Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Food Wednesdays

 Welcome to Food Wednesdays.

      Everyone is Welcome to join and link up with your Food Wednesdays Post. 

   No rules, as this is all about sharing Food, anything you wish to share about Food--a recipe, restaurant, cookbook, and more

  This week I thought I would share a couple things I have not made in awhile. Chia pudding, and Japanese veggie pickling

   I had a taste for chia pudding, so I grabbed almond milk and the chia seeds. When I first tried making this it turned out so lumpy that it was awful.  I found a recipe that fixed that for me


The "secret" is to combine the milk and chia seeds stir well, wait for a few minutes and then when it has started to thicken stir well again. Pour into your covered container and place in the frig.

    I used half water and half almond milk, the chia seeds, and a little stevia


In just a few minutes it will thicken up-stir well again


This  batch was a little thicker than I like, sometimes that happens, so I just stirred in a little more almond milk   Fruit makes a nice addition.  I am always dealing with digestive issues from time to time, and chia pudding is suppose to be good for that. If you check online there are lots of recipe ideas for this pudding.


   I still had most of the small head of cabbage left over from our St Patrick's day meal last month, that needed to get used up.  

    Just after we purchased our lake home, around 2 1/2 years ago my husband needed a heart valve replacement. One of the new medicines he has to take now is not friendly with healthy veggies-anything high in Vit K, so it makes meal planning a challenge sometimes.

   Cabbage is one of those veggies but if I turn this into a sauerkraut  type dish it greatly decreases the Vit K  When I was dealing with some major digestive issues years back, I learned about the Japanese veggie press, that gives a fresh fermented veggie pickle. One can combine all sorts of different veggies that you like and add different spices too. 

   The simple version is hand cut the cabbage, I also added a few radishes thinly sliced.


Sprinkle salt over each layer as you add it to the press I keep this salt around for the few times I use salt in cooking


There is a knob on top of the press that you turn to squeeze down the veggies


After just a a couple hours or less you will see the liquid cover the top of the veggies, if you don't see it then you need to add a bit more salt.


  This will be ready to eat in as little as 24 hours, but Hubs likes it to ferment longer. One time it turned into a kimchi that he raved about-of course I haven't been able to duplicate that again.

Tuesday morning update with the cabbage. I should have sliced the cabbage a bit thinner so it would get soft faster. It is good crunchy too but Larry likes this more like a kimchi.  So this morning I poured this into a colander and rinsed well with cold water. Rinsed out the press and then re layered it with more salt on each layer. Squeezed it down and will watch for the liquid to cover the top


and just for fun Larry spotted this cute little snail on our steps



after the photos I moved him over to the soil so he wouldn't get stepped on


Now it's your turn to link up and share your Food Wednesday's Post. Please link up with your Food Wednesday url and not your blog url thanks.  

Since this is still a new link up, if you can please check back again late in the day on Wednesday to catch everyone that has linked up through out the day thanks.



29 comments:

  1. Your chia pudding looks good Kathy! That press looks really handy! ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I hadn't made either of these in a couple years now. enjoyed the pudding

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of chia pudding. It reminds me a bit of tapioca. I'd have to find another recipe to try it as I am allergic to almonds, but I'm sure they are out there so I'll have to look.. And I've also never heard of a Japanese veggie press, but what a good way to make fermented veggies. I should look into one of those. Have a great Wednesday Kathy. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chia pudding was new to me too, yes it is quite similar to tapioca. You can use any kind of milk you wish. The veggie press is fun to try different veggies

      Delete
  3. The chia pudding looks delicious, I have some, I should try your recipe thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really good, similar in texture to tapioca pudding. You can also use any milk of choice

      Delete
  4. Never heard of the Japanese press but hubby and I have come to love kimchi and similar knowing that cabbage and fermented veggies are so good for you:) Hubby doesn't like puddings for the most part- never did, so I'll pass on the chia pudding. Interesting though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you search online you can find some videos and recipe ideas for the Japanese press.
      My husband would not eat the chia pudding either but he does love tapioca and other puddings. Thank you for sharing your shrimp dish with us for Food Wednesdays

      Delete
  5. Sweet tooth is asleep, but your veggies sound great - can I use the NINJA for that?
    Oh, yes, we used to ride the vit k-train, too. Just the other way round as Ingo took blood thinner (it was not the right thing to do - doctors, ahhhhh!). I´ve never seen kimchi here, so I´d be eager to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what ninja do you have? this is a press for the veggies, that flat piece you see is attached to a long screw up to the knob on top that you twist down on to the veggies. when we used to make large batches of sauerkraut to can in a large crock I would place a flat large plate and add a heavy rock to it to smash down on top-similiar concept

      Delete
  6. That veggie press seems really practical and would be a great tool to make sauerkraut too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very interesting I have never made sauerkraut husband does not care for anything fermented ad I love it all.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the ferment instructions
    Cabbage is a treat in summer. Its nice to have a different way of using it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is an interesting pudding. I never thought to use chia seed that way. Thanks so much. Have a great day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just learned about the chia pudding a couple of years ago from a keto site I think. allot of different recipe ideas online Happy Food Wednesdays

      Delete
  10. Never been a fan of chia seeds Kathy.. but my daughter loves them. I'll pass this idea to her! She'll love it! I cringe at the salt in the cabbage... we stay away from salt too for hubby's health... The pictures you took and the directions were wonderful Kathy! Do you have trouble getting blogger to list your pictures in the right order?? Happy Food Wednesday!! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only make this pudding with chia seeds as it is similar in texture to tapioca pudding which I really like but doesn't need the eggs in it.
      I am very careful with salt too-I don't buy hardly any canned foods with salt and I do read the labels. I will rinse this really well with cold water-which I do with sauerkraut in a jar too which gets rid of allot of the salt. and these types of foods are treat and only eaten a few times a year
      I post each photo seperate so they go in order. Thanks for sharing your food wednesdays post with us

      Delete
    2. I also post all my photos in order so when I'm writing my posts the words match up with the right photos.

      Delete
    3. yes I found that to be the best way too so the photos do not get mixed up

      Delete
  11. Always yummy food at your place, wish I lived next door! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't heard of chia pudding, but I have chia seeds so I could try that. I also didn't know about the Japanese veggie press, that is really interesting. I will look into that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the chia pudding and then when I eat a small dish of it I like to add fruits. depending on which milk you use it may get a little stiff the next day but a little more milk or fruit juice is perfect to add to it. I hadn't used the Japanese veggie press in sometime it's wonderful experimenting with fresh garden veggies

      Delete
  13. I've never heard of chai seeds, but I love tapioca. For some reason, I've never been a fan of cabbage, even though I absolutely LOVE Brussels sprouts. Go figure. Hope all is well in your cooking world. Quite an eclectic set of recipes today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband loves brussels sprouts too and they are very high in the vit K sigh I do serve them a couple times a month. I think cabbage can be more bland too-so need to season up the cabbage more
      I agree I enjoyed all of the link ups this week

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Hi Jan I do really enjoy the chia pudding. I just did a second batch with a but more milk added and much nicer now

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit