Monday, March 12, 2018

T Stands For Tuesday and My Fabric Art Journal Update With Loads of Photos

    Hello everyone,
        T Stands for Tuesday is where we share a drink related post with friends. So do stop in and join us. Link to the party hosted by Bleubeard and Elizabeth is in my right hand column.

  Most of last Friday and Saturday I had spent lots of time working on my Fabric Journal. Allot of hours really.
   I had it in my mind that the blog post I got my inspiration from was sewing the pages together with the blanket stitch. (see in my right hand column the link for this under Inspirations and how to's) So instead of rechecking that I just jumped in and started stitching. I could not figure out how she was doing the blanket stitch on two pages,  so I just did a whip stitch around the two pages. I didn't like the look of it at all so I took all that out-and then went back to re read her post-lol  Should have done that to start with.

  Re reading and looking at her photos over and over, I realized she first stitched a blanket stitch around all the edges of each page. She says she used this blanket stitch to stitch the pages together, but did not say how.
     I figured out she must have used a thread to intertwine amongst that bottom part of the blanket stitch, which would pull the stitches tight and in her photos you can not see this thread. After that it looks like she went back and added in her beads.
    Her pages are quite thin opposed to my wool ones especially the blue page. I also discovered that my plaid wool page is raveling a bit so I could not put my blanket stitch on the very edge as she did on her pages. So her method was not working for me.  I decided to do a whip stitch and also added in some beads. I like the end results----but then I am not real sure haha  
    I have decided I need to sew a stitch around the edge of the plaid wool pages first to keep it from raveling before adding the blanket stitch for the rest of the pages.(this plaid piece is not 100% wool so that is why it is raveling a bit)
    I am not sure I like the look of what I did because perhaps the whip stitch detracts from the blanket stitch.  I hope this all makes sense as you read this.  
       any tips is always appreciated. I think on the next pages that I sew together I will work on getting the blanket stitch closer to the edge and then try doing what she did. we'll see

Here are some photos: (all photos will enlarge)

I Pulled some wool threads and beads. These larger cards of wool threads were not as strong as the others and less of each color so thought these would work out great for the blanket stitch around the pages.



I also grabbed cotton embroidery threads to stitch the pages together. These are stronger and also easier to add beads with.



There were just two cards that had this name on them-these are the wool threads I had bought on Etsy a few years ago when I was gathering supplies for a crazy quilt. 
    These were all sample cards for a shop in France from the '60's  so happy I found these. Perhaps any of you that go to France are familiar with the name??


I went in my stash for odd beads to add to the pages


At first I thought I would just use these seed beads but they are too small to show up.


Putting the pages together:

This is my cover page which will get sewn on to the back of the left side of January's page. 
      When I made the cover page I totally did not think about how fat my book will be so when the year of pages is finished I will need to add to this piece and make it longer to fit my book, perhaps wider too.
    

The right side of January's page I sewed on to the back of February's left side page. (February's right side page will get sewn on to the back of March's left side page)
   Thanks again to Elizabeth for helping me figure out the order of the pages for sewing together into a book. 



Close up of stitching these two pages together. 
     When sewing you leave a center strip on both ends Not sewn together so the pages will turn easily.



Close up photos of pages sewn together






I decided to put beads on the tops and bottoms of the pages not the sides where turned.

So what is your honest opinion of the finished look of this joining edge? thanks

  Remember that I did the virtual walk to benefit Yellowstone National Park? Well I received my finishing medal in the mail Saturday. I love this one-it is lighter than last year's medal and you can see through it in the light. This is Old Faithful




If you missed my day in the Big City post you can find it here.

The drink I am sharing is Strong Bow hard cider. I really like this one. It is lighter than Angry Orchard, and is also gluten free.
I find this one very refreshing and I love the feel of the bottle too, it has a nice shape to it.




I have started up Cast Iron Fridays. You are most welcome to share a post-anything about cooking or baking in cast iron-inside or outdoors.

Thanks so much for visiting.
Happy T Day Everyone


19 comments:

  1. You fabric journal gets so beautiful Kathy! I am thrilled about it - will follow the link - thank you for sharing your art and inspiration!That had could happened to me as well - I often don't listen or read really carefully, but I set me the goal for more mindfulnes, so I will do also this more carefully in the future!
    In the end all was good for you - you put your own way - and I guess that is the most important thing for artists and crafters- modify things so that they work for us! This wool thread cards form the sixties are cool! You should sew a whole card onto one page - that would look super!Such a book is a lot of thinking about how--- not easy! You are a heroine to get this all done!
    Apple cidre is something I like very much as well!
    Happy T-Day Kathy!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your fabric book is coming along beautifully Kathy. I think your stitching looks great. Mine s never neat-I just can't do things neatly, but I have accepted that fact and now I figure if I can't make it look perfect I might as well make it look like I purposefully made it look messy. And yours is not messy at all! It is quite beautiful-like that metal too. How cool is that. Hope your new week is going well and happy early T Day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a fabulous job stitching your pages together. Long ago when I did X-stitch, I used Fray-Check on the edges of the cloth to keep it from raveling. Basically, the fray check was PVA glue like Elmer's. The glue would dry clear. Would Fray-check help?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy i know absolutely nothing about sewing...lol So i have no advice to give. :( But i think your pages are beautiful. I love the beads you have sewn on .. I'am sure you will get it all figured out. Sometimes thats the fun part for me.. figuring out how to do something.. Happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the fabric journal!!! It looks perfect to me. I have been having major computer issues the last week and a half and I"m afraid I just might have to buy a new one :( I really don't want to learn how to use Windows 10 :-/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kathy...catching up on your blog and glad I didn't miss your fabric book progress. I just love this idea. Love that's its a "place" to experiement with a variety of technigues and such. Congrats on your metal. I do remember you doing that....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your journal is coming along really well. Love all the wool threads and embellishments you have prepared. Congrats on the lovely medal. Happy T Day, have a great week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy your journal and stitching the pages looks awesome to me, I love how you added the beads.
    I think we are always hard on our own work.
    You have a wonderful selection of wool, beads and threads to use, this is going to be a fabulous book.
    Congratulations on getting your virtual walk medal.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really LIKE what you have done, Kathy. It is wonderful, and I think the stitchings compliment each other. I have a product I got at the sewing store that you iron on. Mine is similar to this: http://www.joann.com/heat-n-bond-iron-on-adhesive-hem/1069780.html?cgid=no-sew-solutions
    The one in the photo is 3/4" wide, but I think mine is 1/2" wide. Walmart has some that is cheaper. Theirs is either 3/8" or 3/4". https://www.walmart.com/ip/HeatnBond-No-Sew-Hem-Roll-Super-Weight-3-4-x-8-yds/, but there is less length. I use mine to keep the fabric from fraying before I sew it. I hope that helps.

    Personally, I think this is coming along great and the beads are fabulous. BTW, congrats on your medal from the walk, too. It's lovely, and I bet you will find a place for it in your new book, too.

    Although I'm not much for alcohol, I really like the looks of that bottle. I know I would recycle it by turning it into art. Thanks for sharing your hard cider and fabric art journal with us for T this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it is always calming to read that others deal with the same problems... and obviously i´m not able to learn: each time i have to make those bookbinding things i fiddle around and i´m not willing to look something up. in the end it turns out okay, sometimes with throwbacks, but i meanwhile accept that is part of the game;)
    the idea with the beads is great, it looks fabulous! your fabric book will be fantastic!
    happy t-day and have a great week! xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a wonderful post! Adding the blanket stitch and pretty beads to your fabric pages looks amazing, it finishes them beautifully 😁. I love your 60's samples from France, such a great find and so interesting too. Many congratulations on completing your virtual walk for Yellowstone and your medal looks so special, I love the transparency and how it captures the light 😁. Thanks for all your kind wishes on my blog and wishing you a Happy T Day! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. your fabric book is looking just fantastic Kathy!! Love the colors of thread you're using to stitch and bead. Have not heard of that French place and wonder if it's still in existence. I may have to research:)
    Haven't used my cast iron skillet in awhile . I need to check out your Fridays posts. And how exciting to be awaiting DNA results- I do hope you'll share!
    Wishing you a happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey Kathy- looks like that French store is still in business
    http://www.amalric-filature.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am particularly taken with the bead trim. The perfect edge, I think :) Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful fabric art Kathy, I love the little field of sheep!
    That cider looks delicious! Happy T Day!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I really love your book and I loved seeing all of your supplies that went into it too! I am going to look for a virtual walk to do although I am enjoying just seeing the steps building up as it is! I used to love Strongbow cider! Have a wonderful week! Happy T day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, your fabric journal is wonderful. I love the beading. You did a great job of the sewing.
    The French sample cards are fab. No, I'd never heard of that company. I am just reading that they are still in business.
    Congratulations on getting the medal. I remember you talking about that walk. I am doing the Lake Tahoe Rim walk (virtually of course) on walking4fun. No medals to be had though.
    Your Strongbow looks very inviting. Strongbow is a very well known brand of cider in the UK, but it doesn't come in a fancy bottle like yours. Ours comes in six-pack cans with the same label. I wonder why you would call it hard cider. Strongbow is not particularly strong (in spite of its name). Anyway: cheers! To your health!
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your fabric book is coming along beautifully! I love all the beads that you have sewn around the edges of the pages. Your collection of beads and thread are lovely.
    Belated Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kathy, my honest opinion of your binding is that it's very well done. I like the bead accents and your stitching makes a nice frame for the pages. I've never bound a book of any sort - paper or fabric. So I wouldn't know were to begin. I think you've done great!

    Beautiful medal. I wonder how many you've collected by virtual walking.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit