Friday, February 23, 2018

Cast Iron Cooking and Baking On Friday

Happy Friday,

   Most of you all know how much I enjoy using my cast iron pieces for cooking and baking.
   I grew up with cast iron, and when I got married my Hubs loves it too so we have been collecting pieces together for over 35 years now.
   I thought I would share links to recipes and more on Fridays using cast iron.
   I have had neighbors tell me I need to get rid of my cast iron pieces since I am a senior now. No way I tell them haha  
   It now takes two hands now to pick up a piece but I love it too much to stop using it now. It is pretty much all I use too except for my vintage revere ware pieces.

   Yesterday I wanted to bake up something with apples but didn't want to make a crust or use the oven. So, I am thinking years ago when cooks used a wood cook stove or even hearth cooking there must have been times when they didn't want to set up the oven.

   So I decided to make up a pie filling like I always do-apples, apple pie spice, instant tapioca, and a sweetener this time I used agave. I also added in a few dried rainier cherries.
    I got out one of my seasoned cast iron skillets; put just a little bit of water on the bottom. Set my gas flame to low and poured in the apple mixture. Placed a lid on top-I have cast iron lids.
   Once the apples were almost cooked through, I mixed up a big handful of gluten free old fashioned oats, a tablespoon of melted butter, a couple tablespoons of gluten free all purpose flour, cinnamon-mixed that up and put it on top of the apples. Placed the lid on top 
    I was working on supper at the time, so I just checked everything about every 10 minutes or so. Turned out delicious. With the addition of the instant tapioca you can see the dish absorbed all of the extra liquid.
   I will be making this again with other fresh fruits.



Here is a link I found for cast iron desserts  these recipes say for fall but they all look good enough to me for eating any time of the year.


If you think you might be interested in joining in to share cast iron recipes let me know and I will look back into setting up a link up

7 comments:

  1. Your apple crisp looks delicious. I don't have a cast iron pan. Wondered if I could even use cast iron as my stove top is electric with a glass cook top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use my cast iron skillets on an electric glass top - works fine!

      Delete
  2. Your apple bake looks delicious. We have some aged cast iron French casserole pans which I have to ask my husband to lift when I use them, but they are brilliant pots and work so well on my gas hob.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't give up your favorite pans until you can't lift them any more. Some people think age really means you have to stop doing what you love, which is crazy, don't you think? You stop when you can't do it anymore, and only then. That's my words of wisdom I guess. Hee-hee. Your baking looks delicious. Your husband must love that you always make these great things to eat and like to experiment in the kitchen. Happy start to your weekend Kathy. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as you can move them, use them. Your baked goods always look so good. Enjoy! Have a wonderful weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have been here sooner, but I’m still having phone and internet problems from the ice storm we had two nights ago. To make matters worse, my keyboard is acting up again. I’ll just stop before I get too frustrated and agree as long as you can pick them up, please keep cooking with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your apple dessert looks and sounds heavenly and the link offers so many fantastic dessert ideas as well!
    Thanks for sharing Kathy!
    I use a set of stainless steel pots for many many years now for cooking and am just happy with them. You should use your pots furthermore, why not ?!If you can't handle them any longer you will not be able to handle cooking at all I guess.
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit