.

     Along with a little house work decided to try painting another mountain scene mostly with inks.  I am really liking the black walnut ink I made to also use for painting now, also grabbed a few of the watercolor inks, and a little watercolor paints

    This time I did the sky area last instead of first, I am not real pleased with it so far-once dry will work on lightening it more. I used the blue watercolor ink and even watered down was pretty dark.

    I started with the mountains and then really watered down the black walnut ink to cover the bottom of the page. Used inks for the grasses and little dots of flowers, also the tree is watercolor inks and black walnut. I did mix a little watercolor paint into the black walnut  ink to color the tree trunk. I also used watercolor green for the leaves

   I don't think it's finished but this time will let it sit a bit instead of jumping right in like I usually do haha Not sure what it needs yet perhaps more trees?

  Honest opinions and painting advice always welcome for this very newbie "painter"



I am using watercolor papers torn from a spiral. I was using painters tape to tape down my piece but it tore the paper so that did not work out. Now I just use a large clip on one end. When finished will weight it down.
   I really do not like this dark blue sky at all and looking at these photos, for some reason the grasses look lighter in the middle, perhaps the camera did that



Ok I am finished now, friend Barbara suggests less is more in the back of my mind-smiles.

    I added a little melting snow-or mist to the mountains, added in a few more grasses-in person the middle green is the same shade as the others



Updated:  I have been working on this watercolor practice-learning piece off and on most of the day today. One suggestion for improving the composition was to add something to the left side.  So a few hours later I messed around and added another tree-however I didn't have anymore of the same watercolor inks mixed up and ooops the tree turned out way too dark, and I didn't get a nice shaped tree for this one either--but I decided to go ahead and share for Rain's Art Day   I also worked on lightening up the sky a bit too.

    I am a work in progress with painting, so I am putting this piece out there any suggestions always welcome for improvement  I will say I really enjoyed working with the my handmade black walnut ink and winsor newton's watercolor inks for this piece.



40 comments:

  1. Kathy you are really coming along! I can tell you've been practicing and really thinking about it.. I love the tree and the mountains came out really good.. Do you want any thoughts on composition? I try to think about that alot when i'm composing a picture.. I have learned a few things.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like the effect you added to the mountains. Whether it looks like melting snow or mist doesn’t matter, you made things look very realistic there.. The thing that’s a mystery is why the grass in the middle is looking lighter to you. I kind of like that though, I think it adds interest.

      Delete
    2. I couldn't find your comment but here it is--thank you Barbara that is a mystery about the grass lol

      Delete
  2. Nice painting Kathy. I'm no painting expert at all, but maybe a stripe or two of darker ink to give it some depth. I love the flowers and the mountains. And especially the tree. Stay cool. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Erika, I worked on this painting more after this post-will make another post for Rains art date

      Delete
    2. Got to thinking about your suggestion-this could use another dark tree trunk on the other side-that would fill the space too-so I may go back and do that thanks

      Delete
  3. I love the snow or fog you added to the mountain tops. What a fun piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to identify myself. Hilltop post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trees and mountain look wonderful under a blue sky..nice work, Kathy. Today is going to be HOT over here too. Thank GOD, it's not humid. Stay healthy and hydrated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it´s really good!
    I was thinking of trying watercolors for my mermaid.
    But I don´t dare to, LOL. Well, actually not even funny.
    Yesterday was hot here, too, btw, yipeee! Hugs to the lake and you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ahead and give it a go-mine still look like child painted them haha but it is fun to try. wow summer finally arrived there-enjoy hugs

      Delete
  7. I just looked in your sidebar. I see what you mean about having to stay indoors. That very rarely happens here in Lancashire, UK. More likely we stay indoors because it rains so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this has been a very hot and humid week so far-it continues into all of next week indoor projects for sure

      Delete
  8. Since I know nothing about painting in general it looks good to me.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either lol the goal is to paint one of your sunrises over the lake

      Delete
  9. Trees are all different colors in life so this is OK. Water color is a very difficult medium and learning how to apply the color is a trick. Start out light and work in more if needed. Either way I like it. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoying your watercolour master piece...coming along nicely.
    Happy youd dropped by my blog today Kathy

    Much❤love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to "meet" you not quite a master piece haha but I did have fun with it

      Delete
  11. I tend to just paint angels with watercolor now ~ did landscapes historically but am a 'work in progress' myself ~ I think you are doing well for a beginner ~ keep on painting and I found I got lost in the details and needed to let go and plot out the composition for first ~ then paint ~ just an idea ~ Xo


    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, thank you for visiting, This is good advice and I thought of that when I was painting-I am mostly a fiber artist, and I just do what ever haha I rarely plan unless I am making a quilt. I started playing with mixed media journal pages for fun and something new-there I do the same no planning just a creative moment--but I can see with painting I need to plan out piece first

      Delete
  12. I love your dark mountains, it adds a lot to the piece I think.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never been that good at painting or drawing but I know what I like and I'm liking your watercolour.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh thank you Jan this is compliment and I'll take it-hugs I am brand new to painting so still trying

      Delete
  14. Good progress!?
    Painting gradations and color mixes on scrap paper to use for reference helps when choosing hues. Also, pencil sketch main composition. Color perspective is lighter in the distance, darker close up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you sooo much I was thinking distance needed to be darker-so I will fix that next time. and yes I need to sketch first

      Delete
  15. Way to go, Kathy! I'm not a painter (yet). I think it's great that you are experimenting with art and sharing it. I'm a big believer in learning by doing. My father painted with oils and my mother with watercolors. I think the additional tree helps balance the composition, because it was top heavy at first. Perhaps you could add a few flowers or a few small rocks to the lower right to balance it a little more. Happy creating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good morning, thank you for visiting and for your helpful feedback, I appreciate it

      Delete
  16. Hi Kathy! I really like the addition of the second tree and the clouds! When I started with watercolors, I never sketched and I wasn't always happy with the results. I try to sketch more often than not now. I have watercolor pencils I use for that purpose, though you don't really need them. Nicole is right, watercolor is a difficult medium. It looks so easy, but it took me years to figure out some techniques...I'm still learning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rain, I appreciate the encouragement your friends on your Rain Date have been very friendly and helpful for my watercolors-

      Delete
  17. You're doing good Kathy. It's good to really look at it and set it aside, then look at it again when painting each step just to get a better perspective on what might be needed. I love the gradual additions you made along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Linda, I think I just want to get a painting finished in a days time-but I can see now that is not a good way to approach it-everyone has been so helpful here in comments-
      happy weekend the lake is crazy busy today with the speedboats

      Delete
  18. Hello,
    I think you are doing great. I love landscapes with mountains and flowers.
    I am not creative or artsy, I do enjoy taking photos of anything nature related.
    Rain has great videos for the artist. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, yes Rain does have great videos. thank you so much for visiting Happy weekend to you as well

      Delete
  19. Lanscape isn´t easy to paint. I like the walnut colors. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit