Sunday, January 14, 2018

T Stands for Tuesday and Photos Overload

  Happy Sunday, and also my post for T Stands for Tuesday with Bleubeard and Elizabeth. 
    We share a drink related post with friends. See link in my right hand corner to join us.
  I have been enjoying cups of chamomile and lavender tea this week-a really nice tea in the afternoon.

   My Balance this week has been working on all the tax work for Hub's business and getting it ready for the visit with our accountant probably in March, Balanced with my craft projects.

   I have been basting the hexagons around the card stock getting them ready to sew into the rosettes. This should go fast but for me not so much. I have been getting 2 rosettes or 14 pieces basted in the evenings but I am making progress,  I also spent most of yesterday getting more sets basted too. and I am trying not to overdo it but so far no major pain in my bad left hand. I have been taking the two herbs for about 9 months now and I have seen awesome improvement. I have been taking twice a day turmeric and bowsellia.
   To come soon is the project with lots and lots of background fabrics to cut into strips and then the hexagons. I am a little intimated on that to keep it all on grain of the fabrics.  I will do some research online to see the best way to do that-quilters any suggestions? I have allot of yards to cut.

   I have also been thinking about my fabric book and how to make it. Thanks to all of you with suggestions and links. I gained allot from our Johanna and also searching online. 
    I have some ideas, still not quite sure how to handle covering up the stitching on the "backs" of each page-unless I cover with another fabric piece and then stitch around the raw edges-not sure about that yet.
     I did find a book (and searched around for a good price) which looked very informative so I bought it and hope it arrives soon-like very soon lol
     Fabric Art Journals: Making, Sewing, and Embellishing Journals from Cloth and Fibers by Pam Sussman this was published in 2005 I believe




Living where I do I buy allot of books sight unseen and this one looked like what I was wanting to learn-ideas on binding fabric books.

I have allot of quilt fabrics that I think will work out nice for some of the pages sewn on top of wool.  

   I stitched down with wool thread the piece I created with corn husk paper onto this cotton homespun plaid and added a couple of glass beads




   I needed to dig out the bags of spinning fibers to get to one of my trunks of wool.  I think this blue piece will work out perfectly for my pages. There is some yardage here so plenty to make my fabric 2018 book with. Most all of my supplies have been found at thrift stores even this yardage of wool. I love the color.

  I have a small room that sets off the living room for my craft room. This past year especially it has gotten so full that I can hardly work in there. It's a small space but I have a weaving area and a sewing area, and quite a few shelves, and I have several vintage trunks that store sewing supplies and yarns and wool fabrics. An old vintage school desk set up to cut strips of wool for rug hooking-this room is really a gold mine with items I have collected since the late '60s.   I wish I knew someone to leave this to someday, with no family I need to really start giving this some thought.

   Here are a few photos after removing bags of spinning fibers to get into at least one drawer in a vintage trunk of wool fabrics--pretty crazy I know and I am usually not into this much clutter.

   To save space I kept the photos small just click to enlarge them all
           The Trunk on left side just came visible lol  The two lower drawers are full of reclaimed wool garments mostly that I took apart and felted down. There are some sweater pieces too that make warm handmade mittens
   That stack of tins are all full of vintage buttons the other stack of tins are vintage threads, laces etc.  The big Home Depot Bag is full of fibers to spin for a Yellowstone inspired weaving piece--I really have enough projects in mind to keep me busy for two life times.



     This view (below) is looking down the room from above photo. My 45" weaving loom that I have yet to set up and is on my must do list this year. My warping loom on the back wall with yardage ready to go on that small sample loom
  That foam you see is a piece I bought to make new cushions for the benches in the kitchen.
   That back area has shelves up high storing lots of dye materials
To the front left covered up with a quilt is a vintage leather sewing machine-and to the right back not shown is a huge vintage trunk full of leather I know craziness.



(photo below) This is toward the front of the room but on the left side-across from bags of wool which is my sewing area. We found this awesome vintage oak desk which is perfect for sewing and other crafts


(below) This is behind my chair of the desk-a stack of Yellowstone inspired fabrics to be sewn into a large quilt among lots of other fabrics and sewing items


(photo below) Behind the door to my room-yep that's snake skin hanging there I found here in our woods-will do something with that one day in a weaving perhaps, rulers, vintage threads etc etc



(below photo) Another view of the clear path to open the drawers for wool fabric


  (below photo) That blue wool yardage on the bottom-I found these wools to use in my fabric book The darker plaid has been dyed with iron solution-the lighter is the original piece before dyeing, in the back of the photo you can see I found some nice browns.  In the back near this trunk-I would need to uncover more bags of spinning wools-is a very large trunk full of wool  in there are more colors I may need to get in there another day reds, green purple and more lol
   I started finding these pieces of wool at thrift shops because I wanted to make a wool crazy quilt, and/or just a wool quilt, or cut strips with to rug hook.  I think fabric books will be perfect for me now-I can create but on a smaller scale of project.
   My civil war hexagon quilt will be my major large project now except for weaving.



(below photo) This is another trunk that sits facing the back of the room along the back of the trunk above. The drawers are filled with everything sewing



Now that I have shown these photos it is amazing to me just how much is in this room-I barely scratched the surface. This year I will be getting serious about using things in here to create weavings etc

This morning we woke up to a bit of snow and has been snowing lightly all day now. I have taken some more photos of the birds and the other day surprise a pair of Muscovy ducks flew in and have been visiting every day now. Hubs says this is a young pair.

These photos will enlarge even more just click on them






There are two blue jays in this tree-did you find them?



and I am not sure what bird this is with the red head-as it does not look big enough to be the red headed woodpecker-does any one know? 


The big red squirrels have been here today as well 



The other day I made a big pan of gluten free lasagna I ended up freezing enough for two more meals Lots of cheese in this and was very yummy



This year I have started to fill my two big Yellowstone bottles full of water in the mornings-and my goal is to drink them both by evening. I don't drink enough liquids so since I love everything Yellowstone thought this would encourage me to do that
    and nearby is my hexie project along with a couple of my hand dipped dark chocolate fruits. 
   I had a box of snack bags so I decided to put the hexies for each rosette in a bag to keep them organized before stitched.




and here are the rest of main rosettes to be basted-I totally love these colors



It is now after 2 pm in the afternoon-and the deer have begun to come up looking in the window at me-where's our corn lol



Happy T Day everyone  hoping I didn't overload you too much with all the photos

19 comments:

  1. WOW, you have a ton of stuff in your craft room. I have a friend who has a loom and she used it when she got her master's degree in college. I bet you and she would find lots to talk about.

    You have a ton of fabric. I have little bits and pieces, but nothing over 4" (10,16 cm).

    So glad you have balanced your sewing with drinking lots of water during the day. I heard you will lose weight that way, too. You probably don't need to, but I need to take off about 5 lbs I put on over the holidays.

    Thanks for sharing your incredible craft room (LOVED the snake skin), your civil war hexagons, and your bottles of Yellowstone water bottles with us for T this week. Please save me some lasagna, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hexagons are looking good. I think you ordered a good book. I have that one and also another one I like is by Lesley Riley called Fabric Memory Books. If you ever get to see any Somerset Studio Magazines (Art Quilting Studio-a bit and also Sew Somerset) they often have fabric books also. They are a little pricey but maybe libraries carry them or they have sales sometimes for 99 cent issues. And you do have lots of animals in your yard. That is so cool. Hope you warm up soon. And have a happy T Day! Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! Your craft room is definitely chock full. You could create in there for a very long time and never have to leave for anything. Just keep filling up those water bottles. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your craft room is really filled with treasures, you have a lot in there to keep you occupied. There are so many beautiful fabrics, too. Have fun with the quilting, but don't hurt your hand. Glad the herbs are helping. Lovey photos from the garden with the birds and animal, thank for sharing. Happy T Day, Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been recently working on clearing out and organizing my craft room so it's possible to use it again ...for now. Your deer look healthy and well fed. Did you know that in some counties in Missouri it is illegal to feed deer right now? Our county is one of them... it's supposed to be because of some disease that is affecting the deer population in Missouri right now.
    Getting ready for the big chill to hit here again today.... the snow is pretty but I don't want the deep freeze to start all over. :(
    Happy T Day!!!!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No mu county does not have the wasting disease-yet I hope we don't get it but many of the counties surrounding us do. and what I read the way I feed the corn is still allowed just not from those automatic feeders that some hunters use

      Delete
  6. I would love to have a close look in your craft room especially at your loom, your material stash looks amazing.
    It seems a good fabric journal book as well, I really like the colour of the material you used for the pages. Your quilting pieces look good as well.
    Super photos of the wildlife in your garden .
    Happy T day wishes and I'm sure you enjoyed your delicious looking lasagna.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, your craft room is filled with amazing crafting goodies! I love that you are creating a fabric scroll too, what fun 😁. Your sheep look so cute on your homemade paper and fabric - amazing! I enjoyed seeing your deer visitors too, I know I probably always say it ...lol 😉 ... but it is so cool that you get to see them up close. I'm loving your quilt pieces too, such pretty fabrics! Happy T Day wishes! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, I'm pretty sure that is a red bellied woodpecker as we occasionally get them in our yard.And wow- you have quite a stash of crafting goodies!! I guess when working with looms and yarns and fabrics you would have a full space. I have that book as well as a few other fabric journal books. I used create with fabric quite a bit but not so much anymore. And nothing like the preciseness of quilt making-your hexagons are so pretty! Good luck cleaning out your room a bit-seems to be an ongoing process for me...
    happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my, what a post! how nice to see you found the book of Pam sussman... i didn´t even mention it, because i thought it is out of print for years and only available for a high Price second Hand. you were lucky to find one!! i´m sure you will enjoy it.
    i should also put a large pot onto my table, i´m drinking too less also!
    happy t-day, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a lot of things in your craft room! And once you start looking, you'll find things you didn't know you had! You have enough projects there to last you till kingdom come.
    The book looks interesting. I'm sure you'll let us know when it arrives if it comes up to expectation.
    I enjoyed meeting the ducks, squirrels, deer and birds. No I don't know what bird that red one is. I don't know much about birds.
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Linda about the bird being a red bellied woodpecker. We used to get them at our suet feeder but haven't this year.

    I knew someone once who had a loom. Magic!

    Most of us could benefit from drinking more water, and I keep a glass near me during the day. Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh so much amazing things here today - wow so many goodie for crafting! You are such a creative person!
    Happy T-Day - I am impressed with all here today - and love to see your wild life friends again!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I can no longer visit your blog - my eyes have turned green with envy over the wildlife visitors you have - yes I did enlarge them AND scrolled back and forth - which made the eyes even greener!!! LOL! Oh my girl! You also have a LOT of things to keep you busy for a while too - I love how you casually drop in that you found a snake skin too - Uh! Oh! going through shades of emerald at the moment!!! Wishing you a big Happy T Day! Hugs, Chrisxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your craft room is a treasure trove! Love the photos of all your visitors especially the cardinal. I found the bluejays. Reminded me of finding objects in Highlights magazine when I was a kid. And the deer and your comment about the corn made me laugh. Your quilt is going to be gorgeous when it's done. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved seeing your craft space. That book sounds interesting. I may try to find a copy at the library. I love the colors of the hexagons that you have prepared. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
    I love herbs and their healing properties. How wonderful that you have seen improvement in your hand pain! I have heard turmeric is such a great anti-inflammatory herb. I am going to have to look up bowsellia as I don't know anything about it.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry to be so late getting around, Kathy. We've had terrible & intermittant internet for a couple of days - often less than 1 megabyte download!

    Doing big size crafting like spinning and quilting in small spaces is a real challenge! My head is spinning with all the projects you have in process. I wouldn't be able to decide what to do next - lol.

    I can only see one blue jay and the photo won't enlarge (probably because of our slow internet speed). He's beautiful! So is the cardinal in the shot above. The last bird picture with so many different types just took my breath away.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lots of treasures in your craft room. You are definitely spoiling those wildlife! :) So lovely to see up close.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit