Thursday, March 15, 2018

Cast Iron Fridays

Welcome everyone,
   I thought I would start up a cast iron sharing event. 
You are most welcome to join in with a post (new or old) just link up back to here to help spread the word. If you no longer use cast iron but still have a favorite recipe or method please feel welcome to share.
   This is for anything cooked, grilled, baked indoors or outdoors in cast iron. This also includes cast iron dutch ovens with the legs and special lids to hold the hot coals.

  I think some people are intimidated with the seasoning process. I never gave this must thought really since I use my pieces every day.
  Some people never use soap but prefer to scrub with salt then rinse and dry.  If I make something that gets stuck a bit to the pan I just soak mine over night. In the morning it usually washes right up. I dry mine and then I heat it on my gas stove with a spray of olive oil, wipe it around and set the timer for 5 minutes.  When seasoned your cast iron will Not be sticky but shiny black and smooth. If it is sticky heat it up a bit more.
   Also never put a very hot piece of cast iron into water. Good way to crack it-let it cool down and then clean it.

Here is a link from Southern Cast Iron with good information for the care of your cast iron pieces.
    They also have an excellent magazine out for cast iron-I love it.

Last week I made brownies for my husband to take to a Jump In event down at the river near here. This is a charity event that brings out lots of people. They serve food as well along with a big fire to keep the jumpers warm.
  I used a gluten free brownie mix used coconut oil instead of butter an egg, and some vanilla extract.

My square cast iron skillet is perfect for this


I just barely wiped a little olive oil on the seasoned pan and you can see nothing stuck- the brownies came right out



Hubs said everyone was asking who make the brownies-they went real fast  Good thing I saved a couple back lol



I pretty much make all of our meals in my cast iron pieces-one night we asked a friend over for tacos.

I warm up the tortillas on a cast iron griddle pan



This deep pan, I use allot outdoors on the grill so it's a little rough on the outside, the inside has a nice seasoning on it. This is a pan of chili beans with green chilies and tomatoes


I grabbed a deep skillet and started frying up a pound of chirozo and a pound of hamburger.Then added in my gluten free taco seasoning mix and water.  I cook this down til all the liquid is gone 


I serve with spring greens, grated cheese, salsa  Good Eats.


So glad you stopped by.


10 comments:

  1. I didn't like to soak my cast iron pans, but that may be because I didn't know how to season then after they had soaked. In fact, I often didn't know how to season them, so I suspect that was why most things I cooked were a bust.

    However, I was only 19 and "inherited" a couple of cast iron skillets from my grandmother who swore they were the only way to cook. If only she had been next to me the first time I tried to cook something (grin). The one thing I COULD cook in my cast iron skillet was fried chicken.

    And it just dawned on me, I still have her cast iron griddle. I will have to make pancakes and link up with you next week (I hope I can find it by then!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your food looks very delicious. I can't use cast iron, can't lift it. Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. oH MY YOU MAKE ME SO HUNGRY dear Kathy! The brownies, the beans! AMAZING! You inspired me . Now I will cook beans for my husband for lunch and I will bake brownies! - Even though not in cast iron...I am sorry to just have two cast iron pots - the big one with even a lid would make a good job... I will try out some of your tipps for sure!
    Happy cast iron friday - I don't participate - but I want to tell you that wouldn't be able for me to link up to this link tool.. have the same problems at some other linkparties... I don't know why:
    It tells me
    This InLinkz widget is not allowed in this website. You can still view the linkup here.
    But whe I click "HERE" I just arrive at the same post again ....


    Happy weekend my friend!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must have smelled so good at your house. i could go for a brownie right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These all look so yummy! I only have the 12" round but just found a recipe for a giant chocolate chip cookie made in it so I must try it and then link. Never tried a dessert in my pan:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pans look well loved and the food you have shown us made in them looks delicious.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have some great pieces of cast iron Kathy. I have never seen the pail looking pot before. Your food looks tasty too. :) I made brownies but I didn't think you could bake them in a cast iron fry pan. It's a really clever idea that I bet people have been using for many years. Happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to bake a "Finnish Pancake" in my cast iron that was so delish...more like a firm custard than a pancake. I'll have to see if I can find the recipe for it. May even make it if Hub is around to take it out of the oven for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love my cast iron for making tortillas! I want to get a griddle to make more of them at once. We have a couple of square frying pans, as well, and a dutch oven that has been in my family longer than I have!
    Love,
    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a cast iron skillet and never use it! And it was brand new about 5 years ago! I have used it maybe three times! Pretty sad! I hope to get inspired and will subscribe!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit