Sunday, June 27, 2021

T Stands for Tuesday - Weaving Update & at the Hummingbird Feeders

 Hello everyone,

    Welcome to our weekly T Stands for Tuesday event where we gather and link up at Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog and share a drink related photo in our post. See link in sidebar.

   Wow June is almost over and we will be into July and our Independence Day celebrations here in the States over the weekend. The lake will be having numerous events with loads of fireworks up and down the lake.  I have a front row seat as there are several neighbors across from us that so far have always put on a huge display-last year was spectacular with over 8 hours non stop fireworks. If interested check out my previous post for cast iron saturdays for recipe ideas for the up coming weekend.

   Weaving Update:

      Over the weekend I did finish the towels. I wasn't super pleased with one towel so I turned that into two hot pads for the table using double thickness of the weaving and a very thick felted down wool shirt.  I also had enough warp to weave a little more so it would not all be wasted yarns-I sewed that up into a little bag for my purse for my keys -- my keys are always sinking to the bottom so I can't find them-this will be perfect.

  The four towels ready to hand hem. I decided I did not like the second towel from the left-didn't care for the plain weave border, and there was a loose thread that couldn't get woven back in on the back.


Hemming the towels while Larry was reading on the deck-We were enjoying ice tea and watching the boats and blue herons


Below are the three finished towels-this was a new way for me to finish the edges. I usually zig zag a few times and then leave a short fringe.  I just really love this old twill pattern and these towels are so soft and absorbent-Love them! no more Wal mart towels ever again.


I took this photo to show how close I wove to where the harnesses are to weave a little more. a little dark but the back is about 2 inches away from the heddles, and the front I wove as far I could go


This was the extra woven piece


Below is the little bag I made It fits snuggly into a corner of my purse where I can drop the keys in.


The too hot pads I made from that one towel I didn't like The corners are a bit rounded-this was thick to sew through and I didn't want to clip the corners inside, but I love the way they turned out and will get used for sure.


The back with felted down wool-reclaimed shirt


The stack of hot pads.  The woven placemats that you can see, are really old. My Mom had them made for us by the rug weaver she used when she retired and moved back to the family farm-back 25-30 years ago or so. You can also see a couple of the lake coasters I picked up.


    I decided on my next weaving project last night-while going through  my stash of older Handwoven magazines. 

     I decided on another set of towels.  A totally new pattern for me. I searched my stash and found the white cotton for the warp (threaded on the loom) and found a couple yellow cottons to switch off with the blues and browns I have for the weft-which will show off the pattern.  I think these towels will be pretty

  This warping board is easier to use hanging on the wall-but I don't really have the space for that any more-so I just sit on the floor. This will be 8 yards long and should give me 6 towels perhaps 7. 

  Yep those of you that know me are probably thinking-Kathy's using white-she doesn't like white-haha This is true. When I checked my stash I found two of these that look like the right weight of cotton-I had picked these up at a yard sale years ago. Since the pattern is calling for white thought a good way to use up this yarn.


I found this big cone of yellow 100%  cotton in my stash. a  pretty yellow and very soft too


    Below image you can see the towel's pattern a little better-this was a shiny page. I don't think that white will be standing out as allot of white in this pattern.


   If you haven't gotten totally bored with my weaving projects-I wanted to share a few bird photos visiting the hummingbird feeders.  These all visited within several minutes Sunday morning.

   We have a couple hummingbird pairs that have now found my two feeders-the youngsters are beginning to visit too.



    We had to get out our bird books to discover who this visitor was-This is a male orchard oriole. In the sunlight one can see lovely auburn brown colors in his wings. His mate is suppose to be all yellow but we have not seen her yet. He visits every day.


I hadn't seen this woodpecker in awhile-so was happy he came by for a visit.


 Breakfast ready to take out to the deck-decaf coffee with cream and eggs over easy with black pepper and a no salt herb-spice blend.


Happy T Day everyone. If celebrating-enjoy the 4th it's our Independence Day!

   Started seeing the eagles again a couple times during the week


a little update Sunday night-I spent a couple hours at the warping board after 100 ends I ran into lots of knots-no good-in the trash it all went So I just bought the 8/2 cotton un mercerized  from Webs online-they always give good discounts too.  After I got into that yarn, it felt also like it wasn't all cotton-burn test showed it wasn't. so the knots were a good thing so I wouldn't use it.  That would have been a disappointment for sure.

41 comments:

  1. Your new towels are almost too pretty to use, but I hope you will. For someone who cooks a lot like you do, the kitchen towels and hot pads are perfect. Yes, our Independence Day is almost here, so it will be a week of preparing for the big day, especially there on the lake. I can only imagine how magnificent the fireworks are over the water. But for eight hours! Does anyone sleep? :~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes these will be used, and I am anxious to get set up for the next kitchen towels. I didn't have many good towels left except for holiday towels. Two went into the rag bag and I have one more that's still good. These feel so wonderful to use too.
      I love fireworks and when we used to drive to see them-it ended to quick for me-here I actually got tired watching after several hours haha. yes it is quite noisy and I think it will be huge this year

      Delete
  2. Your towels are beautiful. The new pattern is summery in blue and white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I am excited for this new to me pattern. I learned on my fb weaving group these are also known as friendship towels

      Delete
  3. You have been hardworking ;-)) Absolutely wonderful ready-made crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am NOT sure what happened, Kathy, but I hit a wrong key and it not only published the partial post above, it also kicked me off the internet. I had a hard time getting back on, because I forgot my password and had to hunt it down, using time I didn't have. Sorry if I confused you.

    I was going to say I loved how you used the one towel to turn it into two pot holders and a tiny purse for your keys. Wise choice.

    The hummingbirds and the feeder are great. Nice a new bird enjoyed it too. Those eagles are the best and that photo is outstanding.

    Your breakfast looks good, but I like my eggs up, rather than over easy. Regardless, they look good and so does your decaf and whatever you were drinking on the deck while pinning your towels. Thank you so much for sharing these with us for T this Tuesday and I'm very sorry for the problem earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. computers do strange things don't they-I deleted that partial comment. no worries.
      we really enjoy the eagles when they visit-they are busy raising their family now so we don't see them real often til fall. and really enjoying watching the orchard oriole-a new bird for us we needed to look him up in our bird books
      We were having ice teas at the table. Happy T

      Delete
  5. As always, you are so prolific and creative! Congratulations on finishing a long-held desire to weave a set of kitchen towels. They will look great for a very long time and serve you well! Just want to say if I don’t comment as much it doesn’t mean I’m not following and enjoying. It only means I’m slowing down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your weaving is stunning! I am in awe. WOW!!!
    Happy T day

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your woven pieces are absolutely beautiful Kathy!!
    Great pics of the birds- I love em all! I really must try and be patient and sit VERY still with camera in hand to get the birds(especially the hummingbirds). Thanks for sharing your breakfast eggs too but neither hubby nor I could ever eat them like that. Happy T day, and enjoy the festivities on the 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Linda. yes we sit real quiet at the deck with the camera, or allot of times I take photos indoors looking out the big windows-these were mostly taken that way the oriole is really skiddish.
      My husband always likes his eggs scrambled or in an omelet-My Mom always served them this way and I do like them still. Happy T and 4th to you as well

      Delete
  8. Your weaving is beautiful, those towels look so good! Well done! Beautiful photos, too, great to be able to sit and enjoy the wild life around you. happy T day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valerie, I am really enjoying using these towels too

      Delete
  9. Wow, your weaving looks so beautiful and I was amazed by all the different things you made from the fabric - fabulous 😀. So lovely to see all your feathered friends visiting your garden by the lake, the hummingbird is a delight as is the eagle - perfect! Happy Independence Day and T Day! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always good to see and read about your weaving adventures - they always impress me, Kathy. I can't believe what 8 hours of fireworks on the lake would be like - must be amazing. Cool hummingbird pictures and I know the decaf and eggs tasted even better on your fab deck! Happy T-day. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you-it is really good to be back to weaving again it's been awhile. It was fabulous last year with different homes shooting off fireworks Yes we are really enjoying our deck especially early mornings

      Delete
  11. Kathy your towels are beautiful, I love the colours and pattern you’ve made and he edging too.
    I look forward to seeing the next o es as the pattern looks complicated.
    Lovely to watch the birds and lovely photos of the lake, our son is joining a car rally with a friend, it’s vintage cars and his friend has an Austin Healey,
    Happy T Day
    Jan
    Happy T day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds like allot of fun for your son and his friend. I am anxious to start on the next weaving project-a new weaving pattern for me

      Delete
  12. Your towels are beautiful!
    Drop keys - are you kidding me., I thought yesterday I lost mine!!!
    Two security keys on it, one for the house, the other for our condo. Luckily they just got "soaked" in the backpack! I was near to a heart attack!

    Awww, swett memories of your Mom!

    Awww, your lake - and the eggs, yum! And the mug! We sold our Harley (sadly) years ago. We called her "Moped", she was from 1977/78, a LOUD beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is always scary hunting for keys for sure yikes.
      Larry still has his Harley-he will be selling it soon I think he built it from the ground up-a huge project

      Delete
  13. Your towels looks great Kathy. You could sell those on Etsy they looks so wonderful. And I've heard other people say they've had other visitors at their hummingbird feeder, but not me. Only hummingbirds-but that is ok with me. Don't you just love the hummingbirds buzzing around. And eating out on the deck must be enjoyable having the water to look at. Enjoy your T Day and July 4th too. Happy T day. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Erika, these were not "perfect" enough to sell, I am doing some projects like this to get back into producing nicer hand wovens. I really want to sew a few clothes soon.
      we have very few here at the lake right now they are so fun to watch. at the woods house I fed hundreds haha I had to fill up about 10 feeders three times a day-allot of work but we really enjoyed them Happy 4th!

      Delete
  14. Oh what beautiful towels! Almost too pretty to use! And I like the white and blue ones even more. I'm sorry the white yarn was such a disappointment, but it's better you discovered it now and not later after you had finished weaving and washed it.
    Your pot holders are great. One can never have enough of those.
    Great to see the hummingbird and the eagle as regulars. What a privilege it is to have front row seats for these creatures.
    Your eggs are making me hungry.
    Happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Lisca, I did make these towels to use, but watching that Hubs has really clean hands before he dries with the towel haha Yes we really enjoy the birds very much so blessed to have an eagle pair near by.
      Happy T hugs oh and hoping the little loom reaches you soon

      Delete
  15. Your weaving is so... I don't know how to describe it, so tight and regular and closely woven. Real skill there. We don't get as many hummingbirds at our feeder as you do, but we enjoy seeing them. I've never seen a woodpecker at ours. Wow! The eagles make for exciting bird-watching. They say we get them here, but they stay closer to the river and I never see them. Your eggs look perfect! Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much-I just love this Viking era twill pattern I think on how many have woven this since back then.
      here at the lake we only have a couple hummingbird pairs so far-nothing like the amount at the woods house. woodpeckers do love nectar too and some will destroy the feeder trying to get to it-not here so far. we are blessed to have a eagle pair nesting nearby. Happy T

      Delete
  16. Really nice post Kathy. Your weaving is fabulous. Nice shots of the birds too. Always good luck to see a woodpecker. Have a great day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much-I appreciate that very much. I did not know woodpeckers bring good luck-you have a great day too

      Delete
  17. Those towels are AMAZING! It looks so difficult and tricky to weave but seeing yours makes me want to try. And being extra absorbent is a plus. I have a hard time finding towels that don't just move the water around.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Kate-and the feel of these handwoven towels is so wonderful. many people are now weaving on rigid heddle looms-they are small table top looms but do come in much larger weaving widths now-it is only plain weave but there is allot you can do with plain weave too

      Delete
  18. Lovely towels and your deck is such a pretty place to work on crafts. Enjoy the Fourth and the fireworks. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you CJ we are enjoying the deck much more this summer-big plus is no ticks and chiggers at our feet like at the woods house-awesome lol

      Delete
  19. Love your birds. How cool is that, you have hummingbirds on the Hummingbird blog. :) Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love those towels and what you did with the one you didn't like! I can't imagine much better than your eggs and coffee while watching the birds. You are so lucky seeing the eagles! Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris I am happy with this weaving project. yes we are very lucky to be able to see the eagles here, our new morning routine is breakfast on the deck very early-Happy T hugs

      Delete
  21. Wonderful to see all your winged guests enjoying a sip or two from your bird feeder. Obviously the word spreads fast then... I bet they trill it out to all "hey! there's nice couple of feeders at Kathy's place!" It is really great that the eagles are back. It seems to me there is never a dull moment watching the lake and shore from your deck :-) I do like those handwoven towels you have finished and your choice of colours too. Good initiative creating those hot pads from the towels you weren't so happy with. I can see they will be very practical. I am already looking forward to seeing your next lot of towels. Enjoy your 4th July. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Amanda, thank you so much-it's been a joy for us to see more hummingbirds now It takes a bit for them to find new feeders as they usually return back to the same locations.
      I have really enjoyed being back to weaving more seriously again-anxiously waiting for the new yarn to arrive so I can start on the new towels. thanks about the 4th and happy rest of your week

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit