Thursday, March 22, 2018

Cast iron Fridays With Lots of Photos

Welcome everyone,

(I am posting a little early as we will be gone most of today)

              I have started up a cast iron sharing event. 
You are most welcome to join in with a post (new or old) just link up back to here to help spread the word. 

    If you no longer use cast iron but still have a favorite recipe or method please feel welcome to share. This is a learning and sharing event for all of us interested.
    Any of you that have used your cast iron at events or camping are most welcome too.
   This is for anything cooked, grilled, baked indoors or outdoors in cast iron. This also includes cast iron dutch ovens with the legs and special lids to hold the hot coals.


     I thought I would share a couple sources about cast iron.  Last year at a big box store-Sam's Club-I discovered the magazine Southern Cast Iron. I love this magazine. It is a bit pricey but I found a really good price around cyber week after Thanksgiving for a subscription. During this time they also have allot of their books and other magazines at big discounts too. Many of the recipes are on their site  as well. This magazine is sooo good in my opinion that it is like a mini cookbook-just filled with recipes and other good information.

   One does not need special recipes for our cast iron, as one can adapt many of their favorites to cast iron. However, Once you start using your pieces you will see how special they are especially for baked goods. Breads and pizza are awesome.

  I was looking around for blogs about cast iron and so far nothing really appealed to me but I did see that Lodge has a blog called The Chopping Block which I just signed up for. Lodge is an excellent source for products-made here in the USA still, recipes, how to's and more.

So what did I make this past week in my cast iron?

   First off we hadn't had biscuits and gravy for awhile so I made us enough for a couple breakfast/dinners. (we are eating at 2 in the afternoon now so I made a big breakfast for dinner)

    This post will have lots of photos so I kept them a bit smaller just click on them for better viewing-they will enlarge full size. (don't look too close at my stove - that needs a really good cleaning soon)






I am not always real good at making fried potatoes but these turned out awesome. I cooked them first-drained-and for the oil I used grapeseed oil. No sticking (smiles)

I also baked an Irish Soda Bread in my dutch oven this past week. Here is the recipe I had not tried this before and it turned out perfect. This a no yeast dough-just do NOT over mix and your bread will be perfect.  The recipe said a 10" dutch oven mine was 9 1/2"wide and baked up perfectly.







I highly recommend this bread-so easy and turns out perfect. It's a show stopper.

Wednesday I had apples that needed to be used. So I made up a deep dish apple raisin pie for hubs and for whom ever drops by.  
          For me I made a gluten free apple crisp.
   For the recipe I usually just "wing it" but I decided to read through a couple of recipes. I liked this one the best. simple and not allot of fat or sugar added compared to most others and I changed it to gluten free. 
   what I changed-for the oats I used half gluten free rolled oats and 1./2 slivered almonds. instead of brown sugar I used coconut sugar. For the apples I also used coconut sugar and about a tablespoon of agave, and I sprinkled in a little instant tapioca-it makes the apples nice and thick-like a pie.and instead of cinnamon I use apple pie spice-which has more spices in it.




After using my cast iron skillets I washed out the skillets and re seasoned. I love the spray olive oil-nothing else in it. I spray just a bit on the skillet, wipe around with a paper towel and heat for 5 minutes on my gas stove.

  I also roasted some green coffee beans for my Hubs in one of the cast iron skillets-I will share that next week and also a couple of books.

Now it is your turn if you would like to share a post using cast iron. 
Thanks so much for visiting.


16 comments:

  1. I was most impressed with the eggs. Eggs always stuck for me in cast iron. The potatoes looked great and so did the gravy. Thanks for sharing your expertise. I look forward to joining you soon, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you've done it... I'm starving after looking at all the yummy recipes you made!
    Hugs for now from still snowed under New Hampshire...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks and sounds all so delicious Kathy! I think it is just great that you share your recipes and your knowledge with us. I thought of you today as I fried my potatoes in my brand new cast iron pan. Yes you inspired me and as I was thinking to buy a new pan and they offered a 50%off bargain for a big iron cast pan of a very good German brand at the supermarket I'm immediately struck.
    Thanks for all the links!
    My hubby needs Kaiserschmarrn ( Austrian dessert - sugared pancake) mearly every week and it is even better in the new pan!
    Happy weekend Kathy!

    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy i don't cook with cast iron and except for one or two camping trips i never have... But i wanted to stop by and support your blog post as i love to visit you and your blog.. All the food looks delicious! Can i come for breakfast even if its at 2pm?? lol i like reading about your passions that are so different than mine.. As you know i cook because i have to not that i enjoy one minute of it.. lol Take care and see you for T this next week.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. All these fantastic food pictures, all with delicious food is making me feel quite hungry even though it is close to bedtime here.
    I am enjoying reading your posts.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my Kathy it all looks SO good except for the eggs- I just can't do/eat them like that...
    thanks so much for hosting and for sharing your knowledge, links and recipes too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see we don't have to post just straight cast iron. I have a few enameled cast iron pans that I use all the time. In fact we made pizza on one the other day. OK, time to remember to take some photos and I hope to join in next week. By the way-your food looks delicious!!!!! Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything looks so yummy! I really enjoyed reading about all the different things you have made. I too made Irish soda bread last week in my cast iron skillet and it turned out fabulous. That GF apple crisp looked very yummy! I love coconut palm sugar. It is all I use aside from honey.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything looks so good. Do they sell cast iron loaf pans? I love baking bread. Your Irish soda bread looks fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those do look delicious! Looking forward to warmer weather and more outdoor cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, all the food looks so amazing! I didn't know cast iron was so versatile and I'm loving the look of your soda bread and those fried potatoes, biscuits and gravy and eggs over easy must have tasted so good - yum 😉. Happy Friday and have a wonderful weekend! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a master at cooking in cast iron pans, and I'm learning so much. So far, I've used mine for steaks, burger, potatoes and cornbread. Still want to give baking a try with some berries. Thanks for the yummy pictures and Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything does look delish as usual Kathy. I looked for my Finnish pancake recipe but haven't found it yet. So no post for me this week. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was very interesting, Kathy. I don't have any cast iron any more. You're amazing - making such a variety of things in cast iron cookware. And they all look perfectly done. There's even a magazine - that really surprised me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. No cast iron here either. In fact, not much cooking. 😉 lol. So many other things I’d rather do. Beauuu-tiful food!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a nice post and such good looking food. Great to stumble across your new blog, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit