Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Do You Make Resolutions for the New Year or Choose a Word for the New Year???

      I have been reading some good posts on this subject so I decided to give this more thought.
    I found an interesting post by Goodreads with pages of quotes by different people with their thoughts about the new year. I read a few pages and found it very interesting. I liked the one that said to make mistakes because that is how we learn and better ourselves.

   We have been retired now since the fall of 2003. Through the years of our marriage our goal was to work towards being totally debt free and live even more rural that we were and be near fishing and hunting opportunities-and we did that. We decided before marriage we both did not want children so our focus was the future. And we did work hard with long hours and many days in each week, but now I realize looking back we forgot to have fun, live in the moment more. 
   I am approaching 70-I can't believe that at all-and hubs is mid  70's and still working. As we age of course our bodies do as well so routine things now are more difficult especially for hubs. We still have much to do in our home to have it completed-walls finished, lots of tile to put down, but I am pushing for more fun-fun for hubs is going out with the guys fishing in his boats, and me is more baking cooking outdoors and my arts and crafts.
   
    I have decided I need more balance-some of everything I love to do and things I need to do.
    So Balance is my word for 2018--actually the first word I have ever decided to choose for a new year. and I feel good about it-just writing this all down.


(cartoon found online)

What are your thoughts on resolutions and words for a new year??


9 comments:

  1. Good luck with your chosen word, and I hope you find the necessary balance. Have a happy 2018. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find my search for a word creates opportunity for great reflection and thus leads to my new word/focus for personal growth in the following year. Kinda like "the word" creates a midset. I don't so much set "goals" as much as "intentions" I find goals stress me out and suck my creativity. My hobby all of sudden because something I h ave to do. Don't know if that makes sense....but ntentions...well create the opportunity for me to be creative...they lead me toward whatever it is I'm trying to accomplish.

    I appreciate your reminder to have while I am in my working hard stage of life. As after 29 years of teaching...but with a good seven to go...I find myself beginning to think of days being retired. But!! I tell my husband...I'd rather work a few more years than retire early as we are having fun!! So thank you for that affirmation. HAPPY HAPPY 2018...I know you'll do great with creating balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have chosen a good word for the new year.
    I hope you have a good 2018.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good word. I've picked words and then can't remember what they are by May. But I think a word is better than a resolution because it leaves you open to way more possibilities. I tend to find a goal or two for the year, or I should say they find me once I get going into the year. So no goal yet. hope you have a year of finding balance. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having something positive to focus on gives us direction for the year so I think it's a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've created a word since 2014. For 2014, Utilize; 2015, Represent; 2016, Experiment; 2017, Focus; and 2018, Concentrate.

    I like your word. And I understand how important it is to you, too. I wish we lived closer together, and we could dye fabric together. You and I have such similar skills and interests, I bet we could spend a week together and not get bored. Just don't ask me to cook anything fancy (grin).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've chosen an intention this year rather than just a word. "Practice More KINDNESS" Kindness has always been important to me and even my "SUPER POWER" but there is always room for more kindness in life. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Resolutions are hard to commit to, but one word is doable. You chose a great word. I think a lot of us struggle with balance. Will be interesting to hear your insights as you strive for equilibrium.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, I don't do resolutions, and I do not choose a word for the year. I try to live each day to its fullest, and do not want to be constrained by focusing on one thing. Seeking balance is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit