Monday, February 19, 2018

T Stands for Tuesday & This and That

T Stands for Tuesday is an event where we gather together and share a drink related post with our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth. You are most welcome to join us-find the link in my right hand column.

   I do have several ideas to add to my January pages in my fabric art journal but I am at a standstill for the moment.

     I did order a light box so I could trace images to make appliques or to embroider. Wow they have really changed over the years too.

    I also got the idea to look for a 2018 Olympics pin to add to my page. I found two that I loved but lost both bids. The most I wanted to pay was around $15.00 tops.  One pin I was looking at will go well with my mountains I checked on Amazon and wow this pin is being sold for $50.00 no wonder I am losing the bids haha.   
    One seller must have gotten allot of these to sell, so I tried one more time and lost that bid as well-surprise in my email box he sent me a second chance offer-I could buy the pin for what my last bid was-so I got it for under $15.00 with the shipping.  That so made my day.

   Soooo with today (Monday) being our President's Day our post offices are closed. No mail 
   Tomorrow the pin and the light box should both be there-However we may wake up tomorrow with everything iced over. If that is the case we will not be venturing out of the woods to drive to the post office. I will need to remain patient haha  
    I also splurged and bought the latest boxed movie set of the Twilight series.I loved those books and have re read them several times. I have caught some of the movies on the tv but I think they have been cut allot and all those commercials too ugh. So I have a bunch of happy mail coming in this week-can't wait.  
   Have you read the Twilight books or seen the movies? I loved Edward better in the books-but I loved that the movies seemed to pretty much follow the books. 

   In my last post you can see how I decided to add the snow to my mountains-I am loving it. I used white wool thread instead of the puffy paint.



   Since I am using wool threads to hand sew in my journal I really needed to pick up those cheapie needle threaders-you find them in those mini sewing kits. Like Elizabeth  mentioned these break so easily. I had picked up one package of three that ran around a dollar a piece-and they do break, even though I try to be really careful with them. 
    So I went on Ebay to see if could find a better price-as I will be going through allot of these-- and You will not believe this-I didn't-from China (and these threaders are made in China) I could buy 100 for $1.25 and free shipping. I don't know how they are making money on these. and instead of waiting a month to get them they came in around 2 weeks.  
      So this problem is solved. smiles





   I do love watching the Olympics and have been watching many hours of it-the weather is not nice to be out in and I am retired so I am just enjoying lots of it on several different channels. Also the events live are either super early in the morning or after midnight it seems too.
     I would have to say the only winter sport I am not crazy about watching is the speed skating-but that can also be exciting too. 
    Watching so much of it this time around, you get a feel for the different athletes-some I think are obsessed to get a medal and others just want to enjoy the Olympic experience. I really felt for the figure skater in Germany-this was her 5th Olympics-20 years and she finally got her gold medal. I really enjoyed the mens and womens biathlon and the snow boarding, and downhill.
  
  While watching the games I have been sewing the hexies. I am getting a little faster but at this rate I may not live along enough to finish haha  It probably takes me 8 to 10 hours to complete one of these rosettes perhaps longer. I am using silk thread so that is taking me a bit longer too-hoping I will get faster.  
     So far I am enjoying this project as it is a quilt I always wanted to make.




We did get a surprise wildlife visitor a couple days ago.  After putting the corn out and was inside and then looked out the window  Wow a little 4 point buck. He stayed eating for over half an hour






When the temperatures a bit warmer we get a carpet of doves that fly in for the bird seed.  If you enlarge the below photo you will see more doves.





My drinks this week: on a cold evening I made myself hot chocolate with heart shaped marshmallows on top, and for the week I opened up another red wine-not as dry as the merlot






Happy T For Tuesday everyone! Thank you so much for visiting.

19 comments:

  1. I'm laughing at the wine reference. Glad this was better. Never tried it.

    But back to the rest of the post. That just goes to show you the mark up on those needle threaders. Those should last you through the rest of your fabric book (grin). So glad you got the pin you wanted to add to your Olympic inspired page. And I can see why it would take a long time to make those hexes. My fingers would stiffen before I covered the first hex, much less put them together. You are doing a beautiful job.

    Thanks for sharing your sewing, your deer and nature shots, your wine, and your hot chocolate with the cute marshmallow for T this week. Now hot chocolate is something I can sink my teeth into (grin).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kathy,

    You certainly get lots of wildlife at your place! I have seen deer scat in our woods, but they make themselves scarce in the day time.
    I am enjoying seeing your applique progress.
    Love,
    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those snow capped mountains. And those hexes are so pretty! It will be beautiful when you are finished. That's so neat that you are able to work on a project that you have always wanted to do. So many people have those kinds of lists but never actually take the time to start the project.
    Love the deer and those heart shaped marshmallows.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a great buyer/bargain hunter Kathy! Glad you got your pin. Never saw or read the Twilight series. I'm more into Downton Abbey and Victoria-British and period themes. Love the deer pics. your fabric work is wonderful. And I'll toat with a glass of cab to your lovely well rounded post. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When the Young One was a freshman in high school, she told me she was reading this vampire romance story. I started reading it to make sure it was suitable. We read the series together. I loved it. I thought the movies were done well staying fairly close to the books. My favorite character was Edward's father, Carlisle.

    I really like the way you used the thread to make the snow. It's very effective. Not sure you would have gotten as much contrast using the puffy paint.

    The deer is so cute and I have never seen that many mourning doves. I have two pair that visit my feeder.

    Not a big sports fan so haven't followed the Winter Olympics, but I would gladly have a mug of your hot chocolate and heart shape marshmallow. and congrats on scoring the OLympic pin. If sewing hexies was an Olympic event, you would win the gold. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always lovely to see your sewing. Glad you got those needle threaders so cheaply. I order a lo of crafting and sewing stuff from China as it is so cheap, but the quality has not been different to the 'normal' things you can buy in the shops. Lovely photos of the wildlife. Your hot chocolate looks great. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love your mountain tops with the White thread, definitely makes great snow! and i´m going to look for These ebay needle threaders, too. though generally These silver thingies are not for thicker threads, but should do it for thin one.
    i love the look of your hexies, but i think i will stick to the easier squares LOL - i definitely wouldn´t survive it.
    nice peek to your deer and birds!
    happy t-day, Kathy! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading your post this morning, but was drawn straight away to the bargain you got with the needle threaders. It does make me wonder how they can get away with charging such high prices in some shops.
    Your hexes are looking lovely, no matter how long it takes, it will be be something you will treasure in the future.
    The photos were all lovely and hot chocolate looks yummy.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've been busy and having some fun I think.That is one huge lot of needle threaders. I don't think I have ever seen so many at once. They are made pretty cheaply though so you do go through them. :) Hope all your quilts are coming along as well as the hexagon one. Hope all else is well. Happy T day Kathy. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you've been enjoying the Olympics and your new fabric page looks great, I love the snowy mountains and I can't wait to see the pin too 😁. So nice to see your visitors, he looks very handsome and must have enjoyed the corn you put out. Your quilt is looking fabulous too and I'll happily join you for a warming hot chocolate especially with those yummy marshmallows 😀. Wishing you a very Happy T Day! J 😊
    p.s. thanks for your lovely comments on my blog! J x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm wowed by your nature photos. Our temps are much warmer than yours, and we're expecting a high today in the 70s F. I'm glad you got your Olympic pin for a decent price :) We enjoy watching the Olympics. I've not read or seen any of the Twilight books or shows. My last tv vampires were Buffy and Angel, I think. Your drink choices would suit me fine ;) Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you have lots to look forward to' mail wise. You were lucky to get that pin on second chance offer. That happened to me too a few times. And your needle threaders certainly are a bargain!
    Yes, I read the books (Twilight) and loved them. I read them when they first came out and frustratingly had to wait for the next one to be written! Eventually I also saw the films (in the cinema) and Edward was well casted although one has ones own fantasies when reading a book.
    I love your surprise visitor. And he stayed so long too.
    Those hexagons are beautiful. Just be patient. A stitch a day is a vest a year my mum used to say (in Dutch of course)
    Talking about Dutch, mum keeps me up to date with the winter olympics (we don't have tv) and she said the Dutch were doing well at speed skating. So perhaps you saw some of that.
    Yes, I'll join you for a mug of hot chocolate (with marshmellows).
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are an amazing bargain hunter Kathy and you are alwaýs so busy and creative - the deer pics are adorable again!
    Happy T- pardon" Hot cacoa with marshmallows" Day! lookks tempting!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  14. needle threaders now there is something I recognise..love your hexagons and beautiful deer are a delight to see and love the heart marshmallow in your rustic cup

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved the Twilight books, thought as was the only one who re-read them! Your snow capped mountains are perfect. We have deer But don’t see them often. I think corn is the answer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that you got all those needle threaders! I could use that many! What a great deal, too! Quilts, I have a box of those hexagons that my grandma started. I always thought I would finish it, but too overwhelming! I have done quilts, but not with little pieces like that. I like the hand quilting, not the piecing together of it. Great photo of your visitors. :) Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have lots of fun mail coming your way, Kathy. It's fun to anticipate. Good for you on your buys: the Olympic pin and the needle threaders - those should last you through the beautiful hexie quilt ;-).

    Your nature shots are really cool - to have so much wildlife right outside your window - wow! The big birds are wild turkeys, right?

    You made a good choice on the snow. The yarn adds nice dimension.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kathy your visit inspired me to join the Tparty this week. I sure do miss everyone when i'm gone.. What a great job you are doing on that quilt! I'am amazed at your tenacity.. I tend to take on time consuming tedious projects too and about half way through i regret it.. But the results at the end are worth it. i haven't caught the Olympics this year... So much going on at the moment.. I like the Figure Skating but i haven't even caught that.. I'm more of a Summer Olympic person really.. We haven't seen a buck in forever.. but then the area around my house has changed alot...more active shooters.... land clearing etc.. Still plenty of does and yearlings though.. Happy happy T day Kathy... that hot chocolate looks divine!! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your sewing looks wonderful! Love those snowcapped mountains!!! You are so lucky to see the deer and the birds too! I don't know anything about Twilight except seeing odd bits when hubby was watching - not my kind of this I'm afraid! The Winter Olympics are a different matter though - really loving everything! Belated Happy T Day - things became busier than I expected yesterday! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit