Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Anxious For Our Warm Up & Photos

  This morning I think all of these arctic temps have gotten to me as I woke up chilled-really early this morning.  The furnace is keeping up, but I think everything in the house is just so chilled now including me. haha
   Our garbage needs to be wheeled down to the road for pick up around 7:30 am as it gets picked up before 8 am.  Being in the minus again-nope I wasn't wanting to warm up the car and way too cold for a walk down the driveway early this morning-so I will just get it all out next week instead.  
   I brewed up myself a pot of my herbal decaf and have been drinking that all morning long-still have a couple cups left.
   Tomorrow the warm up really begins and I really just can't wait lol  How are you doing with the arctic temps if you have them too??

   On the plus size I finished with the information for taxes and completed all that this morning, and every day now I am basting up hexagons. Loving the progress as I have less than 20 now to baste. (that of course is Not counting all the background hexagons)
     The Fabric Art Journals book arrived in today's mail. I am really happy with it. For buying used it was well taken care of and is like brand new. I am going to sit down and read most of it.  I don't think I am into those metal grommets for putting the pages together-I want to keep it all more organic. I am going to see if I can figure out the stitching instead. Or once I get into it more will just develop it as I go. I always work that way and nothing like this is ever really planned out-unlike my hexagon quilt where I have planned out the project more. 

   With so many days here below 0 this cold weather is just drinking up my propane gas. Instead of it lasting 4 to 6 weeks which is more normal for winter, It is only lasting 2 to 3 weeks-so I have not been baking as much as I would love to during these cold temps.  I have been making soups and I did bake cornbread this week though.

I made a big pot of white beans with lots of ham




    We enjoyed this two days in a row and then I froze the rest. Below I sprinkled on some shredded cheeses.


Years ago I found on King Arthur's Flour site a recipe for cornbread that only uses cornmeal and no flour-so this is my go to recipe for cast iron skillet cornbread They must have taken down the recipe as I don't see it now. If anyone would like it let me know and I will share it in my next post.

We still have many bird and deer visitors and a couple big red squirrels enjoying the corn and seed. Of course now many of the deer are stopping by earlier and earlier in hopes I am feeding twice I guess lol



Today we have lots of sunshine so enjoying that over the cloudy days we have had

Have an awesome day!!

6 comments:

  1. Oh Kathy, I certainly feel your pain. At least your heater is keeping up, even though it is soaking up your propane. Here my heat never shuts off and right now my little space heater is showing 55 F. It will kick off at 64 F, but that hasn't happened for days and days on end.

    I love that you can look outside and see those deer. I've always lived in a city or town, so this is always fascinating for me.

    Your ham and beans and cornbread sounds delicious. I found when I became a vegetarian, cooking beans without ham isn't tasty at all. I learned if I want white beans, I need to buy a piece of ham or some ham hocks to throw into the mix.

    I hope it warms for both of us very soon. Stay warm, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry that it is soo cold in your area, here it's cold as well but most of the time above zero. I drink a lot of warm beverages the whole day long to stay warm and even do a bit of workout to get warm every day now- That's good for my body too. I would love to have this book as well. I searched many YT tutorials about fabric books but found not one which was after my taste. The most are using tons of lace and such things and I am not so keen on that style.
    Have fun with the book and the hexagons and please a plate of the pot of beans and your cornbread for me as well today! Looks great!
    And I so love to see the deer so well looked after by you!
    ♥♥♥
    Stay warm and creative Kathy!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cold weather has to be tough on the wild animals too. The cold is brutal, isn't it? But your cooking and baking look yummy and WARM. I often buy used books -why not? You save a lot of money and usually they are pretty good. It's not like they usually spoil, unless they are torn, stained or falling apart. Stay warm and hope it warms up again soon. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we had two weeks of subzero temps, I ran the heater day and night. Just not worth it to have frozen pipes. Our trash has to be wheeled down the driveway early, too. Our driveway is only 75 ft. long and not my job. =^,.^= The soups and cornbread look delicious. The deer seem to be enjoying the corn and seed. You'll need a tee-shirt with a deer on it saying: Excuse me, but we need more corn. Warmer weather is predicted for the weekend. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are keeping our house cooler than normal this winter but I still dread seeing the heating bill . I just looked at the 10 day forecast and it's looking much better than what we've had lately!!!!! I want to make another big pot of soup or stew but hubby is complaining we've had it too much this winter already. LOL! He's not as big a fan of soups as I am . So I'll roast a chicken tomorrow ...it's thawing now. Today I guess will be meatloaf .
    The birds are eating me out of sunflower seeds and suet this year. I broke down and bought some corn to try and keep the squirrels from eating as much sunflower seeds. We'll see if that works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry it's so cold over there. Your food looks great. I love seeing your "visitors". Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit