Friday, January 19, 2018

The Warm Up Has Arrived and my Fabric Art Journal Updated

   A heat wave-lol-well 50 degrees feels like a heat wave for sure-does a body good to get warmed up.  Our highway that we live on is just a little snow covered now, while our long drive way hopefully will melt off by Sunday.

  Last night I could not sleep as I was thinking about my fabric book and how I want to bind it. I just could not grasp it, even with our Elizabeth explaining it well so I thought I got it-but no not quite right. Then it came to me-and I finally Get it-happy dancing, as I really wanted to bind it that way-see previous post.

  So today I decided I wanted a few more pages and a extra page in front that will be attached to the cover. So I knew I had more yardage in wool and got lucky that it was in a trunk in the bottom drawer that I could get to easily.  It is a soft plaid and the blue matches perfectly to the blue I am already using. So I got the idea to alternate the colors which will give me enough to have two pages per month and a couple extra, so I am pleased. This plaid is allot thinner but I am going to add some quilt batting between the two layers.

  I took Elizabeth's suggestion and bought the right ink pads for stamping on to fabric. Thank you much Elizabeth, as what I had on hand will not work at all. I found a good price on ebay and bought a couple colors-so I am waiting on those inks to stamp some lettering for the January page. 
  After cutting more pages I worked on the first page when you open the book. I got out my stencils I had made and used for quilting and made some wool appliques. Then I remembered I still have mistyfuse-which is a product I love You can seal together papers to fabric or fabric to fabric etc it is great stuff. I used it allot several years ago when I was making artsy postcards and atcs to swap. So I am going to seal down the wool appliques with that first and then stitch the edges.
   Before that I remembered about ironing on freezer paper for a stencil-so much easier to cut out then tracing the stencil with chalk. My past quilting techniques are coming back to me haha




These are stencils I made from our oak leaves and sumac leaf and the deer I cut from a photo in a magazine.
   This is going to be the opening page of the book with lettering on top of the page.



A peak at some of the shelving filled with fabrics, reclaimed linen, silks, velvets from clothing found at thrift shops. also bags of laces,-you name it I probably have it if is sewing related lol I orginally was collecting items to make a crazy quilt-but that is not going to happen now-I think my fiber book will lend itself well for smaller projects.


This is my set of letter stamps I am looking forward to using allot of my stamps with this project too



and I found these inks that I had forgotten about-I probably picked them up with a coupon and do not remember now what I was going to do with them. this package has lots of safety warnings on the back--any of you use these?? will they work on fabric??



Thank you for stopping by and enjoy your weekend!!

10 comments:

  1. Kathy, I am glad you are going through with this project. I have never used Misti Fuse, but I have a similar product (Wonder Under). And your fabric storage area is to die for. You have SO much fabric. Mine is all about 4 inches or so. I think the wool felt is going to be perfect for your book, and I look forward to seeing it materialize (no pun intended).

    I have a starter set of alcohol inks and I used them on metal. I make my own alcohol inks (AIs) using Staz-on reinkers and 91% alcohol. I also color fabric using Sharpies and alcohol. I have tutorials on both. I have never tried to use these AIs on fabric, BUT I see no reason why you can't use them on fabric if they are diluted. Don't expect to get a good or realistic image with them, though. I know you are told to use the extender or whatever it's called, but I found alcohol (again, 91%) the best way to make these disperse. I PERSONALLY would NOT use them for dyeing fabric, but would save them for metal or other non-porous substrates. They are too expensive otherwise. Instead, use Sharpies and Staz-on reinkers (invest in these one or two at a time) diluted with alcohol to dye fabric. The reinkers work best as backgrounds and the Sharpies work best for more realistic pieces. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the 2 fabrics you have ready for our journal. Freezer paper is always a great help with making stencils or printing onto gauzy fabrics. Glad you got the right inks. Alcohol ink need to be used on shiny paper, like photo paper, I don't think it will be good on fabric. Have fun creating, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your creativity and super that Elizabeth could help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have quite the stash Kathy! Can't wait to see the finish the results! I think using the heat and fuse is a great idea. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your fabric stash looks so much like mine did before it got boxed up in plastic totes and taken to the basement. The art supplies took over the crafting room :)
    Valerie is right the alcohol ink don't work well on fabrics. Unless you are going for a very loose undefined look. Play with a small scrap and you will see what I mean.
    Enjoy the lovely weather we are having. I just looked at the 10 day forecast and it will be warmer than normal most of the time. Makes me want to get out and work in the yard. :)
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just been reading through your last few posts. I am so pleased to read here that you are happy starting your Fabric journal, the materials you picked out look lovely. The first page stencils look awesome, I look forward to seeing your pages.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the blue alternating with the plaid. Can't wait to see how you create this book. I've only made books with paper so am interested to see how you put things together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just discovered freezer paper for sewing and I love it! It has made my life so much easier. Your cut out shapes look great. I have used alcohol ink but never with fabric, although I can't imagine it would work well. I think it works best on non-absorbent surfaces.
    Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I love the two colors you have chosen.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. I look forward to seeing more of your fabric journal, Kathy. It's a new concept to me. So I'm quite curious ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgeous fabric stash! I assume the inks will disperse when used on fabric...you will need to experiment. but they might make some really gorgeous dyed backgrounds over which you can sew and stitch. make sure you put something underneath to protect your surface. If you want to draw something with pens or markers, I have found it much easier to draw on finely woven cottons. There will still be some bleeding into the fabric most likely, unless they are specifically fabric markers. it will be fun to try everything out and experiment! can't wait to see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit