Sunday, September 1, 2024

Welcoming in September-Pumpkin Bread & Football

   I have been soooo ready for September and hopefully cooler weather.

     We do still have high humidity, no rain-it passed on by-so the 80's still feel very warm here at the lake.

To welcome in September I made gluten free pumpkin bread. I had found a recipe online that I double so I can use up the whole small can of pumpkin to make two loaves.

  I grabbed the gluten free baking pans I bought several years ago from King Arthur. These are tall and more narrow for a better gluten free bake. I have also learned to grab the instant read thermometer to know they are baked through. That was a game change when I read about this online: needs to read 195-205 degrees F I usually aim for 200 F Even with the gluten free recipes the bake needs 10 to 15 minutes more to be baked in the middle  In the past I have tossed so many breads cause they were raw in the middle.



Once the loaves are cool, I cut them in half and freeze all but one.


I added in dried tart cherries that I found at Sam's club-these are large and moist


   Being someone that loves to watch sports on the tv-I found the season opener game for Notre Dame. I grew up near Notre Dame University in South Bend Indiana-and was my introduction to football as a kid. I was the only one in the family that watched it   They played Texas A&M What a very loud and packed stadium-They screamed loudly-over 100 thousand there. I have never seen anything like it.  Exciting to the end and Notre Dame won. I was exhausted after watching the game lol Really something else.  I was glad I could find the game here in Missouri hopefully I can watch most of their games like I was able to last year.

  I made Larry homemade blueberry pancakes-with real maple syrup. He would eat these several times a week but I limit all these sugars to once a week for him.

  I will be making baby back ribs today-there will be leftovers for tomorrow. Not sure what the sides will be-thinking to keep it simple with less carbs and perhaps simmer up some cabbage.

 Starting Tuesday most of the summer lake homes will be locked up til Memorial Day. The Lake will be more peaceful-mostly fisherman, and all the water fowl will be returning too Looking forward to that and hopefully this high humidity will go away too.

Happy September!



7 comments:

  1. I'll pass on the football but the pumpkin bread sounds great. I hear you about the lake after Labor Day. Same here, which is why September is one of my favorite months up here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry does not watch sports either-he is the sports "widow" in the house lol

      Delete
  2. Thank you I am really happy with this recipe. Yes this has been a very rough summer this year-just too hot and humid for us most days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pumpkin bread. YUM! Dont watch college football but if I did it would be the Michigan Wolverines. Once it gets cooler here the river on the weekend will have less traffic on it as well. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today the lake was crazy busy some of the neighbors did fireworks tonight too. only watch the Notre Dame games kinda reminds me of back home when they play in South Bend

      Delete
  4. Aaahh Kathy we have some cooler weather too but walking out the door the humidity is like hitting a brick wall...uuugh... always something to complain about... lol But we've had RAIN and more expected ... if even half of it comes true it will be wonderful.. All your food sounds so yummy.. I found a recipe for some gluten free muffins from Martha Stewart back in the day...Have a Granddaughter that needs to be gluten free so i thought i'd try them.. Not a fan of college ball but i love the NFL.. Since all my old fogie quarterbacks have retired... think Aaron Rogers is still hanging on i don't watch as much as i used to... But i have some younger quarterbacks i like... Mahomes, and Dak Prescott, theres more but i can't think of them now.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching pro football too but college football has totally different atmosphere-very exciting. I only watch Notre Dame though. I still follow the green bay packers-started watching them when I was in college in Wisconsin in 1967 They have a really good quarterback this year-one to watch could be in the super bowl. and then since moving to Missouri I follow the Chiefs and Mahomes. Mahomes is amazing to watch. better than Brady in my opinion
      We are cool today and the humidity is finally gone-hoping to start working on grass tomorrow.
      So glad you got rain!! hugs

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit