Monday, November 4, 2019

T Stands for Tuesday & This and That

   It's T time again where we share a drink photo (anything you are drinking) and join in with a link up over at our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth.

  We have had up and down weather here, and Sunday it was a sunny and warmish fall day; perfect day for the grave site burial of our dear friend Lilburn and a potluck afterwards.
   I am reminded of how rural this area in Missouri is when we have gone to several funerals including this one. The family digs the grave before hand, the people attending fill it in after the preacher's words.
    The preacher wears blue jeans, and at one funeral we attended everyone was to bring their gun to shoot a send off after the burial. I feel like I am re living history down here sometimes. My husband and I always look at each other -"this would not be happening in northern Illinois where we were from" There are also still many family burial sites on personal farms-like in the past.
   The potluck was really nice and there was food I could eat (gluten free). There is a native american family that is related to Lilburn by marriage (and Lilburn's mother was full Osage) that brought two large venison roasts-soooo delicious, tasted like a beef roast. Allot of other meats, allot of sides, fresh fruit salad which was nice and of course allot of desserts, and choices of water, soda, and kool aid type drinks.
    I decided to bring pecan pie bars. as Lilburn's favorite pies were lemon meringue pie and pecan pie. I never made these bars before but Hub's tested one and said they tasted just like a pecan pie. I found a recipe at land of lakes.

This is a photo after I cut in one direction, and then I went back and cut small bars


    I haven't gotten back to the cushions-instead I discovered a quilt I had made three years ago that we use allot was coming apart at the seams-on the back. I had used precut 4 inch squares that I was gifted to make the backing. When I was finished I even told myself I didn't realize these were probably going to ravel even though the seams were inside the quilt.
     So I have been hand stitching them down to repair
    This is turning into quite the project as I hadn't noticed it was happening-and one section I think may have gotten caught in my washing machine. This was an every day quilt that we have used allot so hoping it will go through more washings after repaired.


We had a gorgeous sunrise this morning I even have Larry looking for them now, and he spotted it first. There were also allot of low to the lake flying geese, sea gulls and ducks.

This is looking to the right on the deck towards the neighbors dock




There were so many oranges and purples that it reflected on to the lake This pair of ducks were swimming very fast across the lake



For my drink share, this week I have been enjoying coffee and teas in the morning and during the cooler days

  I really love the pour over coffee-easy clean up with filter too, and remember when this was the size of our coffee cups? I actually enjoy this size cup better than a big mug.


I brought out one my favorite tea pots and a cup-this tea was gifted to me a few years ago from our friends in Pennsylvania (state in usa) and I just uncovered it in the move-lol  This was a really nice flavor combination


and I just picked this one up. I really like this tea, doesn't remind me of pumpkins really, but has those fall baking spices.
  Those of you that save tea bags for art-Stash is really nice-the bags are folded and sealed hard with a machine, and the tag is sewn on-so easy to clip the string, and the whole tea bag opens up flat to one piece


   I will be gone in the morning on Tuesday as I have errands to run at the woods home area, so if don't stop my tonight I will visit later on Tuesday

Happy November and T everyone.

16 comments:

  1. I enjoy your description of your area in rural Missouri, Kathy. I can only picture movies I've seen, but yes, a piece of history. I love when people hang on to old traditions, like here in my area of Mexico.

    Gorgeous sunrise!

    Happy T-day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that funeral sounds very different from any I have been too. But it certainly has character. And wow, those lake views are really beautiful. What a treat you get from being on the lake. I wonder if I would like the pumpkin tea? Happy T day Kathy. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy that funeral sounds lovely and very personal, many in England are very impersonal nowadays I feel.
    Your. Jews are so stunning, no wonder you and your hubby are always taking photos, so would I, you will never get tired of that I’m sure. Your traybake looks delicious!
    Have a great week, jan x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Kathy. That pumpkin tea sounds wonderful, and that blue teapot from Pennsylvania is beautiful. Those are beautiful sunrise photos. I have one over the lake from mom & dad's home on Beaver Lake Arkansas. It was Christmas morning, and I had it framed. Have a lovely T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad to learn of funerals - I never heard the family is digging the grave, though!
    And blue jeans?! Weapons?
    Isn´t it crazy how we really can enjoy a meal after that. Part of healing, I guess.
    Quilts are rather unknown here, too. Sad, actually.
    Beautiful picture of the lake again. Ohhh, the coffee looks like trouble to me - 90% I accidentially would knock that over!
    Hmm, great idea to use the tea bags for art!
    Happy errands-T-Day, hugs from here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine a burial like that over here, that would cause a riot! Glad you enjoyed the food, too. You live at such a lovely place, wonderful views. Enjoy your coffee and tea, and that pie you made looks fabulous. Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. An interesting post Kathy the old traditions must be good for the families and friends of the loved ones they say good bye to.
    Your photos and views of the lake looked beautiful.
    I liked the sound of spiced pumpkin tea and your bakes looked delicious.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The funeral is much different from the ones I'm used to. Having said that, I've been to one on a farm. Granted, the hole was dug in the traditional sense with a back hoe and the service was actually held at the church, but my friend Scott's dad was buried on their beautiful farm. I've shown T Tuesday photos of their place when I was there for various holidays before. So I can see how that would translate to Lilburn's funeral.

    Your pecan bars look wonderful. I bet they tasted good, too. Sounds like a real feast.

    I have some cups with saucers that are about that cup size, but I much prefer my 32 oz mug. Don't have to refill every three sips (grin).

    Your teapot looks wonderful and the loose leaf tea looks great. However, you suggested SACRILEGE when you said to CUT the string on the tea bag. True tea bag artists would NEVER do that. It's like cutting off your right arm!!! OK,exaggeration, but we have our standards, too (grin).

    Thanks for sharing your funeral, your week, your coffee, your loose leaf tea, and your Stash tea with us for T this Tuesday, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for your Loss💔 You've mentioned this friend often and I know he was special to you. I always smiled when I saw his name as it reminds me of my dad and uncle. Wayburn (dad) and Wilburn (uncle) good old southern names that you don't hear much anymore.
    Your photos of the lake are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry for your Loss💔 You've mentioned this friend often and I know he was special to you. I always smiled when I saw his name as it reminds me of my dad and uncle. Wayburn (dad) and Wilburn (uncle) good old southern names that you don't hear much anymore.
    Your photos of the lake are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pecan pie bar looks amazing! I might have to get out my Land of Lakes recipe book and see what I can find ...lol 😉. Lake life sounds wonderful and also, who could tire of those sunsets! The colours reflected in the water are stunning 😀. Wishing you a very Happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Even in rural west Tennessee I never heard of the family digging the grave beforehand and filling it in themselves afterwards. I love pecan pie but have never had bars like that. Sounds good :)

    I agree about pourover coffees and about preferring the smaller cups. All I see in stores these days are huge over-sized things, and my coffee gets cold long before I can finish that much coffee. Your lake views continue to amaze :) Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. Reading about the funeral it is very different from the ones I'm used to.

    You've shared some beautiful photographs of the lake, lovely to see.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, the family has to dig the grave? Interesting. That pecan pie bar looks delicious. I'm going to find and save the recipe. Beautiful sunrise photos. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How interesting to read about local customs. Yes, I live in a rural area too and has its customs. (But here the family doesn't have to dig the grave. I sup`pose it would reduce the price of the funeral...)And food after a funeral is a normal thing in many European cultures. Our funerals are paid for and there is some money for a good knees-up!
    What lovely sun rises! Gorgeous! And you caught them so well on camera.
    Oh dear, you have your work cut out there with that quilt. A nice job for cold evenings by the fire.
    The tea looks interesting. The sort of thing I would buy too. I love rooibos.
    Your pecan pie looks delicious. I love pecans and i wish we could buy them over here. When we go to Holland this Christmas, I think I will indulge and buy a packet.
    Sorry for being so late again,
    Happy belated T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  16. I´m so sorry for the loss of your friend Kathy. It may have been a lovely funeral, different from the funerals we have here.
    Ohh would like to take a piece of this fabulous pecan pie! I have to say that your quilt looks so beautiful. Thanks so much for those great photographs you share with us, they are very beautiful.
    The blue tea-pot and the cup are gorgeous, love the design. Those teas may be delicious, I love strawberry tea.
    I wish you a very nice Thursday, and send big hugs
    Caty

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit