Monday, February 3, 2020

T Stands for Tuesday & Congratulations to the KC Chiefs & Spun Yarn & a Question

  Hi everyone, it's a gorgeous day here on the lake-close to 70 degrees f with sunshine and a bit windy too.  I got out of the house early this morning and stocked up on fresh veggies and fruits as winter comes back tomorrow and the rest of the week. After our 2 pm meal I am going to take a walk around the lake today.

  I am linking up with T Stands for Tuesday with our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth-find the link on my sidebar. Only requirement to join us is to share your drink related photo.

  Do you like to get a sweatshirt or t shirt with your favorite sports team?  I love to do that-I have  Blues (hockey) and Royals (baseball) sweatshirts and couch blankets (which I make) and I have lots of Green Bay Packers sweatshirts as I have been a fan of theirs since I went to college in northern Wisconsin in '67 (the first super bowl) I have moved around a bit over the years since then and follow the local team as well-I was a huge Bronco fan when I lived in Colorado for a few years and during one of their super bowl wins.
   So I have been thinking of getting a KC Chiefs sweatshirt over the last few years but I don't like the bright red-I am not a red person lol  I did want to find something before the big super bowl game though so I went online and found one I liked that was rather vintage on ebay-this color red I could live with, I think the owner said this was from the 90s and it fits me perfect-this is an attempt of a selfie without my face 😀


  I decided to pick up some shrimp and found the local store was still carrying those USA wild caught shrimps that I bought for New Years eve- perfect for Super Bowl Sunday-although Larry does not watch any sports, he does enjoy the shrimp
     I love to watch sports & am waiting for the Olympics to begin



I made a large fresh salad and also a cabbage slaw to go with & we had the cherry cheesecake left over for dessert. Last time I undercooked them just a tad so this time they were perfect.

  I have to admit that I was getting nervous about the KC Chiefs by the first part of the 4th quarter-and this year's commercials for the most part were really bad-so I recorded the last of the game and watched a movie haha. I needed to get myself calmed down a bit and not so anxious .
   I went back to watch the game zipping over the commercials. Awesome win-so happy for the team and especially for their great coach Andy Reid.
  I turned the game on 30 minutes before it started and really enjoyed the tribute to past players-I recognized many of them including Brett Favre. and I really enjoyed the video bringing the game ball into the stadium-I have watched that several times now-the NFL was also celebrating 100 years-and this was honoring the next generation with children.

Over the past week I have been spinning while watching tv. I had started spinning this blue on my spinning wheels probably about 3 years ago-I enjoyed spinning this more on my drop spindle and it turned out much nicer-I am a spinner that enjoys the process but will probably never get super good at it-but that's ok

Note: all photos will enlarge just click on them

  The last of it that I finished spinning


Previous spun on spinning wheels-and some of this has been plyed with two of the yarns


  I am glad I did not purchase anymore of this as it feels like in her dye process she felted the wool but at least I can see that my spinning has improved over the years. This might weave up into some comfy pillows.


I also dug out another bag of wool roving that is the breed corriodale I am pleased with these results as well


I have quite allot of this to spin up. When I reorganized all of my wool bags to spin-I wanted to get these two finished up-Next up may be the Yellowstone  colors inspired fibers to spin up and then I have lots of wools that need carding first before spun I did get all the raw wool washed and dried before bringing it to the lake house.



For my beverage share this week-I have started making up and drinking fresh lemon and ginger water. I really like it and hopes it improves my digestion
  There are allot of different recipes for this but I found a simple one I like:

Wash the outside of the lemons (I spray vinegar and hydrogen peroxide-let sit a couple minutes and rinse well-gets rid of ecoli etc)  peel and slice up about an inch long piece of ginger


Bring 2 1/2 cups of water to a boil-turn off the heat add the lemon and ginger cover with lid


 time for 30 minutes


Strain and enjoy-can add a sweetener if you like. This makes enough for two glasses to drink during the day. I do then fill this jar up with the lemon and ginger and water and place in the frig to enjoy one more day. Not as strong, but I wanted to get one more day from the ingredients


  I do have a question about making one's own molding paste. I think it was Caty that shared a recipe last week-thank you-and I found another similiar one online. I bought my ingredients but I can't find just regular talc. I did buy some baby powder but reading the ingredients again there is no talc in it but cornstarch instead. So my question is will this still work with the cornstarch instead of the talc??

   Have an awesome new week everyone and Happy T

20 comments:

  1. Seems as always you are staying busy Kathy. Glad you enjoyed the ball game, I gave up at the half but didn’t really care who won so that was fine. I know the halftime show had a lot of meaning built into it, but it wasn’t my type of music or dancing so unfortunately I didn’t enjoy that very much this year. I don’t have any input concerning your question about talc and corn starch, but we have cornstarch in ur kitchen that’s basically just used for thickening here, so good luck with making the molding paste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy, glad you enjoyed your sport. The shrimps look yummy, too. Love the wool you are spinning especially the beautiful blue. Your lemon and ginger water sounds good. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a good superbowl Sunday. And a big win. Congrats. I though KC wasn't going to pull through but they did. That shrimp looks yummy for sure. Hope you have a super T day Kathy. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess you know my take on sports:) The food sounds quite yummy though- love shrimp! I have a lemon/ginger tea that I enjoy. Thanks for your water recipe, and happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, I thought the Chiefs were done at the start of the 4th quarter. I went to the toilet and heard my friend Scott yell loudly. That was when everything turned around. I was SO proud of those guys. Was thrilled for them, too. You found a great sweatshirt, too.

    Your lemon and ginger drink sounds wonderful. I LOVE lemon and can drink lemon water all day long, This sounds even better, though. Wonderful idea for a drink on a cold night like tonight. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us for T this almost Tuesday.

    I have several posts I need you to read on molding paste:

    https://alteredbooklover.blogspot.com/2019/02/powder-your-tiot-guest-designer-post.html

    Scroll down a few photos and see that I got MY baby powder at the Dollar Tree. It has talc and a recipe for making it.

    The second one shows two ways to make molding paste, once using talc, one using baking soda:

    http://alteredbooklover.blogspot.com/2015/02/yet-another-prep-day.html

    The reason I showed the first link was so you could see you can mix these to be the amount you need, as long as you keep the proportions the same. Hope this helps, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been a sports fan but I'm always happy when the underdog is victorious. Love those blues you have spun up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You might be lucky not having been a fan of the Braunschweig Lions in the late 90´s.
    One season I nearly fell off the seat. From red-white they went to... screaming orange, they looked like the garbage men, LOL.
    Yet I got a rainjacket and you sure saw where I was in grey weather.
    So... red ain´t that bad after all, huh?

    Oh? I thought super bowl ads are "the best"?
    Sadly nothing to record anything here, so I only saw bits in our news (but! They are in our news, baby steps, but steps!)

    Hm, thank you for the receipe, will try this! A happy T-day to you! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. 70s? Wow. We got up to 50 in Connecticut yesterday, but with the wind chill, it felt more like 40. I like your sweatshirt. I watched the whole Super Bowl, and was very concerned by the fourth quarter. I was rooting for KC and Mahomes, but I thought it was all over. I almost turned off the TV, but I decided to stick it out until the end. I'm glad I did. Your food looks delicious. I like that blue color yarn. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll bet yesterday was a beautiful day there for walking around the lake. We're having weather similar to yours with highs at 70 and sunshine. The rain returned today. Congrats on your Chiefs sweatshirt! What a great find! I'll join you in looking forward to the Olympics. I'm already seeing stories about it. Your lemon drink looks good :) Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You mentioned talc, and immediately my alarm system in my brain went off. I remember reading that talc can cause cancer. That's why they took it out of many powders. Now cornstarch is used. I jumped right into commenting before double checking this info, so I'm going to google it and get back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like it's inconclusive-mostly an inhaling danger if there is asbestos in the talc. I looked at the American Cancer link. I know there is talc in air-dry clay. I guess I would be cautious of using it. Just to be safe. especially if you don't know if it's free of asbestos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have lots of clothing from sports teams, our family always like to buy clothing from their favourite teams, with our son living in San Francisco, they are all fans of the warriors and 49ers!! one son is Washington Redskins fan too , we also have tops from our local football team and Uk ones!
    The prawns/shrimp looks good, steve loves those giant ones but I prefer the smaller ones, they look delicious.
    Hope the weather doesn’t get too cold for our walks around the lake, it must be so beautiful.
    Take care, jan x

    ReplyDelete
  13. The super bowl was amazing this year, so exciting and I was rooting for the Kansas Chiefs too - yay! The shrimp looks yummy and you tee is fabulous too 😁. I'm loving your yarn, it will make such comfy cosy pillows and your drink looks so refreshing 😁. Happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so impressed with your spinning. I knit quite a bit and when I see hand spun yarn I start dreaming up knitting patterns. We had shrimp recently too. I cooked it in a roasted tomato sauce and served it on polenta. It was really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not a big sports fan, but Himself is. I'll wander in and out, check on the progress. Your shrimp look delicious and I like your selfie and new team jersey. The colors of the yarn are so pretty and the yarn looks very soft. Your house must have smelled extra delicious with the lemon-ginger water simmering on the stove. Cute timer. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on the Chief's winning the super bowl.I know it was a big thing in the US. I like the red shirt. I agree, that is a nice color red.
    I am impressed with your spinning. I love that blue. Can you use it for knitting?
    As to talc, I don't think they sell it anymore. Something to do with cancer risk I think.
    Happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love you purchased a vintage sweatshirt! Congrats to you and your team! I didn't watch but I was pulling for KC. Super cool spinning - I am soooo impressed with that and your drink. I don't know the first thing about talc other than you have to be careful. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I gave you a link to an article comparing DIY modeling paste recipes, Kathy (https://theartfulcrafter.com/blog/modeling-paste-recipes-compared.html). The 2nd recipe ues baby powder (not talc); but if you use that, I would use a stronger clear-drying glue, such as Liquitex or Golden gel medium.

    Funny, I don't enjoy sports, but I really enjoyed reading your story. The shrimp looks delicious and your yarn is beautiful!

    Happy T-day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ginger, Lemon, Garlic, And Tarmac Are My Go To Cure All Concoction - Righteous Photos - And Yes, Quite The Entertaining Super Bowl - Tied At The Half - Come Back In The 4th - Way Cool

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your sweatshirt! I was still up at midnight When the Superbowl is shown live here - but didn't stay any longer to watch than the very start! I remember sitting up with my son years ago to watch when the Dallas Cowboys played! Your drink must be tasty! I love the blue you are using! A very belated Happy T Day Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit