Monday, April 6, 2020

T Stands for Tuesday & More Spring "Doings"

  Hi everyone, and Happy T Stands for Tuesday with our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth. We share a drink related post and link up for T visits with friends. You are most welcome to join us.

   Today (Monday) we are back to spring like temperatures-we made it back up to the 70's F today-after having much colder weather with rain and storms late last week and weekend.
   The eagles have been sitting up in that tree again-one day it's the male and the next day the female. I think this is the month they are raising their newborns. I just love hearing the male sing.

   I was burning more leaves again today-One more day and I will have the big pile finished-and then I have a bit more raking to do which which will give me another day or two of burning. I have to make sure there is no wind when I burn.
  The grass keeps growing and we don't have a lawn mower. Larry was thinking of buying one but I don't think that is a good idea with his health concerns-and all the yard is on a slope, This week I am going to search for a service to cut it for us-hopefully that will work out.

   This past week Larry has been up at the garage sanding and welding vintage iron tables and chairs for our deck area. We have had these pieces over the years and just never had the time to refurbish them. I am really excited about it. Originally the tables had glass for tops, but he found this cool piece of a patterned iron sheet I guess you would call it that he has cut to size and welded it in the tables.

  My job is to wipe the pieces down and paint-I decided it would be better to prime them first-so am hoping I can get that at Wal mart tomorrow (Tuesday) when I go food shopping.

  The larger table and four chairs we have had with us ever since we have been together-going on  40 years now. I always thought these were  garage sale finds-Larry told me today that when he was a young boy he traveled on vacation with his parents to Mexico. His Mom fell in love with this set and had to have it. They needed to strap the pieces to the top of the car-I can only imagine-he says he still remembers his father complaining as they had to constantly stop and tightened everything  back up.  So this is a special set that am just now knowing about.

  Those two smaller tables are quite heavy and he had found those at a garage sale. Behind to the right are two vintage farm tractor seats that have been converted to chairs. These will make cool seats for the deck too.




and we have two of these chairs and two plain ones that go with the table. He said these were beautiful and all the rage back when his Mom bought them
    I am going to see if I can find small cans of rust-oleum of the green and red. and will search for outdoor fabric to make cushions-I will check out Fabric.com as they seem to carry any sort of fabric needed. (going to their site to share the link, they say do to the virus orders will be slow to get out and they are limited on fabrics-so will see how that search goes)


Here is another look at the tractor chair seats. We have had these a long time too, The ones that still have the brand names on them are quite expensive now These pop up at farm sales still.


So this is my project if the weather cooperates with no wind this week. We are to be in the 80's F both Tuesday and Wednesday before we crash back down to the 50's F

  While burning leaves-I do a small amount at a time so I don't have a huge fire, gave me the chance to sit a bit. I am loving all the wild violets and dandelions in my yard here at the lake-I love those spring flowers-and they both make into wonderful healing balms. I have also made in the past violet sugar, and sugared violet flowers-fun.


now that I look at these photo above and  below-this is something else and not violets I do have the wild violets too



The wisteria has more blooms now and behind this area the redbud trees are blooming. This home has two lilac bushes which I am thrilled over. Looking forward to their blooms



  I also discovered, up on top by the driveway edge, I have 4 mullein herb plants coming up-when full grown they look like a horrible weed-but the leaves dried for tea have been used for years for asthma and respiratory so I want to keep at least one plant.  here is a photo I found online.  These plants can get quite tall-I have three growing close together-I think I will dig up two and save one plant. The forth one is in a different area.
   I have not found plantain here yet-that is an excellent healing herb (weed) as well.

Materia Medica: Mullein — Société

   Over the weekends I have been making us comfort foods-Larry more than me is a people person so this has been difficult for him not going off our property here at the lake, or having friends over.  When we were moving over one of our deep freezers last year,  I had found a 6 pound pork loin roast that I had bought to roast for deer camp  Our Wisconsin friends always bring down so much food we didn't need it. So thought perfect meal to get use up this meat.
   So I roasted that in the oven as it was too cold and windy to make it outdoors over a fire.
   I don't usually cook something this large any more-but was really happy with the results. Half way through I cut it in half for faster cooking.  I now have 6 more meals for us in the freezer from this roast.
    I dug out my large mortar and pestle and added sage, rosemary, thyme, garlic cloves, black pepper, and olive oil  for the top rub-yum.





  I tried another new tea from my purchase this past week. I am really enjoying all of these tea blends so far   Love their combinations of ingredients



Along with more of this coffee during the week, which I am really enjoying this brand


  I will be later than usual visiting, as I need to leave really early to go food shopping   The Wal Mart Senior hours are on Tuesdays from 6 am to 7 am-yikes I will need to get up around 5 am to leave the house around 5:30 am.  When I went shopping two weeks ago this store was not set up for covid-now it is according to their website. So will be a new adventure I guess.

Stay safe everyone, Happy T wishes. The world will conquer this virus Thanks go to all the hard working people from the President and his team, our military that is now organizing the supply chain, and all the numerous medical staff, and the list goes on-so thankful for everyone working against this pandemic

   Oh  I also want to share that Larry caught several of these fish while I was burning leaves-he threw them all back in the water.



45 comments:

  1. LOVE your chairs and tables, what treasures, glad your hubby can refurbish them. How fun to be able to fish from the deck. Your food looks delicious, as does your tea and coffee. Happy T Day, stay safe and well, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valerie-I am really exciting about getting these pieces finished up and used-Yes it is good for Larry's mental health to be able to go in the "backyard" and fish-hugs

      Delete
  2. You made me laugh with joy about the chair story, so cute! Awww....
    Yes, Hubby bought fabrics, too. Meanwhile - as only one person is allowed to get in - I went to ALDI. Then Lidl, and he was still not done as everybody buys fabrics to sew masks, as we don´t get any otherwise.
    T-Shirt weather here, too, yay!
    Hmmm, that tea must be yummy indeed!
    A happy T-day to you... sadly no fish-peron here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iris, I can't believe it took all these years to tell me about it-but I love the set even more now. This is really a lovely tea-love the strawberries and rose petals in this one- Larry doesn't eat much fish either but he loves to catch them-I love fish though and could eat it every week-hugs

      Delete
  3. The table and chairs set looks great. It's good that your husband knows how to do metal work, to be able to replace the table top. It's nice to see the Spring growth of the plants around your house. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, yes the blooms are a welcome sight right now-I thought this was really too how he made the table tops so we didn't have to order all this glass-

      Delete
  4. You are the hardest worker I know! You always get so much done in a week. Burning leaves takes me back to my childhood memories. The aromas were everywhere. But except for a fire pit and chiminea open fires are no longer permitted. The Pinelands are a tinder box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those table and chairs will look awesome on your deck area, I did like reading your post and your husband being able to restore them is a real gift and talent.
    The meat joint you cooked looks delicious and good that you now have meals planned and in the freezer. I like to do this as well.
    I hope your shopping trip went well, its the same here with early hours for seniors to shop, I'd never make it,I don't drive and husband is to poorly, so am pleased our sons can help.
    Stay safe and well
    Happy T day, Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yvonne, I am so happy your sons can help you both. I don't like to drive but I do drive to get groceries and do errands. I am excited about getting these pieces finished-I did find the primer I needed too

      Delete
  6. Love those tables and seats- a great outdoor project! Please share when you finish them:) So nice to see spring and blooms all over again. Good luck with your early bird shopping and happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, my shopping trip went well-thanks, I hope to start priming them if it is not too windy tomorrow

      Delete
  7. Wow, those metal table and chairs are lovely! All in the same style. I really like those old tractor seats. I bet they are comfy too. I hope you can get paint. In our big stores the non-food stuff is cordoned off. Not allowed, only food and cleaning stuff.
    Oh that meat really looks delish!
    5:30 is very early. In fact for me that would be 'middle of the night'! Good thing they don't have senior hours here. I hope your trip goes well and that you are able to get everything you want/need.
    Happy T-Day and
    Take care,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisca, this ended up be too early for me as I don't drive in total darkness any more, especially since this is a new area for me. I waited til just before sunrise when I could see things good enough. It worked out well-otherwise I would have had to wait in line as they are not letting very many people inside the store at one time.
      wow that would be a bummer-we can buy anything that is in the store-limits of one of many items.
      Happy T

      Delete
  8. Awesome iron pieces! quite the project, but it'll be well worth the effort. Both pork and tea look yummy ~ the purple flower I believe is Vinca. Love all the bloom pics and even the catch and release ~Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you much yes as soon as I saw vinca-that's it!-funny that I got photos of those when the whole yard is full of wild violets haha.

      Delete
  9. The chairs are going to look spectacular on your deck. I enjoyed the look around your yard. We can burn brush from Jan. 1 to Apr. 30, but we can’t burn leaves. The flower picture below the violets, the light purple with 5 petals and green leaves is a ground cover called Vinca or Periwinkle. It can be invasive. I love cooking large amounts so I don’t have to cook for a few days. That roast looks so good. Larry’s fish is quite pretty with the iridescent green and lavender colors. At least that’s what it looks like on my monitor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CJ yes this was a beautiful fish-with those colors. He actually caught several of these and just threw them back in. if would have gotten a bass or a catfish he better bring that one in to eat haha I love fish-he just likes catching them.
      thank you about the name of the flowers-I remembered that as soon as I saw vinca

      Delete
  10. I really love your table and chairs and the story behind them, they wear much better than wood as we’ve found.
    Aren’t the fish edible? Steve would have put them straight in the pan!
    The meat looks delicious, we love pork with apple sauce, scrummy.
    Happy T day, Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you-Yes the fish are edible and he caught several of them but just threw back in the water. He loves to go fishing but only enjoys cleaning and eating the larger ones-bass or catfish are in this lake too.
      this pork roast did turn out really good. I love applesauce with pork too

      Delete
  11. You have some wonderful old outdoor furniture. I love your husband's back story on the set from Mexico. That's a keeper. My friend Scott's grandfather used to make those tractor seats. Scott got two of them when he died. That looks like a big project, though. If you can't find metal primer at WalMart, you might see if there's an automotive supply place in the town you're going. If it's open, I am sure they would have it. Of course, you may not read this till after you get home from shopping.

    Your tea looks lovely. I'm not a fan of strawberries, but I love rose petals in tea. It looks lovely, if nothing else. The coffee looks good, too, but you know I need my caffeine. Thanks for sharing your week and your tea and coffee with us for T this Tuesday, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wal mart had engine primer too and I was able to get some primer-in spray cans though was hoping for a can of it instead-but will work.
      yep Larry loves his caffeine too and drinks a whole pot full each morning.

      Delete
  12. Your weather always sounds similar to ours :) Those pieces will be perfect for your place, won't they! As I think on it, they'd be perfect here, too :) All your sweet spring wildflowers :) I love dandelion and other wildflowers, even though some think of them as weeds. I enjoy a pork roast, and they freeze well. Yours is prettier than mine turn out. I like that stoneware mug. It looks like ones I see at the local craft fair. I'm not getting up early for grocery shopping, and stores here haven't been crowded -or at least weren't when I went a week ago. I hope you get what you need and that there aren't too many people there.

    I hadn't heard the military was organizing the supply chain. Googling... I'm still not seeing anything. Can you tell me where that's covered so I can read it. Thanks!

    Happy T Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I have been looking around too online. I watch every update around 4:30pm every day the President gives along with listening to the different people that are working on this virus--I know Trump decided to have fema coordinate everything here at home like they would a disaster someplace else. that has made things run smoother. He has had allot of military people that are part of the team and speak at this meetings.
      I knew Schumer sent Trump a long letter about how he needed a military man to handle the supplies and Trump already had done that--so I found the name of that person and a quote--- Navy Admiral Polowczyk said last week that his role is to "increase the throughput to the healthcare market", implying that the military would boost but not try to reinvent the existing supply-chain logic established by the private sector.

      Polowczyk emphasised the logistics tool that the Department of Defense uses to find pockets of personal protective equipment (PPE) down to the county level. He also cited the success of the "air bridge" flights that bring massive amounts of medical supplies directly to the US from China in a process that usually takes 37 days.
      The military is putting up hospitals, referbushing buildings into hospitals. when a state calls theirs a disaster the national guard is called up to help with moving supplies etc.
      I know people love bashing the President but I feel he is on it-
      He is constantly schooling many of the press about State's rights that the federal government helps the states-but each state handles their own state and that is how it should be per the constitution-from many of their questions they don't seem to know that is how our Republic works.
      Vp Pence calls up the governors every day to check on them and see what they need.
      This whole team is working 24/7 for how many weeks now? I give them all my support as an American-not as a conservative republican

      Delete
    2. here is a link on what fema is doing https://www.fema.gov/fema-supply-chain-stabilization-task-force

      Delete
    3. just found this https://nypost.com/2020/04/07/coronavirus-task-force-unit-working-from-home-after-positive-test/

      Delete
    4. Ah, I see what you're saying. Thanks for explaining where you got the idea that "our military ... is now organizing the supply chain". I haven't even seen that claim from Trump supporters on FB. Interesting.

      Delete
  13. I wrote this post early this morning and thought I had published it. Sadly, I fell asleep at my computer chair and now it's a very old post. My bad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, your table and chairs are gorgeous! They will be perfect on your veranda 😀. Glad you hubby is feeling better and having fun welding, the fishing must be so relaxing on the lake too! Hope you got the paint and fabric that you wanted. We went food shopping this morning for us, my mum and dad who are self-isolating and also my sister who just can't get things she needs as she's working full time; we managed to get everything in one store but wow, it was hard work shopping for 3 people ...lol 😉. I'm so glad to be sat down with a cuppa now! I'm loving your roast and those delicious looking teas too! Sending you Happy T Day wishes! Stay safe and well! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow that is allot of hard work shopping for three families-I know they are all so grateful for you too. Yes he really enjoyed fishing-got him out of the seclusion of the house for a bit. he plans to take the boat out tomorrow morning. I am excited about these tables and chairs too-hope to work on them tomorrow. hugs

      Delete
  15. Larry knows how to weld Kathy? Wow, is there anything you two can't DIY or make from scratch!? How fun to learn that family story about the Mexican iron furniture.

    I always loved lilacs too and how they smelled in bloom. They don't grow here in our part of Mexico. I never heard of mullein and or plantain herb. The pork loin looks delicious!

    Wishing you a healthy and happy T-Day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, Larry does have many many skills-mostly self taught. i really loved knowing the back story about this set too-amazing just now learning about this haha.
      mullein looks like a very invasive weed-but it does have a big stalk on top of pretty flowers. the plantain-there a couple varities-grows in most lawns our friend Lilburn that just passed last year taught me allot about different herbs in the woods area-his Mom was native american. Happy T

      Delete
  16. Happy T day Kathy. I hope you had your warm weather again so your flowers could continue to grow. And your pork looks yummy. Maybe I shall get one for Easter when I go to the grocery store this week. I hope you had a great day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the vintage table and chairs. Love, love, love that kind of stuff. Very, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The table and chairs have beautiful lattice work. They will look great outside.

    Your pork loin looks delicious! I love that you created your own herb rub. It is making my mouth water.

    That tea sounds yummy!

    Happy Belated Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for the card! That was a nice surprise! I wish I could drink coffee because yours always looks so good. I hope you find someone to cut your grass. I already mowed part of our lawn-even though it's cold here-it grew like crazy. Stay safe and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love these shots of nature! And that coffee does look good. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  21. I popped by to see if you had any news posts, but you didn't, so I'm leaving another comment.

    As an FYI, the Government in Connecticut seems to think they can just unilaterally negate the need for us to have a Primary, now that Bernie Sanders dropped out. Can you imagine the reaction if Trump tried to do something like that? But it's all good here, because Democrats run the state Government. As I think I've commented to you before, my opinion doesn't change 180 degrees based on which political party is in charge. I view the actions of politicians in both parties with the same eye.

    Anyway, now all of the "vote blue no matter who" chanters will have Biden to vote for, in November. Maybe Connecticut will announce we're not having the Presidential election this year, and they'll just give our electoral college votes to Biden, because, after all, 95% of the time Connecticut votes for the Democrat for President.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, I am glad you stopped by for a visit. I just learned today that Sanders dropped out of the race but I then I read somewhere that he is still keeping his delegates don't know why unless it is for a bargainning chip of some sort.
      I was hoping to have gotten allot of my furniture painted-and not going so well. I did a few chairs and the small tables primed-but when the hammered look spray paint I bought after shaking if for over 5 minutes-is not coming out of the can right-its even a different color than it is suppose to be so very unhappy about that. Larry had a small can of professional grade rust oleum enamel which would have done the tables-I was moving myself out of the hot sun-and my paint can turned over spilling down the hill-ugh so unhappy about that-I went into our small hardware store and they don't sell it--so now I can't do anything until this virus stuff ends and I go into a big box store-very aggravated to say the least haha. we had two days of mid 80s and now we are in the 50s which has set off my allergies and asthma again--I think its time to grab a book haha

      Delete
  22. Wowww Kathy, That old table is beautiful, and the chair too, I love them, and they will look great when restored, a beautiful vintage touch.
    Good fishing, and good food! I love the flowers and the photos you have shared, thank you very much.
    That coffee has to be very delicious, I hope you will have a good T-.day.
    Take good care and stay safe.
    big hugs, Caty

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your garden furniture is going to look great painted - hope you found some! What a great history they have!That is very early to go shopping - some of ours open at 7 or 8 for seniors but so far we have been lucky enough not to have to go ourselves! The tractor seats made me smile as I used to sit on one like those to drive the tractor to help move soil on the nursery my Dad worked at(complete lack of health and safety rules in those days!!) The plant life around looks great and is something to look forward to as well! Your pork looks delicious and you certainly have some good tea and coffee to see you through! Belated greetings for T day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, Yes I thought 6 am was a bit early too. I used to drive my Grandpa's old Ford tractor on his farm-it was fun. So glad you dropped by-hugs and Happy Easter Kathy

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit