Monday, June 14, 2021

T Stands for Friends and Wineries

   Happy T for Tuesday, 

       We gather with friends over at Bleubeard and Elizabeth's and share a drink  related photo in our blog post. You are most welcome to link up-find link in my sidebar.

    The sewer project here is still craziness, including a major project for us getting the basement bathroom totally changed so it can get hooked in to the sewer system. We knew when we purchased this home that the previous owners did so many things incorrectly that would have to be redone-electric is still a biggie, and the bathroom in the basement as well. That project continues today.

  On the fun side our very dear and long time friends that live in Wisconsin drove down for a long weekend. They are semi retired now and working towards full retirement but they are now able to work part time-working Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday to give them long weekends. So for me especially this was super fun to have them visit. They come every year but do to covid it's been two years now since we have seen them.

  Marie loves to visit small business wineries all over the country. She has a circle of girl friends that will take off for a few days visiting wineries and doing girl stuff-shopping and dining haha. Her husband Rob enjoys it as well. So she came with a list of wineries to visit in a nearby town Stover, Missouri. I have driven through Stover, but never stopped there. It is a very old town surrounded with farms and I had no idea they had wineries. 

   We visited three-my favorite was the first stop Timber Ridge Winery. After the few people that were there left we had the tasting area all to ourselves. Learned allot about the couple, took me down memory lane of places I visited in Wisconsin as a kid. I tasted a few and bought one bottle- their dry elderberry wine. If you are on Facebook they have a better presence there where I found this photo. They cleared the land where this building sits and built the rustic barn. This was a hobby and once retired decided to go into the business they have just recently opened


and this is the only photo I remembered to take-you can see the wine glasses Marie collects.



The next stop Dale Hollow Winery was packed with people as they had live entertainment outdoors, and one could go into their shop to taste the wine and purchase to drink at the event or take home. I thought they were smart as they had allot of bottles chilled. We have been in the 90's f all weekend with high humidity.

    My friends bought a few bottles here and I bought one bottle that was a really different dry white wine.  I tried their lake house white wine and did not like it at all so then tried their Haw Creek dry white because it was so different.  We only stayed long enough to taste and buy wines and her collector wine glass since they were packed with people.

  from their site



  The third winery was Wildlife Ridge Winery  By this time especially since we had only eaten a very small breakfast-cheesecake-haha  I only tasted one wine, I didn't really care for it and I also was not wanting to purchase any more wine than the two I had.  My friends picked up a couple wines here and one of the etched wine glasses. She has one from all of her winery visits.


  I can see why wineries can be an adventure, especially small family run wineries. You are supporting small business's and a fun day out.

  My husband is not up to this sort of thing plus he wanted to work on the sewer project in the basement so he would be further along when our help came back on Monday 


  Of course by this time we needed food.  I had set up food for Larry in the fridge for his lunch and we also brought back food.  

We stopped in Versailles, Mo at Bee's Knees Brewery   My friends ordered a hand tossed, wood fired pizza, and I ordered their Greek Gyro salad-which was huge.

'

We also each bought one of these glasses. Rob had their stout beer which he said Larry would have loved. They bought a glass for a friend of theirs that collects beer glasses, and I fell in love with it as the Bees reminded me of Outlander and it was a heavy glass.
   When the owner is there he will give tours but we didn't get to do that this time. Here is a link to their menu


   

  So that was a very busy Saturday for me.  Sunday I helped Larry with the sewer job for a bit in the early morning, and then Marie and I made up a big breakfast-hash browns, eggs, thick bacon, coffee-cheesecake-of course haha.   Sunday some fished off the dock, as the lake was still very busy. Marie and I cooked up a nice dinner, and I also made us fresh mango margaritas-so delicious!! Afterwards, Marie and I chatted for hours and drank wine-a good catch up. a perfect weekend!!

This past week we did spot the eagle visiting.


and wild clouds that looked like a dog sitting


and Larry spotted a rainbow but when I was deleting photos I deleted that one by mistake.

and to close with one more drink-I got this recipe in my inbox from my favorite online spice shop The Spice House-- Cardamon Plum Iced Tea





   Happy new week everyone and Happy T wishes


37 comments:

  1. Now that's my kind of day out. I'm a big fan of wine and beer. :) Did a tour of wineries with a couple of friends in Upstate NY many years ago. Sure was a lot of fun. Definitely looks like you had a very good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy-I had a wonderful day out with friends-a real treat for me

      Delete
  2. Wineries are big here, too. I remember when I lived in MO, they were everywhere, so I was surprised to see there were a few in Kansas, too. Looks and sounds like you had a wonderful time out and about at the three wineries.

    I tried some Elderberry dessert wine and enjoyed it. You would have hated it because it was sweet. I'm not fond of wine because it usually tastes like bad vinegar to me. However, I DO like dessert wines and I LOVE stout beer, the only beer I'll drink.

    Your food sounds good and it was nice to see your friends who spent the weekend with you. Sounds like the two of you did a lot of cooking and talking while the guys were off fishing and doing what men do (grin). It must have been a great time and to see your friends again after two years.

    Thanks for sharing your weekend, your winery visits, your time with your friends, and all that food and many drinks with us for T this week, dear Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to smile as my husband and this friend Rob will only drink a stout beer-especially the European stouts. I don't like sweet at all, my friends though like semi sweet wines mostly and they picked up a couple dessert wines.
      It was a real lift for me to be able to enjoy and visit these friends again. and Marie and I both love to cook and bake-it was too hot to do that outdoors and the sewer project has made our backyard a total disaster for now

      Delete
  3. what a fun and adventurous day with friends! I do like supporting local wineries but like you do not drink much at all while at the establishments, and I guess I'm picky cuz I often find them too sweet and mild for my liking:):) Yummy looking food, and I do really like that bee glass too.
    Good luck with all the home renovating. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes very fun, I stop tasting when I find one I just really like. at the first winery the dry elderberry wine was a hit for me-I only tried a couple more after that first one. I am glad I picked up the heavy bee glass-I really like it too-thanks

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you had a fantastic weekend Kathy. Isn't it good to see friends after all this time? It is fun to visit wineries and breweries. Especially after Covid. This is a fun post Kathy and enjoyed reading it. Have a great T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good to visit these friends. We have known each other probably 25 years or more. I am so glad you enjoyed the post-hugs

      Delete
  5. Oh, boy, am I glad to live in Germany - electrics are always to the norm here.
    But our kitchen tiles sure "kill" me. So cheap and badly made, the pre-owners did make a very bad choice and we live with this since 11 years! (We re-made the ugly ceiling within a month back then)

    YAY for your friends visiting. 2 years, oh, boy!!
    :-) Ingo always enjoys joining "us girls", too - those are real men!
    AHA! That´s a wine glass I collected from the street then. Shoot, I don´t like wine much, LOL!

    Supporting small wineries is good. And, oh, I sure would love to visit Mo!!! Hope "our guys" make honey-beer again this year. And Mo´s Pizza there looks yum. And the glass!
    Hope you made a wish before the accidetial deleting of the rainbow!
    Happy T-Day and cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah I didn't think to make a wish with the rainbow-I will do that next time. I don't like the sweet wines but do enjoy the drier reds especially.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos, it looks like you had a wonderful time with your friends. It's so good to be able to meet up again. Hope all goes well with the sewer! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie, Yes the sewer project is coming along-more work today

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a fun weekend with your friends. They have Winery tours over here and only a couple of hours away, we had a coach trip and one was really good, gave us plenty to try, we shared a couple of cases with our friends, the other only wanted to sell so we didn't buy anything!
    We also went to Jerez to the sherry distillery, that was amazing!
    Have a Happy T Day
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to tour a distillery-that would be fun. Hoping to be able to tour the beer distillery one day, especially since it's close

      Delete
  8. What fun to visit all the wineries, it looks like you all had lots of fun 😀. Your meals look delicious too, especially that yummy pizza! The beer glass is amazing with the bee on it and I'd love to try that beer too - Happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice that you got to spend the weekend with your friends. The winery hop sounds like fun followed by a delicious lunch. Loved the photo of the cloud dog. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CJ Yes I really had so much fun-we don't get out to do much any more so it was extra special

      Delete
  10. Looks and sounds like a relaxing and fun weekend with your friend. Chatting for hours over drinks and the sunset sound like my kind of weekend.
    Sewer stuff can be a mess. But I know what you mean about previous owners not fixing things properly. It seems to have happened in every house we have been in. Hopefully, the repairs will go smoothly.
    That iced tea sounds like a really great blend of flavors.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Kate, same with us-every house we have been Larry has needed to fix and upgrade-comes with older homes. This one we knew about the electric being bad, but so many other things have popped up too.
      I thought the tea sounded good too Happy Tea

      Delete
  11. What an enjoyable outing! I hadn't realized there were so many local wineries close to where you live. It's a pleasure to be able to support locally-owned small businesses. The live music sounds like a genius addition to a winery event. That pizza looks tasty. The lake, as always, looks like the best place to be. When I look for places I might want to relocate to in retirement -not that it's likely we'll move- I'm always drawn to places with lakes :) The views from your deck are perfect.

    Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea either-I was really surprised when my friend had a list of 4 around Stover, Mo which is not that far from us-one had closed It was very fun. Being celiac I couldn't try the pizza but it smelled soooo good-they brought home some and they said was good cold too.
      when we retired we moved into the woods on 300 acres and I really loved it-I could do allot of pioneer type stuff-hunting, herb collecting, natural dyeing and more but it was time to downsize for my husband and he wanted to be back on the lake--when he was younger he lived on Lake Michigan with a boat. so I said let's do it. I so enjoy the views and I can be outside without loading up on bug spray-and still getting bit by tics and chiggers-so that is a big plus for me.
      we are seeing so many different birds this year too that we didn't see or notice last year-loons, many varities of woodpeckers, orchard oriole, hummingbirds, and more

      Delete
  12. What a great day out. My sort of day out really. I love supporting small businesses, especially in my area.
    The wines and the pizza look really nice and I suppose it was just wonderful to catch up with friends you haven't see for nearly two years.
    Happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisca, yes a wonderful long weekend with friends-they drove down from the state of Wisconsin about 7-8 hours drive

      Delete
  13. A very nice trip to the wineries. Great photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kathy it sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. Nothing compares to time spent with good friends. I had a similar weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really think you were needing a long weekend like this. Slow mail is good, but ever so often, one needs a friend to spend time with. We have a couple of wineries near here. Several years ago we had a special occasion to eat at one of them. The setting and food was way out there wonderful. You must surely be enjoying these hot days there on the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes this long weekend with friends was exactly what I needed-hugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. Visiting Wineries sounds like fun, especially with friends Its good to have the sewers come along and spur you on to make those improvements. I hope all goes well. Your description of breakfast sounds wonderful! Lovely to see the Eagle Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  18. You had me at the plum iced tea! I have to go look at that recipe! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great assortment of photos. I just wanted to pop by and say, "Hi." I've been having a few issues for awhile now, so I haven't been able to do much blog visiting. I hope you've been doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happiest Weekend! Sounds like good fun, and delicious as well.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit