Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Food Wednesdays

 Welcome to Food Wednesdays.

      Everyone is Welcome to join and link up with your Food Wednesdays Post. 

   No rules, as this is all about sharing Food, anything you wish to share about Food.

This week I am sharing a rice and shrimp dish I made last week. It was really delicious and we both really liked it. 

   I had a bag of shrimp in the freezer that needed to get used, and was thinking of a rice dish as a side.

    I do not serve rice too often any more do to the high carbs, but I do keep a high protein rice on hand which has been sprouted first and then dried.  I grabbed a stick of spicy pork chorizo, sweet peppers and onions.  Sauteed the veggies first in olive oil-drained and set aside. In same cast iron pan fried up the chorizo, added the veggies back in, and added in the cooked rice.  Covered it with a cast iron lid and turned the heat down very low.  Started water to boil the shrimp. I realized I was out of the shrimp spices so I just added in a good amount of hot red pepper flakes to the water. Boil the shrimp til they are curled, remove and slowly add more-to keep the water at a boil.





and for a dip for the shrimp my husband combined horseradish and these two sauces from Australia. If you love flavorful hot sauces these are the best, no additives only fruits and spices. I wanted to try their BBQ which they use as a condiment instead of the way we usually use BBQ sauce baked over ribs etc. I needed to buy that from their site. The hot sauce is their low heat and they have two more that increase in heat.



Now it's your turn to share a Food post. Please link up with your Food Wednesdays url and not your blog's url thank you.



21 comments:

  1. This looks yummy Kathy. My husband doesn't like rice so we never have it. And I do like it, so I guess I will have to live vicariously through your post. My food post will go live tomorrow morning. Thanks for hosting this; it is fun to share food posts. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This rice was really good-I will make it again.
      I am glad you are enjoying the food posts-see you tomorrow-hugs

      Delete
  2. We eat a lot of rice in our house. This is a lovely looking dish. I love shrimp. If the prices come down a bit I will try this. Have a nice day Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we love shrimp too, there is a local grocery store near us that sells wild caught usa shrimp that we just love. Just learning they sold their store-sigh- so am hoping they will still sell their seafood.
      I always like rice dishes like this but we needed to cut back on carbs so I make it for a treat for us now.

      Delete
  3. The rice sounds great - sadly the shrimp would have to be cooked - and eaten by Ingo ;-)
    The rice, great idea with the sausage and sauces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sausage works really well mixed in the rice-gives it the spice too

      Delete
  4. This looks very yummy! I have never tried sprouted rice...sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had either, but since it gives the rice more protein I tried it-cooks up nice.so it is my go to rice most of the time now. there are many grains available now that are sprouted first and then dried, a nice option

      Delete
  5. Hi Kathy! ☺ That rice dish looks delicious! When I used to eat more meat meals, I LOVED shrimp with rice! Btw, I do my posts on Thursdays, so I'll always be linking my last post from the previous week! I think you already visited! ☺☺♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Rain, ok thanks that explains why same post from last week-sounds good-hugs

      Delete
  6. Normally I would be salivating at the thought of shrimp and rice, but Monday Sally and I visited a Chinese buffet and I had fried rice (not real fond of plain white) and shrimp. Enough to satisfy me for a few days.

    Although I've never heard of sprouted rice before, the end result looks beautiful and no plain rice in sight. Nice recipe for those who eat meat.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Elizabeth, that sounds like a fun treat at the buffet for Sally's birthday I really like this sprouted rice but it is expensive

      Delete
  7. That looks so delicious, Kathy! I will look for that rice, it might be a good alternative to white rice. I'm not a fan of brown rice. When I lived in Taiwan I ate white rice every day and most days more than once. I usually bought my food from the street vendors, it was dirt cheap (for us) and delicious. White rice was always an ingredient, it's their basic food. I ate so much great food there and still lost weight. Ah, those were the days (I'm talking about the 80's...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sprouted grains are interesting ingredients -- some bread recipes also use sprouted wheat. I didn't know it increased the protein.

    Nice recipe.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mae, I found this information online In a 1/4-cup serving, sprouted brown rice contains 2 grams of fiber, roughly 170 calories and 4 grams of protein. This is far more fiber and protein that can be accessed in regular brown rice. Furthermore, this sprouted variety contains more vitamin E, B vitamins, and magnesium than its un-sprouted cousin.Jul 22, 2020

      Delete
  9. Looks and sounds yummy Kathy! We eat shrimp at Red Lobster on all you can eat Mondays...lol Never make it at home.. Yours look delish!! Hugs! deb

    PS.. Sorry i'm so late... It may be tonight or tomorrow but i'll get around to everyone..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry I'm late coming by, some days I just don't have the time or energy to write. Your food always looks terrific! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit