Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Food Wednesdays

 Welcome Everyone to our Food Wednesdays

     Food Wednesdays is a link up to share food posts with each other. Being all about the Food, there are no rules except the topic is Food-recipes, restaurants, cookbooks, history of food-what ever you would like to share with us about Food



   This past week I made us biscuits and gravy for our main meal which I haven't made in some time.  I used to be a really good bread baker but I never have mastered beautiful biscuits.  I did pick up this book a few years ago and I like their buttermilk biscuits-but this time they did not come out as high as I would like.


 I usually use a gluten free bun of some sort for me,  but this time I thought I would use the same recipe for Larry's biscuits but with gluten free flour-they turned out edible, and I was tired when I baked these-so I would try again but change the temperature a bit so they can bake longer. They were pretty good except not quite baked through on some of them.

    To make the gravy I use Jimmy Deans regular sausage in the pound packages, fry up, add milk-I used organic 2% milk, and then I thicken with a slurry of milk and cornstarch. Add a few red hot pepper flakes and freshly ground pepper


These are the wheat ones and some of them I made too small


I add eggs on top to serve.


Last week for some reason I had a taste for a Cool Whip dish I used to make years ago. Cool Whip folded into a drained can of unsweetened crushed pineapple, and a can of sugar free cherry pie filling.  This is always refreshing when it's hot outdoors. I don't look at the ingredients on the Cool Whip label for this or I probably wouldn't eat it haha    An old treat I make once in awhile.



Now it is your turn to share your Food Wednesdays post. Please link up with your Food Wednesday url and not your blog url thank you and have fun


26 comments:

  1. I love biscuits and gravy. They are decadent and so filling. I have always used Bisquick to make mine, but I don't need gluten free. I like to see the yolks of my eggs, too. I guess that's the British in me.

    I'm not playing this week because it is WOYWW's 13th anniversary. I've never missed one before and can't miss this one, either. I hope you understand and I'll be back next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Biscuits and gravy is a real treat for us. I grew up on Bisquick and they have a gluten free version now too-but it has too much salt-sadly for us now. We love our eggs like this too especially with the gravy.
      I totally understand Elizabeth-hugs

      Delete
  2. It all looks yummy Kathy.. Hubby would definitely go for the biscuits and gravy... I would probably have to beat him back with a stick..lol Happy Food Wednesday... Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I make this every few months for us-and one can control the salt making it homemade from scratch.

      Delete
  3. Sausage and gravy is a real treat. I am still working on a descent gf biscuit. I like Cool Whip almost as much as I do marshmallows! :~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like cool whip too, last time I went shopping I found sugar free cool whip so will see how that is next time in the gf section I usually can find really nice small gf buns so I usually use those for me.

      Delete
  4. Gravy and eggs for me, please, Kathy :-)
    Now I´m hungry!...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is really good-and cooks up fast-if you don't make your own biscuits-good eats

      Delete
  5. Your food always looks great, I rarely cook these days. Bread and cheese is often on my menu! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Valerie, nice though it seem you have good restaurants nearby so that's nice for a change hugs

      Delete
  6. My husband likes a hamburger sauce that is a lot like this. I personally am not a fan of gravy of any kind I know every loves gravy I am always odd person out.
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Cathy, I am not a gravy person at all-no gravy on my mashed potatoes etc. but I do enjoy this sausage gravy with a little extra spice added to it. I never knew about it til I married Larry

      Delete
  7. I'm with you about making biscuits. I've never had good luck with them, but I'm a good baker. I don't mind cool whip, but I've never used it in a dessert dish. That actually looks good. It's kind of vintage, but I love vintage recipes. I'll have to try it. I hope your week is going well and you're not working too hard in your gardens. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Erika, I know the techniques for the biscuits-do not over mix is a big one-I don't roll our the dough any more, just form it on the bread board, and also I had the baking powder must be fresh-so that must be the problem this time. I did work most of the day yesterday in the garden, but with the heavy rains last night will take a break today hugs

      Delete
  8. My sister would have loved this meal. It looks so good. Yum on the cool whip too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, years ago when we enjoyed going out for breakfast, is where I learned about biscuits and gravy-figured I could make it too and gluten free. My husband really likes the cool whip

      Delete
  9. I love that Cool Whip idea, sounds delicious! I'm a whipping cream fan for sure...maybe TOO much of a fan lol! Biscuits and gravy sounds divine. I admit I've never tried to bake biscuits, must put that on the baking wish list!!! ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the biscuits are pretty easy but you can not over mix and I forgot to check the date on my baking powder-it was old, I learned from food network that the baking powder Must be fresh to get the high biscuits.
      this dish is a vintage cool whip recipe but it is really refreshing on a hot day

      Delete
  10. Your biscuits look very much like our scones, which we eat with butter (and if sweet, cream and jam!
    I love the look and sound of your dessert. Wondering if Cool Whip is like our Dream Topping or Angel Delight - is it a faux cream or a fruit flavoured creamy textured dessert? Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, the biscuits are suppose to much higher like in the photo on the book, but my baking powder was too old so did not get a good rise. these probably do taste similiar to a scone this recipe had allot of butter in it.
      the cool whip is purchased frozen, let in thaw in the refrigerator over nite and then it has the consistency of whipped cream. so yes it is a faux cream-not flavored

      Delete
  11. I think my last comment went through as anonymous - blogger?!?!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit