Monday, February 24, 2020

T Stands for Tuesday & a Busy Week

  Hello everyone, and welcome to another T day.
      We link up with our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth and share a post with a drink related photo.

   This past week seemed like a long one for me-not sure why. Some weeks feel that way.
   I have been spinning and have the polwarth-silk hand painted roving almost finished, I will finish it up today for sure. That unspin piece is the last of this one-the roving was 4 ounces total. I really love the colors and the fact that I finally got this one spun up a little finer.
   Next up is to get my loom put back together and finish threading so I can finally get this scarf woven off. February is almost over.


   I needed to go back to the courthouse near the woods home about our personal property taxes in Lebanon. The state of Missouri has a seperate personal tax which includes any vehicles, boats, motors, farm equipment etc.  Last year November when I paid the property taxes and asked about the personal tax the lady in the assessor's office gave me the wrong information-don't ya just love that when government does that haha  She told me whatever was at the lake house would go with Morgan county and whatever was still at the woods house would go with Laclede county.
    So when I went in to drop off my list of property uh no that is Not correct at all-All of your personal tax will go to Morgan county assessor. Ok so that meant next day drive to the Morgan county offices in Versailles which is where I food shop now.
   For some reason map quest gave me the right address but gave me the wrong directions as to where it was.  I had remembered a very old looking building that I had thought was the courthouse at the time and it was.
   Wonderful people to talk with, and I registered to vote as well. Larry will never be able to walk up those steep steps so the lady was really nice and told me I could have him fill out everything, sign it, and I can bring that in with his drivers license to get him registered to vote-I will do that this week. I didn't have my camera with so these photos are from online.

   I had the feeling that this had to be an 1800's building and it was.



This was built in 1889 more photos from postcards here

   If Larry managed to make it up those outdoor steps he never would have been able to walk up to the third floor. I am thankful I still can. The steps inside are very narrow and very steep. I love old buildings like this, full of character. Afterwards I did discover an elevator but it looked ancient as well-I would rather walk
  This is so different than the very modern huge courthouse in Lebanon, Mo for Laclede. I love that Versailles is a very old and rural town still. The land here is so different than back near the woods home-instead of rocky clay soils this area is all farmland-reminds me of where my Grandparents on the farm in Indiana lived surrounded by the Amish. so I feel like going back home in a way.

   One day last week our friends that have the log home, came up and needed to go to Versailles to visit Zimmerman's for parts for his bulldozer. I went along so I could see how to get there as I knew Zimmerman's also sells fresh veggies, fruits and bedding plants and more-they are Mennonite.
    So I was thrilled about the visit-I am not good at going by myself to find places-I most always get lost This is a very large farm with several greenhouses. They must have a cannery as well.
   This city also has a couple mennonite bulk food stores and also a butcher meat market-so I have more to explore this spring and summer.

    Saturday, we drove back near the woods home to attend a yearly charity jump in. The weather had warmed up for the day and the rain was postponed til Monday-a good thing. This is always fun to watch those that jump in the Niangua river.

Note: all photos will enlarge just click on them

  This year someone decided to create a banner



If you are on facebook here is a video that someone took I wasn't able to get close enough at the time to get one Sorry since this is someone else's video that was being shared I didn't know how to embed it here.
 
  https://www.facebook.com/CherryT55/videos/2552394348367133
 
    This group has grown to the next younger generation so we didn't know too many people except for the Native American family we have been friends with for the last 20 years or so. Everyone brings food to pass, and can bring donation items that are raffled off. They raised over $600.00 this year for a local charity that is a safe house for kids and teens that need one or help and a quiet place for their homework.

  The river was fast moving and cold brrrr this area was more shallow for the jump in.





Sunday morning-wow the views out the wall of windows was impressive. The lake was so still it looked like a sheet of glass. I took these photos from indoors so they turned out pretty good.





   We are in for allot of rain here. It started raining pretty steady around 11 pm last night (Sunday night)  through this morning (Monday). Is to continue on and off for the next couple of days. That river will be flooded for sure.

   That day I was in Lebanon I decided to visit Wal mart and Aldi and do some food shopping.  The wal mart I go to now is half the size and it does lack in allot of things. The meat counter is very small as well, so I need to check out the butcher shop soon as many must shop there for meat that don't raise their own.
   I couldn't resist picking up this cup-they had several to choose from, I liked the feel of this one. They also had many cold cups to choose from too.
   So this is my drink share. I brewed me up some decaf coffee and added whipped cream-love that for a treat.

  The design is different on each side




That's it for me this week-Happy T

Oh and with Barbara's suggestions in comments I decided to give my page an uplift. Blogger has images so I chose this one-more on the beach than a lake-but the other option was just water-and I thought this was prettier-thoughts??  thanks

35 comments:

  1. Nice post, Kathy, a little bit of everything. I love your roving, and the yarn from it is so beautiful. Your spinning is perfect, so much better than I could have ever done. Congratulations on perfecting that talent! Your lake photos are stunning. I want to try painting the 2nd one, might I? I had a thought about your blog name, it no longer seems to fit. Something with “Eagles” and “Lake” would be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea Barbara about changing my blog name-I may just do that thanks

      Delete
    2. Well that was scary-I went into edits and changed the name to Hummingbird Lake Studio-and it said my blog no longer existed. Yikes-so I changed everything back and just changed the background to the lake

      Delete
  2. That's government for you. No two people in the same office have the same answer to the same question. Beautiful architecture of the courthouse. Brrrr to those brave souls that take the plunge into the cold water. Beautiful pictures of your lake. I can't wait until we're out on the deck with you having coffee in the morning. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CJ I agree that's the government-lol I fell in love with this courthouse. I was cold with a thick sweatshirt and a lined jean jacket-I can't imagine going in that cold river. I am anxious to sit the deck as well-hugs

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed reading about your goings-on, and seeing the old courthouse. I also love old buildings. Even abandoned houses-they seem so full of memories. Your lake is so beautiful. Again-love that whipped cream!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am spoiling myself with whipped cream these days. I was always worried about my weight-well I still watch it-but I also allow whipped cream-smiles

      Delete
  4. Typical government, same here! They follow biblical principles - let your left hand not know what your right hand is doing! Love your spinning, wonderful colours. Glad you had a fun trip. The views from your windows are fabulous. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laurie, yes government never seems to know what it is doing-even in the same office-I could not resist the new mug hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've been spinning yarn like a house afire since you got your loom room set up near the kitchen. I think that it must be a very feng shui location for you. Laclede sounds like a lovely place for you to be right now.

    Happy T-day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I am mostly spinning on the couch while there is still enough light in there to work. My loom room off the kitchen is in a perfect spot off the kitchen-and is where my desk and computer are too.
      I like the sound of Laclede (county) but that is where the woods house is and now we are in Morgan county-confusing lol

      Delete
  7. This week is the Polar Bear plunge through the ice on a local lake here. Nope...no thanks! Love your spinning...gorgeous colors.
    Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy, people tell me my camera is my third hand. I never leave the house without it. Sometimes I don't even leave the porch and get some great shots. The only time I am caught off guard is when my batteries die and I didn't bring extras. Thankfully, there were some great photos of that courhouse on the internet you could snag. I would LOVE to see it. It reminds me a bit of the one in Carthage, MO. except the one in Carthage is made of Carthage stone, not brick.

    Lovely roving. Sadly that art is lost on me, but I assure you, it really looks lovely in photos.

    I also wouldn't go into that frigid lake. I love to swim and was a certified Red Cross lifeguard, but not in a cold lake. Braver souls prevailed.

    Lovely photos from your windows. Stunning shots.

    For the life of me, I can't understand why you would EVER want that mug (GRIN)!! It's fabulous and shows your pride in your team, too. Filled to the brim with whipped cream is even better.

    Thanks for sharing your woes at the government court house, your spinning, the cold lake shots, the lake itself, and your Chiefs mug with us for T this almost Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comments Elizabeth, I would not be jumping in that cold river either but it's fun to watch the others. Yep I just had to grab one of those mugs-smiles

      Delete
  9. Love your loom and the old courthouse ~ I plunged into an ice bath in a hot house in London once, and never felt so alive in my life I can't explain the rush! Beautiful lake photos & your new background is lovely ~ Have a nice week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi thanks for stopping by. I have heard that to go from a hot house to an a ice bath brrr

      Delete
  10. Your blog photo- YES!!! It actually distracted me at first- but then, it's me- obsessive beach/water lover:):) Must feel good to have your loom set up again.
    Love that 1800's courthouse building! Nice end to the post with a new mug and cuppa with cream. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, yes I will my happy when my loom is all set up and finished being threaded and ready to weave so I can do something else when finished. I love these old courthouses hugs

      Delete
  11. New design! I love it!!!!
    Lebanon? Tell more? Oh, that is a town, right? Taxes... don´t. I haven´t even started yet, I HATE doing that!

    Uh-oh, old elevators... I once got stuck in one. With a newly wed couple from France. It was in Cuba (which means "soon" is "forever"). Today I can laugh, but back then! And Hubby had no idea where I was, either.
    Yes, stairs, great when you can still do it!

    You get lost? I once wanted to walk home, took a different route and ended up at the railway station (some 40 minutes away from home) - I get ya.

    "Next younger generation"... oh, as FIL says. Get old or die, right? Let´s get old and watch the younger ones! 14C/57,2F water temps are no worries at that age :-) - I need 40C/140F.

    Oh, it´s a Football-mug, nice!
    Why don´t you take your lake as background?

    Happy T-day and hugs, Iris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris, that was my thought exactly not wanting to get stuck in an old elevator and AI don't use cell phones so that would be bad.
      Yes I always get lost but now I have gps that Hubs bought me when I went to Yellowstone a few years ago so that helps allot.
      I thought of putting my photo as background but don't know how to make a photo seamless.

      Delete
  12. I noticed your new blog background and I love it especially the colours, at first I thought it was a lake but now I'm at the bottom of the page I can see that it's the beach ...lol 😉. Sounds like a busy week, great that you got all your taxes sorted and what a beautiful old building your visited. The farm shop sounds fabulous too. What a great way to raise funds for a local charity, I bet that water was cold though - brrr! Wow, the lake does look like a mirror and your photos are so beautiful! Great mugs and Happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, blogger had a photo that was just water with waves but I loved the colors in this one better. It was a busy but good week-I may just play around with the settings for the body of my blog.
      I am looking forward to shopping for fresh fruits and veggies soon. Happy T hugs

      Delete
  13. You’ve had quite the week Kathy. What a pretty old courthouse. I can’t imagine they dont have a handicap entrance someplace. Times have sure changed when it comes to buildings. And I like your river jump in event. In my area they call it the penguin plunge and run into the ocean. And nice mug. It’s good way for you to celebrate that win at the beginning of the month happy T day. Hugs Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, the way this building was set up-I didn't notice any changes for entrance-like a ramp to get up the steps, and the elevator looked really old. This is a very rural community so they just go with it. the lady was very helpful with getting my husband registered to vote so he didn't have to come in. Jumping in the ocean would be really cold for sure, but fun off the beach. I am enjoying my new mug for sure-Happy T

      Delete
  14. It's strange that a government building that necessary to access for basic tasks isn't accessible :( That video looks like everyone had a blast lol Brrrr!!! But they're having so much fun :) The photos of your lake view showing the reflection in that still water are gorgeous! A cuppa something hot looking out over that deck is a peaceful thought :) Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you watched the video-it was a really good one. I was cold just sitting around the fire lol. Yes I am really looking forward to enjoying our deck once it gets warmer

      Delete
  15. I love old architecture too. Too bad you had to make the extra trip but sounds like you made it count! LOVE your yarn, it's beautiful! those are brave folks jumping in the river at this time of year, but sounds like a good cause and a fun time! happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Dianne, yes it was too cold for me but everyone had fun and the money went to a good cause.

      Delete
  16. The courthouse looks wonderful - and probably has quite a few stories from inside it's walls! I'm pleased you have some exploring to do in the Spring! The views of the lake are amazing- it looks cold though! I can't imagine what pleasure folk get by going into cold water - we have similar nutty folk here! Definitely not for me - the warm baths in Budapest are more my style! Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, I thought the same-the stories those old walls could tell us. Fun to watch but no jump in for me either haha. Happy T

      Delete
  17. I love the colors of the wool / silk you've spun. We have a personal property tax here in Connecticut too, in each town, plus a state income tax. And a sales tax, and etc. I love that old building, but from the description of the elevator, I'd take the stairs too. I think a CT town had one of those water jumps recently, too. There's one event somewhere on or close to January 1, so the one I read about recently was a surprise. January 1 or February 21, the water here is still brrrr cold! I love your new mug! Oh, and I like the new background for your blog. Happy belated T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, yes I think there are allot of charity events doing a jump in-some areas really cold brrrr. thank you this was my best spun yarn so far-I love the colors too

      Delete
  18. Kathy thank you for your visit yesterday, I’m late commenting, it was 6.30pm when we eventually arrived home, I’ve been unpacking this morning and shopping etc.
    I love all the photos, sounds a cold swim in the river, some people do those mad things in parts of England. on New Year’s Day here some go into the sea for charity, far too cold for me but they raise quite a lot of money!
    Beautiful old building but Steve wouldn’t manage all those stairs either, I’m still able to take the stairs, thank goodness as I hate lifts, ha,ha,
    Lovely photos from your house, I would never get much work done if I had those views
    Happy belated T day
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit