Wednesday, February 12, 2020

A Cold Wintry Wednesday & Another Heart Journal Entry & Spinning & Reflections on the Lake

  Good morning Wednesday,
    It is snowy with sleet this morning and frigid temps on the way for a few evenings before it warms back up again.
   Yesterday I did finish spinning up that yarn I showed you, and couldn't wait to see what the hand painted-dyed-roving would look like spun.  I am working on getting this spun finer that I have been.
  This is Polworth breed wool from Australia blended with silk. I was purchasing allot of different fibers from different breeds a few years ago just to see the differences-and to have fun spinning. This one says if you don't spin the fiber too tight it will loft back up and make your garment etc warmer. and my fiber did exactly that-I had gotten it pretty fine and then it puffed up-so soft.

Note: all photos will enlarge for better viewing-just click on them



As I spin this-I "tear" off narrow pieces from top to bottom of the roving-so I will work on remembering to always start spinning the brown top first. When I tear off a piece I then draft out-pull gently on the fibers to make it even and finer-its the way I taught myself to spin. Experienced spinners would take this whole piece and spin off a fine yarn from it-not me 😀

   I am getting a sore neck from too many long hours of spinning-I know not to do this-but when having fun---so this morning I wanted to create another page for Elizabeth's Heart theme over on AJJ

  I have a small box of dried tea bags that I save mostly from the herb teas that give pretty colors and patterns to the bags-so I grabbed several and stamped one.

   On the journal page I grabbed a pink crayola marker and rubbed it around to cover the page-I was surprised how little ink was in this-when I realized it was running out I made sure all the edges were done first. When I ran out I grabbed a pearl pink crayola crayon to finish.
    I then grabbed a square fabric with hearts on it that Mia had sent me in fun mail last year and cut out a large heart and then tacked it down to the left on the page.
   I then glued down tea bags all over the page, the one I had stamped was too much for this page so will save that one for another page.
   I also repurposed the card that Mia had sent me and cut around it and if you look close you will see a few hearts. I grabbed the pearl pink crayon to soften the white background on the card.
   I grabbed the stamp and stamped on to the top of the tea bags, and also glued down a couple wooded hearts that was also in Mia's package

So I am dedicating this Hearts journal page to our friend Mia, who always shares happiness with her friends.


If you look closely you can see the hearts from the fabric showing through the tea bag


  A few hearts on the cut out from Mia's card


A stamped heart


this tea bag didn't make it on the page





   I am pleased with the results-didn't over do it, overlapped and layered and picked up the orange and pinks

Yesterday morning the reflections on the lake were so delightful to see





and I made gluten free brownies



Enjoy your day!

22 comments:

  1. Your AJJ piece was fun with all the teabags and your description of how you made it. Sounds like you enjoyed it too. That's a very sweet little heart stamp.
    The yarn you spun from the two coloured rovings is fabulous, I would love to incorporate that in a cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila, thank you so much-Yes I did have fun with this page-I am new with mixed media journals and am enjoying learning and creating quick fun pages
      I am really happy with this yarn too thanks

      Delete
  2. The spinning looks beautiful and it looks like you carried the same colors to your heart page. So pretty. Looks like another world reflected in the lake. Yummy brownies, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CJ Wow you are right about the colors-that did not even occur to me-had to take another look at the photos lol I just had to grabbed the camera when I saw all of those reflections-which doesn't happen often-

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful landscape is with you and your beautiful journal you have so imaginatively designed with the tea bags a great idea!
    Delicious your brownie. Spinning is also a nice hobby, a lot of fun and creative work.
    Greetings Elke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elke, we recently moved out of the woods and on to the lake-this will be our first summer here-thank you for visiting hugs

      Delete
  4. The colours of the yarn look gorgeous it is going to look and so soft and warm when you use it.
    I absolutely love the journal page you created for the Art Journal Journey theme, fabulous selection of mixed media additions and re-purposed pieces. The tea bag with the pretty heart stamp I'm sure you will be using soon.
    The photos with the reflections in the lake looked amazing, it looks so serene and peaceful .
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yvonne, that was my first thought this morning when I got up and looked a the lake-sooo peaceful and calm-the reflections were quite amazing.
      I am really exciting about spinning these Yellowstone colors-this one is so pretty, and will be very warm and soft.
      I had fun with the journal page-thanks

      Delete
  5. The roving is beautiful, and I love the combination of colors. Your lake shots are so peaceful in spite of the cold. Your journal is never ending for this Valentine month, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those two yarns spun together look really gorgeous. Nice color combos. And I love your latest journal page for AJJ. I love all the details you added and those happy T birds. You're really getting into this art journaling. And glad you linked it up to Elizabeth's theme at AJJ. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erika, this page came about pretty easy this time-I don't plan out pages before hand I just go for it lol I knew I wanted to use tea bags and some of Mia's gifts The roving I am spinning has been dyed with the different colors so it's one piece of fibers I am spinning

      Delete
  7. Wow, Kathy. What amazing and beautiful spun wool you have created. I enjoyed learning how you spun the roving, too.

    Lovely lake photos.. It looked almost other-worldly.

    Your journal page is lovely. I'm sure Mia is thrilled you devoted the page to her, and I like how you used her card to create your own. This is so sweet and absolutely perfect for my theme at Art Journal Journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning and thank you so much-I am really excited about this new yarn-finally getting it nicer spun-and just in time for these beautiful fibers.
      I need to send a note to Mia so she knows-I am glad you liked it

      Delete
  8. What did the poor teabag do to not make it to your beautiful page?
    He (in German at least it´s male) has a heart! From you!!!

    When I was young I knitted, so I understand a bit your love for spinning. To work with your hands... what will you do with the outcome?

    Oh, your lake, a beauty! To a great day :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha you are making me giggle this morning Iris. I am going to weave these pretty Yellowstone Park inspired colors into clothing of some sort. enjoy your day

      Delete
  9. Oh Kathy, I love that you like spinning! I am a little jealous, as I never tried this technique and I am sure it is fun!
    I love the photos from your lake house and I always like to see them.
    And your cake looks delicious.
    As for your gorgeous page, you make me feel VERY HAPPY, my dear friend, that you devoted it to me. I am glad to see that you use the fabric, the buttons and the card in such a great and creative way, and the additions of the tea bag and the stamp are simply amazing! Great inspiration, sweetie.
    Enjoy your day!!! I send you many kisses and A BIG HUG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that sweet bird tea party :) It's not nearly that cold here, and we're getting days of rain instead of snow. I always enjoy the photos of your views across the lake. So peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, thank you so much-next week we will be back with spring lol

      Delete
  11. Hey there, dear friend. I just checked my mail and found a card from you in my mailbox. I'm not sure if it came yesterday or Tuesday. I've been so busy, I have forgotten to eat, much less check my mail. I'm off to open it now and will share it on my next T Tuesday post. Thank you in advance, dear Kathy. I'm grateful for you and your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You created a wonderful, creative page, Kathy. The wool is great, love its color and shine.
    Thank you also sharing the beautiful photos xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE those fiber colors! And your art is so sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit