Monday, November 25, 2019

T Stands for Tuesday & This and That

This month of November is flying right by us.  It's Thanksgiving week already here in the States
   Tuesdays you are most welcome to join us with a drink related post, link up with our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth.

    We are enjoying gorgeous weather today-65 degrees f with no wind and full sunshine-same tomorrow-but by Thursday Wow highs in the low 30 degrees f with snow flurries and rain-ugh.
   I took advantage of the nice weather and went grocery shopping early this morning. We have been invited over to our friends with the big log home for Thanksgiving, but I still bought us a small turkey. Will be nice to cook it up with simple sides for us for the long weekend.  If I knew the weather was going to turn this bad I would have thought about declining the invite. It is good for us to get out of the house though-especially with Larry still recuperating.

   I did get the two long side panels finished with the embroidered fish. I decided not to do the sides facing into the table as they won't be seen and I think jeans will just rub on the embroidery when people are sitting at the table.
   I had a difficult time with this for some reason. Took the small fish out several times til I was half way pleased. and this is the first time I had difficulty sewing with embroidery threads that were not DNC threads. I have a big bag of colors that I have collected from resale shops and garage sales and put the unknown brand threads together in a different bag. This was Sullivan from China and it just sewed up with difficulty-tangling and knotting, the thread seemed to fluff up while stitching to the end of the thread-so stitches not consistent.
 
  Note my cup of decaf coffee in another one of my favorite hand thrown pottery cups


  As much as I wanted to be finished-I decided to sew one large fish to the 4 end panels This first one ready to embroider



and those of you that are on Facebook and love teabag art; This past year I have been enjoying seeing the art that is posted to this group. Some of the work is just amazing. 
     Some artists keep the tag attached and many also do not. Here is one of the entries from today and  here is a link to the group and this piece.

No photo description available.

This artist also makes art painting inside egg shells-amazing

Here is one with the tag left on

No photo description available.

I get inspired viewing this group's pages of tea bag art.

      I also wanted to share a quote I found in a magazine over the weekend. No author was given but I really love it and it struck a note for me--"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone"   That sounds like a theme for art to me as well.

     After reading this quote I felt better about branching Wayyyy out of my comfort zone to try calligraphy.   I am still waiting for two more books on the subject, extra black ink, and the graph paper notepad.  I had purchased this to practice with but when it arrived Saturday it was damaged-so just sent that back and waiting for replacement.
    In searching for a protractor or t square, or small ruler I ran into this rolling ruler that says it has everything. The reviews were all really good. I know nothing about any of these tools-so something new for me to figure.
   I also decided to get the next size down in pen size so I now I have two.  There was a really nice set of these of either 4 or 5 sizes but decided for now to just get two.



   This past year with the move, and Larry's medical I feel I am so out of snyc. Still so much to do for both properties, that I am at the point some days I just don't want to do anything but read books. 
   I am slowly getting refocused. Setting time slots for working on a house project,  and then another time slot for my art and crafts, sewing projects etc. It will get there.

We have now seen a pattern with some of the geese now. That area at the corner of the house to the left of our dock-where I shared photos last week and posted below-we have discovered there is a pair of mallard ducks and the group of 7 Canada geese that seem to bed down for the night in that spot. Pretty cool I love watching the geese and the other birds as well. They begin to move around just after daylight.
   On the left corner is the edge of the water-then up a bit is the grass lawn-they are spending the nights in this area(but not on the grass). You can also see some of the large slate rocks being more exposed now-they like to sit on that too-and facing the bank there are little holes in the slate where they find food.



    I couldn't get a good close up-but we are also seeing allot of pelicans flying by-these were swimming in the middle of the lake (click to enlarge photo to view them better)




I am leaving you with another cast iron crisp. Last week I made a crisp with fresh pears and one can of cherry pie filling made with no sugar.
Turned out really delicious.


Happy Thanksgiving to all of you that will be celebrating

and Happy T Everyone.

20 comments:

  1. A great post. I like to do tea bag stamping, I don't know if mine is considered art, though. :) Pelicans! Wow! How exciting to be able to see them right from your deck. I have to get my iron skillet out and try something. I think that every time you share something like this. You seem to be doing great, with all that has gone on this past year. Keep it up, it will get better.
    Just a note, form Elizabeth, she is having computer problems and will be by when she can get it up and running again. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't envy your weather, Kathy. The tea bag art pieces, especially the Norman Rothwell-style Thanksgiving one, are wonderful!!!

    I haven't started calligraphy yet, either. I had no idea so many other tools were required. Yikes!

    I hope you get your life back in sync soon. I know what's it's like not being there.

    Happy Thanksgiving and Happy T-day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wonderful to be living so near the water. Pelicans- how cool! Your crisp looks delicious. I need to break out my cast iron pan again...
    I tried calligraphy- just tried- but not my thing- nor do I have the patience for all the practice. good luck with yours- somehow I know you will do really, really well with this art. Happy T day and happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally understand why you are just getting your focus back. Your husband's surgery must have been quiet enough, never mind a huge move too. I like your fish and your crisp sure looks particulary yummy. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving and have a wonderful T day Kathy. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, especially when the weather is bad it´s good to get out, even better when friends are involved!
    Both helps to get better, I wish you all the best, we´ve been (wait! I need to knock on wood first (luckily our floor it is)) very good this year!

    The cup reminds me of the wild batik t-shirts we made in the early 80´s :-)
    I´m looking forward to see the fish! Hubby will only shorten my trousers. He promised me a dress once.. I start to doubt he can do it...
    Not that I could even do the trousers thing. We had a terrible teacher for sewing at school.

    What a cute tag! Can you send a stuffed turkey over here? One day I will try one, so un-German, sadly!

    Yes, that darn comfort zone. I´m trying to fight it, it´s very hard.

    You have a compass in a ruler? What for? Oh, calligraphy... soooo long ago!

    I understand my friend T now, when he speaks of moving to a lake when he retires - it is beautiful indeed.

    A happy T-Day and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No wonder you are out of focus just now, you have managed an eneormous amount of work and it's still not finished, so give yourself the time you need. The crisp you baked looks wonderful, lovely fishes, too. Love the pics of the water fowl on your lake. Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your temperatures are taking some big swings. It's nice that you were invited to Thanksgiving dinner, but I agree with you about being concerned about the snow in the forecast. I like your embroidered fish. I didn't realize some thread is better than others. How annoying to have thread that tangles up. Each time I read about your venturing out into calligraphy, it makes me miss not doing it anymore. It's nice that the small group of water fowl has somewhere to sleep nearby at night. We don't get Pelicans here in Connecticut. :-) Your crisp looks delicious. Happy T-Day and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely lake photos and to see the pelicans up close must be an amazing sight.
    I also liked you fish embroidery it is beautiful especially as you had trouble with the silks.
    Your bake looks and sounds delicious.
    I hope you get back into your routines, you have been so busy these past months, it all takes time to get things into place how we want them to be.
    I hope the coming months will be good for you and your husband.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m no longer on Facebook, but was one time only to take part in the tea bag art group. I have always loved everything others posted there, some of it is absolutely amazing how tiny! Your fish will be wonderful, good luck with calligraphy!! I can’t even write cursive that’s legible anymore with my aging hands, but you are younger. Have fun, and Happy Thanksgiving, loved your card!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought a mug at our local craft fair that's similar to the one in your photo. I've had it for years, and it's one of my favorites :) I looked at the photos at that Facebook group, and there are some talented artists there. The wildlife at your lake house is providing you with fun, I see. It's interesting to watch them and see what their habits are. Pelicans! That'd be exciting for me. Your cast iron crisp looks delicious. I can almost taste it :) Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We both had our iron skillets out this week to make dessert. I'll have to try a crisp next time. Lovely lake views. I need to see more of the tea bag art so I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, sounds like you've been busy! You fish embroidery is wonderful and isn't the T Bag art amazing 😁. Glad you've got your grocery shopping all done and that Crisp that you made looks so yummy, I would be happy to have a slice with my cuppa ...lol 😉. As always, such lovely views of the lake too! Wishing you a very happy T Day and a wonderful Thanksgiving! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  13. It’s always lovely to see the photos from the lake, it must be hard to get on with any work with such a view.
    The teabag art is lovely , I used to do some of the teabag folding with the tiny squares that are already printed, a bit fiddly for me so I gave up on it.
    Steve is boning a turkey and making home made stuffing, it’s called a turkey crown in the UK, we asked the butcher here and he had never heard of it, it’s always delicious and carves beautifully.
    Your desert looks delicious!
    Have a happy Thanksgiving
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  14. We had a bit of a warm up yesterday and today. Yesterday, I took down the birdfeeders and washed them out and left to dry. Today I put them up and filled them with seed. i also harvested some of the morning glory seeds. I've never heard of teabag art. The only teabag art I knew about was teabag folding. Actually, it's the paper envelope that is folded and made into patterns. Too fussy for me. So fun to watch your feathered neighbors especially with a cuppa and that delicious cherry crisp.Love the colors of your mug and the shape looks perfect to cup your hands around for warmth. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pears and cherry sounds like a delicious combination.YUM!
    I know what you mean about just wanting to sit and read some days. I feel the same way. I want to craft but some days the mental motivation is just not there. I hope you get the time to fit it back into your schedule.
    Looking forward to seeing how your calligraphy turns out.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  16. What fun to have the geese and ducks living nearby. I do hope that things are settling down with your husband and you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Looking forward to seeing your calligraphy masterpieces.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What can I say, other than I realize I'm very late visiting. You should NOT have shared that tea bag art, because I got lost in the beautiful entries people created.

    Your fish are coming along nicely. I have NO patience for any thing like that, but yours is simply stunning, dear. I love that mug, too.. I've always loved the blue that comes from these clay works.

    It's hard to get into a routine, especially when you are torn between two places of residence. It's easy in the beginning, because the big stuff goes first. Now you are down to the minutia and it takes time to decide what goes and where. I'm fighting the same type of problem, although just in one home.

    Your cast iron crisp looks beautiful. I bet it tasted good, too.

    Thanks for sharing your week, the pelicans and geese, the fish you are still working on, the crisp, your ideas about scheduling, and your mug of decaf with us for T this Tuesday, which is now Wednesday. And thank you again for the incredible card, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a privilege you can see geese and pelicans (!) from your deck.
    I'm sorry you had so much trouble with the embroidery. Sometimes it is better to get quality threads and pay a bit more. I have learnt that with lacemaking. It is a nightmare when the thread curls and winds itself up the wrong way.
    I totally understand yu when you say sometimes you just want to sit down and read. Well, I am at the stage where I actually sit down and read even though there is a lot to do. Life's too short. That job I have to do will still be there tomorrow. Of course it is not something to do every day, but sometimes it's just too much and you are fed up and tired and want to sit down and read. Let me tell you: it's Okay. You can give yourself permission to sit down.
    I love your blue mug by the way. It's a beauty!
    Happy T-Day (belated),
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  19. I forgot to say how much I enjoyed the tea-bag art. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How fabulous to have such wonderful views! I hope you get back into a proper routine after Christmas- at the moment we are all over the place as we are back and to up the motorway sorting out our caravan for our final day on the 20th December! I shall miss our views but we have plans to travel a bit! Your fish embroidery looks wonderful! I am reading more these days too - not worrying about thinking too much! Belated Happy T Day, hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit