Monday, June 17, 2019

T Stands for Tuesday & A Peak into the Hoosier & Kitchen Cabinets A Photo Overload

Hi everyone, and especially those of you here for T

   Hubs and I have been driving up to the lake house every morning-early and getting back to the wood's home late afternoon.  We are working on getting the different projects finished. Almost there.

   The new central a/c is in, which is much nicer and more even temperature within the house than our woods home is.
   The battle of the basement issues is pretty much complete now-that was allot of work. Our workers spent a few weeks digging out the soil that was sitting on top of the slate rock in the basement (crawl space but with high ceilings)-it was full of mold too. Once they got that accomplished, they power washed it several times and we bought clean rock to cover the area. Now all that mud and mold is gone. Hubs also designed a sump pump like we had in our farm house in Illinois before retirement-that does not need a hole in the basement to work-don't know what this is called but works with a bucket-they tested it-works good and very quiet too. Hubs was very happy to get that finished today.
    He spotted the pipe that comes from the clothes dryer from the main floor into the basement that was just hanging there-so he needs to get that vented outdoors.
  Hubs also redid a wall in the bathroom-it was totally bugging him-that is now complete-I just need to do some painting.

  Last week I carried in cast iron, and other car loads of boxes, and unloaded boxes for the hoosier cabinets.
      My Grandma's cabinet is now filled with my Great Grandma's and her aunt's dishes, pink and green depression dishes given to us years ago by a dear friend of Hubs. In the bottom I have allot of baking pieces, and hope to get my large pottery cookie molds into some of the drawers. The deep drawer has my rolling pin collection.

All photos will enlarge just click on them

The clear glass canisters on the shelf and the sugar bowl is original to this Hoosier cabinet-my Grandma's & Mom's Cabinet and now mine.

   I also added the green depression glass.  That lovely pottery bowl underneath the flour container and sifter I bought at a garage sale here in Missouri. I fell in love with this piece and asked the elder  (more elder than me lol) if she knew anything about the bowl. She said it was her Great Grandma's-I asked if she had family that may want it and she says no the young ones not interested. I told her I would give this bowl a loving home. I have a collection of old bowls, but have never seen one as pretty as this one.
    Between the bowl and the sugar bowl are my Great Grandma's dishes, and the blue plate was from her aunt. This is the first time these pieces have been unpacked since my Mom gave them to me maybe 15 years ago. I remember seeing these dishes at my Grandma's house when I was a kid.

  To the left is a marble rolling pin that a friend gave me years ago, and I found this pottery large candle holder-these are here for now.


When my Mom had passed, I chose to keep this little glass blue bird. My Mom collected pretty glass pieces to display in all the windows-very pretty when the sun shown through. I placed it here with her Grandma's dishes.


Inside the upper cabinet my tea pots, on the other shelves I placed the pink depression ware dishes.


These are the cookbooks, and the household notebooks from my Grandma. They have always been in these two racks inside the doors of the upper cabinet. The newspaper clipping in the back is from the '70s about the history of Hoosier cabinets in Nappanee, Indiana



I need to get my step stool to straighten out the copper shelf, and to hang another piece since there are a couple nails on the wall already-these pieces are all vintage
   On the floor between this shelving and the hoosier cabinet are my two dutch ovens with legs, etc for outside cooking-baking I am loving this shelf rack. Once moved I will get busy cleaning up and seasoning all this cast iron so ready to use.


Last week I got the fire pit painted, needs another coat but we are back to rain every day again  I am going to enjoy this fire pit for sure. Need to find some chairs that can stay outdoors.





We have had sooo much rain again that the flowers are suffering a bit.

I finally have kitchen cabinets-happy dancing!!-which I have not had ever in our woods home. So I am now able to see and use my handmade pottery pieces when ever I want to haha I have been collecting hand thrown pottery since the early '70s-I just love using it-


Below photo-the middle shelf is all handmade pottery, the top and bottom shelves are dishes from family-the leaf pattern pottery was made in California and hand painted-my Grandma had it and when it was too heavy for her to use I got it-most of the every day dishes are no longer but the serving dishes mix well with the other pottery-and the bottom left is what is remaining from my late sister's dishes made in England. When she passed in the early '80s my Mom took the dishes and used them-I always loved the pattern with the wildflowers, I have the bowls and two cups and two dinner plates left-a little remembrance


I need the step stool to get the soup terrain and ladle up there-this has 8 soup bowls  The second shelf-a handmade pottery bowl, and a pottery colander, and I love this beautiful handmade pottery pitcher with cups-bought this in North Carolina back in the '70s


More handmade pottery, vintage deviled egg platter that I love using and was part of the collection of depression ware from Hub's friend, and two glass vintage ice cream sundae dishes

Here is my drink reference for T this week-I made me a cup of mint tea today

   You are most welcome to join us for T with our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth-find link in my right hand column.


I have picking up a few things at the closest food store now and I found this coffee made for the lake area. I wish I could drink a cup but Hubs will enjoy for me.  I have had such a taste for real coffee lately-I am going to get brave and try another decaf coffee-which is hard to actually find one that is low enough in caffeine.


  I hope I haven't bored you all too much 😊

We have been seeing lots of wildlife as we enter and leave the circle drive where our lake house is-deer, red fox, turkey, turtles, and on the lake- herons, two geese families, eagles.

Happy T Everyone

  Oh and I almost forgot-my black walnut tree-looking up from the front of the house and it rained all day today at the lake house



20 comments:

  1. Beautiful pottery, Kath. I am glad you already have your kitchen cabinets. The dishes from your grandma are amazing. I always appreciate the vintage things that my grandma gave me. Enjoy your day, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your kitchen is coming along great. The Hoosiers are in and the new rack is set up and filled. It won't be long and you will definitely call the lake house home.

    You have some gorgeous copper. You KNOW how copper is my weakness. But, you also have a lot of great pottery. Lovely old pieces, too. I have a deviled egg tray very similar to yours. It belonged to my grandmother and I bring it out on special occasions, too.

    Your husband is going to love that coffee. _I_ would love that coffee. I would even grind it for you (grin). Your tea looks fun and your teapots were a joy to see. Thanks for sharing these with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your shelves and cabinets are looking great with all your pretty pottery and china in them. Hope you are soon finished so you can start to enjoy the time in the new house. Happy T Day, hugs Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy t-day, kathy - enjoy summer! i´m not much on the pc these days...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Kathy for sharing all those fantastic photo of your kitchen cabinets. I loved seeing all the pottery and the cookware. It must be very enjoyable for you seeing them in place.
    You must be getting close to your final move now and i hope all will go well.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kathy!
    I enjoyed all the photos of your pottery and other dishes, and I love, love the Hoosier cabinet. Send us some of that rain!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow- this sure is a step back in time and how I love it all-from the pottery, to the porcelain ware, to the birdie, and the pots and pans! Yo have done a fabulous job of storing them all so beautifully too. And the sugar bowl and creamer with the blue design on the dish on your Hoosier- I have a set just like that but with pink flowers which came from my great grandmother! Oh and how nice it will be to enjoy central air:) Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the tour of your kitchen. All the pretty and useful dishes and pans. The blue sugar bowl and creamer are so pretty and the bluebird is so sweet. Those were my favorites. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kathy, you have some beautiful pottery, I love those those handmade pieces that are painted.
    It looks like you have been busy getting everything in it’s place, it all looks lovely
    Have a lovely week
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your kitchen looks great. I love all of the collections you have in it. The fire pit looks inviting. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much work! I know you're excited to be getting so much accomplished. It looks like you've found a place for much of your memory pieces. It's nice to be able to surround yourself with the familiar during a time of change. You make me long for a place on a lake :) That setting is gorgeous, and I'd love having all that wildlife so close. Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all the pottery! So lovely. Sounds like you've been very busy with the house!
    Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, great progress on the lake house, Kathy! I hope all the heavy lifting jobs are done now.

    I love how you've displayed and preserved those precious heirlooms and collectibles. It sounds like some of the heirlooms may go back to the mid-80s!!

    Bored? Are you kidding. This was a wonderful post.

    Happy T-day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos! Love the name of the tea; Mt of Olives, Jerusalem Mint. Sounds good. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have been busy Kathy. Your kitchen is looking good and I love seeing all your beautiful kitchen ware. You have a nice collection and I can see why it has taken you so long to move with all those house fixings you've needed to do. I am late but hope it was a happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is awesome that you have been able to spend so much time at the Lake house. Isn't central air amazing? We love having the same temperature in every room and not having to lug heavy units in and out of the windows.
    What a wonderful collection of treasures you have. I love that you have notes and cookbooks from your Grandmother. Your teapots are lovely but your handmade pottery collection is really a stunner. That pitcher and cups is beautiful!
    Thank you for sharing all your gorgeous pieces with us. It must spark so much joy to be able to finally see all your pieces on display in your home.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice to see that you are settling things in and setting up. Love that you are preserving history. It's nice to have dinner ware and dishes that are handed down from family, thrifted or have been handmade. I really would love to collect hand thrown pieces. Just so much character and loveliness to them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, you always accomplish so much in a week! You and your hubby work really hard and it must be fabulous to be nearly moved in then you can relax and enjoy your lake house 😀. Such beautiful pottery and sentimental pieces too, thanks for sharing! Rain or shine your lake house is a wonderful place to be! Sending you happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  19. OOOhh, your kitchen is so great with all those treasures!! I love your handmade pottery, so interesting and wonderful pieces !! I thank you very much for sharing with us. Happy T-day !! Love your flowers.
    I wish you a very nice Thursday,
    Big hugs, Caty

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit