Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Voted & Acorns

   Larry got his absentee ballot in the mail a few days ago-so he voted, and I drove in to the courthouse to vote. I called and was able to bring his ballot in with me, instead of mailing-I just had to sign some papers. I have always drove in on election day and voted-but I decided to drive in to the courthouse instead early and while the weather is much nicer too. 

  I was the only one there voting-I drove in early though, so it was really nice. My eyes are getting bad from the dry eye issue so wanted to drive in with less traffic too. This time there were numerous issues to vote on-the only one I said yes to was that only American citizens  can vote in our elections here in Missouri-no illegals that the left is pushing-I really don't understand that-they are illegals 

   The oak trees are fully loaded with acorns. Every day for a couple weeks now they are constantly falling on the roof down to the deck. The floor is totally covered every day-so I just blow them off. Yesterday I got to thinking-what about acorn ink or dye??  

  So I found a really good ink recipe that I want to make. Only thing is that this needs to be made outdoors do to the odors in the cooking process. I need to figure out a firesafe spot to do that.

  Here in this article that I found (I had read several but liked this one the best)   she gives  options with using the caps too or not.  I also found this dye recipe  and this was an interesting video by another artist  I have lots of my handspun wool that is white-but I am not up to the mordant process (fixative) right now

  I grabbed a little paper bag and gathered up a bunch of acorns and caps just now When they fall the caps come off the nut.



I need to bring this amaryllis pot of bulbs indoors soon-we got down to the low 40's F last night, this will not survive a freeze


Happy mid week!

6 comments:

  1. Your acorns look so different than ours. We have a red oak.
    Maybe we should swap acorns??? just few. I have dyed wool with comes ours before and it comes out golden brownish.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should look at the leaves to know what oaks these are-the acorns are really large. what mordant do you use for the wool before dying?

      Delete
    2. I just looked up what oaks grow here at lake in the ozarks-and said mostly white oak

      Delete
    3. yes we could swap some acorns-I will collect some tomorrow

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit